Open-Carry is a right, but concealed carry is not?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bubba1876
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Open-Carry is a right, but concealed carry is not?

Post by bubba1876 »

Oldgringo wrote: The more I think about it, the less I'm comfortable with the thought that every nut case out there could be running around, unbridled, with a loaded gun on his/her hip. Have y'all ever gone to a WalMart on Saturday?

My 2¢ worth :tiphat:
I don't think nut cases will be allowed a right to carry (in the real world, no constitutional argument) a weapon, concealed or unconcealed. As for Wally World, I have been there, and that's why I always exercise my CHL priviledges... :rock"
Glock 19

bubba1876

Post by bubba1876 »

Here's my opinion in the real world. I assume everyone is carrying a weapon, period. If everyone is open carry, it just meets my expectations.
However, if open carry becomes legal with a license, How are LEO's going to check everyone? They see an open carry, are they going to "card" everyone? And what constitutes open carry? Holstered only? Can I walk around with a pistol in my hand? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see LAW ABIDING CITIZENS be able to carry anyway possible. Just want to throw this thought out there.
Glock 19

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

bubba1876 wrote:
BigBlueDodge wrote: I would rather have the right for college students to concealed carry on campus. These are more important for me than Open Carry. I fear that this discussion of Open Carry is going to cannibalise more practical, and usefull gun rights laws
:iagree:

Remember VT !!
Has your state rep. received [url-http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 90&t=18703]one of these [/url]yet? It probably the most effective lobbying effort one can do for under 10 dollars.
Douva wrote:Lt. Governor David Dewhurst

Senator Kevin Elfite - District 1
Senator Robert Nichols - District 3
Senator Kirk Watson - District 14
Senator-Elect Joan Huffman - District 17
Senator Jeff Wentworth - District 25
Senator Robert Duncan - District 28

Rep. Bryan Hughes - District 5
Rep. Brandon Creighton - District 16
Rep. Craig Eiland - District 23
Rep. Patrick Rose - District 45
Rep. Valinda Bolton - District 47
Rep. Tom Craddick - District 82
Rep. Carl Isett - District 84
Rep. Joe Heflin - District 85
Rep. David Swinford - District 87
Rep. Joe Straus - District 121
Rep. Joe Driver - District 113
Rep. Allen Fletcher - District 130
The list so far
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

GaryAdrian
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GaryAdrian »

bubba1876 wrote:Here's my opinion in the real world. I assume everyone is carrying a weapon, period. If everyone is open carry, it just meets my expectations.
However, if open carry becomes legal with a license, How are LEO's going to check everyone? They see an open carry, are they going to "card" everyone? And what constitutes open carry? Holstered only? Can I walk around with a pistol in my hand? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see LAW ABIDING CITIZENS be able to carry anyway possible. Just want to throw this thought out there.
From what I understand, It will be a license to OC and it's will require a holster.
I see no problem in OC, as long as people are smart about it. In Louisianna, a pistol set out openly on a car seat next to you while traveling is no problem but I saw no one carry open anywhere except on hunting property and woods. I OC'd on my N-laws property and never got any looks from the neighbors passing by. BTW my N-laws has a big chunk of land there. Hunting is a way of life out there.
Go into town, I never saw anything that would upset anyone. Walmart or else. They left their guns in the pickup as they should except those that had an CCW .
My 3 cents worth.
Also: Dan Cooper (R – Anderson County)as introduced H. 3003, a bill to make South Carolina like most states where anyone legally allowed to own a handgun may carry it openly without any permit. And with 32 co-sponsors, including some heavy hitters, and considering that Cooper is the influential Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee, it sure looks like H. 3003 is goin’ to have some legs! :rules:
They only had 2,000 signatures calling for the decriminalization of open carry. Texas has over 52,000 and rising! We have the support of the Govenor and several Reps and Senitors.
Is it a right, YES. Should just anybody do so? No. Should the ones who can do so? Depends. A picnic with our OC peers exercising our rights peacefully and in full compliance with the law? Yep. Just any ole where we please? THINK ABOUT IT! Be Real! Don't scare the kiddies! Or the children for that matter. :nono:
I believe in exercising rights but not to a point of stupidity. It took a long time to get here, lets not mess it up!

Gary
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

kryten67

Post by kryten67 »

Hello all, I was crusing through all the posts and thought this article pretty much sums up all the things needed for us to follow the constitution. Its a little long in the reading and will probably not make NRA members to happy. http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2007/tle401-20070114-03.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am 100% behind this guys thinking.

Thanks

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Oldgringo wrote:I agree with Chas. and The Annoyed Man if they said what I think they said.

An "in your face" open carry position is not in our long term best interests in the larger scheme of things. As TAM suggests, open carry, should it ever pass, must have some qualification/license attached to it, IMHO. Would you want everybody running around in a car/truck without some qualifying process? Yeah, yeah...I know, the constitution doesn't mention cars and trucks but that was then and this is now.

The more I think about it, the less I'm comfortable with the thought that every nut case out there could be running around, unbridled, with a loaded gun on his/her hip. Have y'all ever gone to a WalMart on Saturday?

My 2¢ worth :tiphat:
I do not agree...And it is a friendly dissagreement sir...

I believe our society today has been dumbed down and forced into an immature, entitlement based, and intellectually lazy existance...

To understand that we have been led to believe that it is a privalege to carry a firearm openly or concealed thru legislation that is considered by some to be above the Constitution and its amendments is intellectually lazy...

To carry a firearm is a moral, individual, and most important, an "empowerment", that without saying a word, becomes a statement by that individual that they are more respectful of life than the ability to take a life in the defense of themselves and others against the evils we come across in our daily lives...

Even though I associate with some great people of like mind, I feel embarrased that I have to pay the "state" a fee and jump thru hoops to exercise a moral and individual right to keep and bear arms, in a manner "they" deem acceptable and regulate my doing so...

A co-worker came to me this week asking me what I thought the founding fathers would think if they were to awaken to this "new" normal...And I thought how they might be enraged by how society today has crumbled into decay as much as it has since they turned it over to us...

I thought about it further, and if the like of those people (founding fathers) came up to me and said, "How did you let it get this bad?"

That to me was more embarrasing than anything I have thought about in a long time...I honestly feel I have failed as an individual citizen of this country for allowing our lives to be so regulated and infringed upon that issues like "Can I open carry a gun." have become such a polarizing and devisive issue even amoung ourselves that it hurts me to the core...

And I feel that it is only going to get worse until the time it becomes necessary to sever the political bonds again...But that is for another discussion...

But in my opinion, open carry is an issue that should be given considerable thought as to why it is illegal, should it remain illegal or be regulated as a concession (to be allowed to be practiced by a select few who pay a fee) to something that should never had been made illegal in the first place...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

kryten67 wrote:Hello all, I was crusing through all the posts and thought this article pretty much sums up all the things needed for us to follow the constitution. Its a little long in the reading and will probably not make NRA members to happy. http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2007/tle401-20070114-03.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am 100% behind this guys thinking.

Thanks
I've been a Life Member since 1973 and believe kryten67's echo of Smith's piece to be correct. What the NRA does (or doesn't say) has a huge impact upon the OC/Non-OC movement.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

bubba1876

Post by bubba1876 »

Liberty wrote: Has your state rep. received [url-http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 90&t=18703]one of these [/url]yet? It probably the most effective lobbying effort one can do for under 10 dollars.
Douva wrote:Lt. Governor David Dewhurst

Senator Kevin Elfite - District 1
Senator Robert Nichols - District 3
Senator Kirk Watson - District 14
Senator-Elect Joan Huffman - District 17
Senator Jeff Wentworth - District 25
Senator Robert Duncan - District 28

Rep. Bryan Hughes - District 5
Rep. Brandon Creighton - District 16
Rep. Craig Eiland - District 23
Rep. Patrick Rose - District 45
Rep. Valinda Bolton - District 47
Rep. Tom Craddick - District 82
Rep. Carl Isett - District 84
Rep. Joe Heflin - District 85
Rep. David Swinford - District 87
Rep. Joe Straus - District 121
Rep. Joe Driver - District 113
Rep. Allen Fletcher - District 130
The list so far
I don't believe my reps are listed. They are TX State Senators Jane Nelson (District 12) and Chris Harris (District 9). TX State Representatives are Myra Crownover (District 64) and Burt Solomons (District 65).

I was wondering if someone could update the list, since it's a couple of weeks old.
Glock 19

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”