Obama administration backs Nat'l Parks rule change

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 3

Obama administration backs Nat'l Parks rule change

Post by mr.72 »

Fox News wrote: Obama Defends Bush Rule on Permitting Guns in National Parks
The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allows visitors to bring concealed, loaded guns into national parks and wildlife refuges.

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Obama administration is going to bat for former President Bush by defending his last-minute rule allowing loaded guns in national parks.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that while the Interior Department is internally reviewing whether the measure passes environmental muster, the Justice Department sought to block a preliminary injunction of the controversial rule in response to a lawsuit filed Friday by gun-control and environmental groups.

The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allows visitors to bring concealed, loaded guns into national parks and wildlife refuges. For more than 20 years, they were allowed in such areas only if they were unloaded or stored and dismantled.

The three groups fighting to overturn the rule are the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees. They contend that the Bush administration violated several laws in issuing the rule, such as failing to conduct a sufficient environmental review under the National Environmental Policy Act. They also claim that the new policy could discourage some visitors from visiting national landmarks.

But the Justice Department said in its reply that the new rule "does not alter the environmental status quo, and will not have any significant impacts on public health and safety."

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has requested an internal assessment of whether the measure has any environmental impacts the government needs to take into account, an Interior spokesman told the newspaper Monday.
Emphasis is mine.

Of course the only flimsy environmental angle will likely be the idea that somehow ammunition is going to be disposed of in such a way as to contribute to heavy metal contamination of the soil or water table. This will have zero traction considering the fact that the primary cause of such contamination would not be a result of carrying guns, but rather firing them. Even if you consider the accidental or intentional disposal of live ammunition or you lose/drop your gun off of a cliff or something, the impact to the environment will be immeasurably small. The environmental hoop is one that any Democrat administration would have to jump through regardless of what they really think.
non-conformist CHL holder

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Obama administration backs Nat'l Parks rule change

Post by Oldgringo »

That's a bit of good news from the POTUS.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will) but while carrying is okay, I think recreational firing in a NP is still not okay.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

But that's unpossible! Obama's administration wants to ban concealed carry!

Seriously though, I'm glad his administration is getting one right, even if they threaten to get a bunch else wrong later on.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

No President could get it all right all the time. I'll take whatever liberty I can get.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

A very tiny, devious part of my mind is thinking, Obama is all about misdirection. He makes mouth noises like a gun-grabber and what happens? AR-15s, all kinds of handguns, powder, primers, bullets, and all the factory ammo in the country flies out the door and into the hands of The People. The best way to sell guns and ammo is to threaten to ban them. Maybe he wants the populace armed and ready to defend themselves and the Country.

I know this is foolish, wishful thinking, but it does no real harm to have a pleasant thought every once in a while.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Could be a Trojan horse. Do not become complacent. :headscratch
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

HighVelocity wrote:Could be a Trojan horse. Do not become complacent. :headscratch
...and we all know what Trojans are used for.... :lol::
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

I'll take whatever liberty I can get.
That's a modern day spin on Patrick Henry. Imagine the ridicule if he had said that. The horror, the horror. :headscratch

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

casingpoint wrote:
I'll take whatever liberty I can get.
That's a modern day spin on Patrick Henry. Imagine the ridicule if he had said that. The horror, the horror. :headscratch
We would all be dead if we took a stand like Patrick Henry.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”