Credit Card Processors to use newly created Gun Store Transaction Code

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Credit Card Processors to use newly created Gun Store Transaction Code

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:21 pm The GOP will save us.
That’s been said before. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Rafe wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:36 pm
parabelum wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:39 am “Senate Republicans demand credit card companies reverse decision to track gun store sales”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/sena ... tore-sales
The senators also demanded answers from the credit card companies on a number of issues surrounding the new labeling of gun store purchases, including their understanding of the ISO process, what input they gave the ISO, coordination with outside entities such as activist organizations or politicians, how the information will be used to curb suspicious firearm sales and how the financial privacy of law-abiding customers will be ensured.
I still contend that there is great confusion on that bolded part. Seems to me that our lawmakers are essentially ignorant of what the ISO is and how its global standards are applied. And despite empty-talking-head Letitia James, I'll wager a bet that this line from the Fox article is at least partly false:
New York City officials had put pressure on the ISO and banks to adopt the new code on gun shop sales.
I don't know how New York City officials could, or would go about, putting pressure on the International Organization for Standardization. I explained the basic ISO change process upstream. ISO officials in Geneva act in governance for the vote, but the votes themselves are cast, one per each, by the multiple countries participating on the commission for any given ISO standard. You can't pressure "ISO" because it isn't "ISO" deciding on changes to the standard. That's like idiot-boy Beto saying that Greg Abbott sets Texas state law. He doesn't. The legislature does.
Then it sounds like the Democrat Party wants to take credit for something they didn't do in an effort to shore up their voting base this fall. "Look, Democrat voters, we got a new purchasing code implemented so we can track all those evil gun owners!"

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Most of you have got it right. When a merchant applies to accept credit cards they are put into a category. My business is categorized as "General Merchandise" Many places like Academy, Bass Pro, etc. would be classified as either general merchandise or Sporting goods. So every purchase you make at that location will be that one code... If your receipt has a stick of gum, pair of shorts, ammunition and a firearm. It's all going to be classified as one type of item. Visa put out a statement last week saying that adding the new code to the merchant would do absolutely nothing as far as tracking gun sales. Even if you went to a gun store and purchased $500.00 in gun cleaning supplies nobody would know what you bought.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:05 am Then it sounds like the Democrat Party wants to take credit for something they didn't do in an effort to shore up their voting base this fall. "Look, Democrat voters, we got a new purchasing code implemented so we can track all those evil gun owners!"
That's my take, yes. Given that changes are only considered once a quarter by the teams representing the individual countries for a standard (and material has to be circulated with time allowance for review and response), I think it's unrealistic that the request for the new merchant codes was more recent than, say, June. More likely, the April/May timeframe.

So why didn't the dems tout their plan to code evil gun stores? That would have put initiation of the change request right in the timing sweetspot of the Uvalde "Let No Tragedy Go Unexploited" school shooting of May 24. Yet we heard absolute crickets about this until after the ISO board finalized and published the decision. Given The Three Ps of the dems' playbook (Prevaricate, Prevaricate, Prevaricate) it strikes me not unusual at all that Elizabeth Warren, Letitia James, and their ilk would learn about about this after the fact, and then pull out the megaphones to try to spin it to their base as if it were their idea and their "achievement." :mad5

After all, everything Biden, Harris, Pelosi, Schumer, et al. have done these last 19 months has been fantastic! Despite the evil, racist, fascist Republicans' best-efforts to destroy our democratic republic. And, of course, Trump accomplished nothing at all in his term as president other than send us into a deep well of despair...a dark well with stone walls strangely and menacingly uplit with blood-red spotlights. Oh. Wait. Wrong guy...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Cash is how I'll be rolling for now. Y'all have heard they are trying to get rid of cash, right? Tin foil hat time. Or is it?

Eliminating cash and going to all electronic payment for everything, coupled with stuff like this thread, gives governments the power to control what and how much we buy. If a particular food item is deemed to be not good for you then it cannot be purchased. Certain things can be limited. You've had enough bacon this month. You've purchased enough ammunition. That's enough gasoline this week. On and on and on.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964

Post by philip964 »

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

C-dub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 pm Cash is how I'll be rolling for now. Y'all have heard they are trying to get rid of cash, right? Tin foil hat time. Or is it?

Eliminating cash and going to all electronic payment for everything, coupled with stuff like this thread, gives governments the power to control what and how much we buy. If a particular food item is deemed to be not good for you then it cannot be purchased. Certain things can be limited. You've had enough bacon this month. You've purchased enough ammunition. That's enough gasoline this week. On and on and on.
Been in retail for 25 years (fortune 100). Cash does nothing to protect your privacy. In this case, it would, if the vendor allows cash (no one is required to), would allow you to complete the purchase, but it makes no difference in identifying you and everything about you the same as if you paid for with something like a credit card.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

chamberc wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:32 pm
C-dub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 pm Cash is how I'll be rolling for now. Y'all have heard they are trying to get rid of cash, right? Tin foil hat time. Or is it?

Been in retail for 25 years (fortune 100). Cash does nothing to protect your privacy. In this case, it would, if the vendor allows cash (no one is required to), would allow you to complete the purchase, but it makes no difference in identifying you and everything about you the same as if you paid for with something like a credit card.
I don't understand how that could be. For example, if my bank or the government determined that my Cherry Coke habit were unhealthy and I was only allowed to purchase up to three 20oz. bottles per week, but I paid for each of them with cash or the first three with a debit card and then a fourth with cash, how would they track that and know?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

C-dub wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:15 pm

I don't understand how that could be. For example, if my bank or the government determined that my Cherry Coke habit were unhealthy and I was only allowed to purchase up to three 20oz. bottles per week, but I paid for each of them with cash or the first three with a debit card and then a fourth with cash, how would they track that and know?
I didn't say they could stop it, I said they can track it to you as an individual. If you drive a car, ride a bus, or walk, we (private industry) and buy something with cash, we can track who you are and can tie exact purchases to you even if you spend cash. What will even surprise you more, is that even if you've NEVER visited our online ecommerce, we can tie all your other online activity to you, personally.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

chamberc wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:26 am
C-dub wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:15 pm

I didn't say they could stop it, I said they can track it to you as an individual. If you drive a car, ride a bus, or walk, we (private industry) and buy something with cash, we can track who you are and can tie exact purchases to you even if you spend cash. What will even surprise you more, is that even if you've NEVER visited our online ecommerce, we can tie all your other online activity to you, personally.
Okay, but I didn't ask how they would stop it if someone were using cash. I asked how would they track that and know if I paid for those extra cherry cokes with cash. Relating this to gun or ammo purchases, my LGS around the corner does accept cash even has a slightly discounted price for cash purchases. Or maybe it's a credit card penalty, IDK. They are aware of the credit companies tracking stuff and have seen increases in cash purchases as a result.

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rtschl »

Let's hope it is permanently stopped:

Top payment networks including American Express Co , Mastercard Inc (MA.N) and Visa Inc (V.N) said on Thursday they have paused work on implementing a new sales code for gun merchants, citing Republican pushback in various U.S. states on concerns about improper tracking of consumer behavior.

https://www.reuters.com/business/financ ... ce=twitter
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”