US Dept of Commerce Demanding Holster Sales Records

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

US Dept of Commerce Demanding Holster Sales Records

Post by Excaliber »

The US Department of Commerce is demanding records of holster sales from manufacturers. The data demanded includes where they were delivered. Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

parabelum

Re: US Dept of Commerce Demanding Holster Sales Records

Post by parabelum »

Pretty sure they are violating several of their own statues on privacy with this one. But who cares, right? Everything is upside down.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

no law mandating these companies comply correct?

so we all should go buy 40 holsters to skew the data :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Someone is making things up to scare people. The actual survey is available and you can see the questions at the census bureau web site. It asks each company to list where they shipped things to by city (with no addresses provided), how it was shipped, and the material shipped by a very generic term. The example for the description of what was shipped was "Mechanical Machinery". If I were shipping holsters, I could use the term "leather goods" and be completely legit. The only time it is more specific is if you shipped hazardous material. Then it wants to know the material by the hazmat code and asks for some information on the packaging.

Oh yeah, if you shipped more than 40 shipments, you only need to send in a sample of them, not all of them. And it is only for a short time period, not every shipment made ever. In addition, it is a sample of companies, not every company everywhere. There is no way this is building up any registry of anything.
Steve Rothstein

E10

Post by E10 »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:12 pmso we all should go buy 40 holsters to skew the data :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
I’m already there. After all my experiments with IWB, OWB, leather vs kydex, black vs brown, etc., etc., I’ve got far more holsters than guns.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

srothstein wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 pm Someone is making things up to scare people. The actual survey is available and you can see the questions at the census bureau web site. It asks each company to list where they shipped things to by city (with no addresses provided), how it was shipped, and the material shipped by a very generic term. The example for the description of what was shipped was "Mechanical Machinery". If I were shipping holsters, I could use the term "leather goods" and be completely legit. The only time it is more specific is if you shipped hazardous material. Then it wants to know the material by the hazmat code and asks for some information on the packaging.

Oh yeah, if you shipped more than 40 shipments, you only need to send in a sample of them, not all of them. And it is only for a short time period, not every shipment made ever. In addition, it is a sample of companies, not every company everywhere. There is no way this is building up any registry of anything.
that makes more sense, but why are they looking for this data? are they truly trying to solve the logistics issues of the last 3 years?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

E10 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:42 pm
powerboatr wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:12 pmso we all should go buy 40 holsters to skew the data :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
I’m already there. After all my experiments with IWB, OWB, leather vs kydex, black vs brown, etc., etc., I’ve got far more holsters than guns.
Yeah, if they count my holsters, the media really WILL think I truly have an arsenal. 😂

For my carry guns I probably have 6 or 7 holsters to 1 gun. 😉
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”