Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

The continued existence of the ATF is increasingly unwarranted based on the actions they're taking to convert otherwise law-abiding people into felons," he said. "My bill would abolish the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to try defunding the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to target the individual bureaucrats at the top of the ATF who have exceeded their authority in rulemaking. And if that doesn't work, we're going to take a meat cleaver to the statutes that the ATF believes broadly authorize their actions."
:cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces

Post by Grayling813 »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:18 pm Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces
The continued existence of the ATF is increasingly unwarranted based on the actions they're taking to convert otherwise law-abiding people into felons," he said. "My bill would abolish the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to try defunding the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to target the individual bureaucrats at the top of the ATF who have exceeded their authority in rulemaking. And if that doesn't work, we're going to take a meat cleaver to the statutes that the ATF believes broadly authorize their actions."
:cheers2:
Lots of talk....we'll see what, if anything, is actually done to rein in the ATF.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces

Post by The Annoyed Man »

With Bei Den Jo as POTUS, any RINOs in the House, and the Senate controlled by demmunists, this has zero chance of passing. Its primary value is to get on record those who would support it, and those who won’t. Then the won'ts can be dealt with later at the ballot box.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:39 pm With Bei Den Jo as POTUS, any RINOs in the House, and the Senate controlled by demmunists, this has zero chance of passing. Its primary value is to get on record those who would support it, and those who won’t. Then the won'ts can be dealt with later at the ballot box.
I'm stealing the "Bei Den Jo" moniker.

And, yep. While I don't mind the filing of the bill, it has zero probability of going anywhere. And the whole "if that doesn't work then we will" business is going to end up bleeding over into the next federal election and presidential administration, and be far too late to help with the immediate and very specific matter of the pistol braces. If at least some moratorium can't be slapped on the ATF ASAP, I believe literally millions of law-abiding citizens will be made instantly into felons. The Epoch Times (which I don't use because they require registration) wrote:
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) estimates that 3 million pistol braces have been sold. The GOA and other Second Amendment advocates put the number closer to 40 million.
The truth is probably somewhere in between, but I lean a lot more toward the 40 million than 3 million. That 3 million have been sold as part of complete firearms configured as pistols I can believe. But how many braces were sold as unregulated, and legally so, aftermarket items? And can any of those aftermarket owners expect to be notified? They can't. It's up to them to accidentally find the information in a news story, or to follow a firearm-related forum like this one.

Waiting until the rule is implemented and then, like the bump-stock matter, take years to go through the court and appellate systems would mean a very large number of Americans would become felons without knowing that they are. And after that 120-day transition period, I get the impression from the ruling that they're then simply hosed if they didn't know they had to, and did, take action before the "grace" period ended. They're already felons. What's their recourse then? Remove the brace, take an acetylene torch to it to reduce it polymer melt and bits of metal slag in an attempt to cover up their "crime"? Bury their braces four-feet deep in the backyard and wait for the courts to strike this ATF ban down as even more egregious than the failed bump-stock bid?

I really don't know what the best course of action is right now. If Congress can do anything peremptorily I assume it would need to also pass the Senate...which it wouldn't. Do the legal eagles and legislative activists on the forum have any recommendations for anything we can do? Or does my friend who has an AR pistol simply have to comply with this rule that will, ultimately and undoubtedly, be struck down as in violation of the 2A, and either register it as an SBR or remove and destroy the brace and be left with something that is pretty much unusable...unless you're Dwayne Johnson, it's unlikely you have the arm strength or the eyesight to shoot one of these safely and accurately without a brace.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Here is what we do.

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grayling813 »

Rep. Gaetz is approaching this wrong. What he should be doing is introducing legislation to repeal the NFA and all the infringements that followed it. Then the ATF's budget and personnel could be drastically reduced.

Repeal the NFA, or at minimum, remove suppressors, short barreled rifles/shotguns, bump stocks from it. That would be a good start.

Then tack this legislation on as an amendment to every bill introduced by either Dims or RINO. Especially the ones that are "we have to pass this bill."

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”