Swine flu

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fredtubbs
Posts in topic: 2

Swine flu

Post by fredtubbs »

The swine flu news is beginning to percolate and as it does the fear will likely grow. Whether this will become a real pandemic problem, I don't know. If it does, then one could start to ponder the economic and civil ramifications that could develop. My sense is that Mexico is ripe for a meltdown, and Texas will have to deal with it.

I would be lying if I didn't tell you that this morning I said to myself 'boy, am I glad I've been stock piling ammo the past few months.' Now I'm off to Sams Club to buy a few more supplies. I'm not a survivalist at all, but I am a realist.
Some call me Fred, some don't.

NRA Member
CHL
Bitter clinger

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Swine flu

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

fredtubbs wrote:I'm not a survivalist at all, but I am a realist.
Survivalism gets a bad name by the people who prefer to ignore signs of coming threats, and when needed to rely on government or the charity of others. Aesop called them the grasshoppers and for most of history, such people were seen as lazy or irresponsible.

This swine flu is one of dozens of threats that could affect us on a personal level. As we learned in Boy Scouts, it just makes good sense to be always prepared. For those of us with families, it is a duty.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

NuBer92

Post by NuBer92 »

i personally think that this is just a fabrication of the leftist propaganda machine to take away the focus of the corrupts feinstein and her illegal dealings with CB Richard Ellis. and also the Representitive who was recorded on a wire tap by the NSA. Lets keep our eye on the ball. They only show us what they want us to see.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Not to downplay this, but the media is looking for the new "crisis" to bombard the unwashed masses about this issue...They do not know squat about this stuff, and anyone they bring on outside the real doctors and scientist finishing up the work already started on the "treatment", are full of it...Just because they make bad TV...

Yep, its dangerous, but the real danger lies in the knee-jerk reactions and statements by armchair doctors and other assorted media hacks are more so in situations like this...

Go to your doctor, get a quick checkup...Document where your body is (snapshot), and keep track of any changes...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

stevie_d_64 wrote:the media is looking for the new "crisis"...
Many people in Mexico are saying just the opposite.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeny Gregorio Dávila, Mexico City wrote:I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from "under control". As a doctor, I realise that the media does not report the truth.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Bullets and other ordnance aside for the moment, you reckon they have the vaccine at the County Health Centers? I don't like having any kind of flu and I'll probably really hate the swine flu.

Frost
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Frost »

never mind
It can happen here.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Last time it was the Asian bird flu that was going to kill everyone. Before that, it was SARS. AIDS, fire ants, killer bees. The media overplays everything.
Byron Dickens

txfireguy2003

Post by txfireguy2003 »

I was working in the ER earlier today and we lost count of how many people we had come in thinking they had swine flu. Here's what the doctors are saying, I mean the real doctors that are actually in the hospitals treating patients, not the "Doctors" that are in some lab working in hypotheticals. Swine Flu, like any other flu is a mutation. Flu mutates, that's why we have to get a new vaccine every year, it's a different strain each year. Swine Flu is no more deadly than your run of the mill everyday flu. People are not dying from swine flu, they are dying from the respiratory distress and dehydration caused by it because they either have underlying medical problems, or they don't seek medical care. The only thing that is bothersome is that this strain crosses species, but there are hundres of other diseases that have been doing that for centuries, so that's nothing huge either. To put things into perspective....20,000 people die as a result of complications associated with the common flu every year. This is media hype....I won't say liberal media, but, well, they are, and it's understood. There is no vaccine for this one as it was previously unknown, but the treatment for this flu and any other common flu is the same. Tamiflu, respiratory support as needed, and rehydration as needed. Overall, if you get sick, go see your doctor and you'll be fine. Oh, and before someone thinks that my information comes from some podunk ER doc, this came from the director of one of the largest and most advanced ER's in the state.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

txfireguy2003 wrote:I was working in the ER earlier today and we lost count of how many people we had come in thinking they had swine flu. Here's what the doctors are saying, I mean the real doctors that are actually in the hospitals treating patients, not the "Doctors" that are in some lab working in hypotheticals. Swine Flu, like any other flu is a mutation. Flu mutates, that's why we have to get a new vaccine every year, it's a different strain each year. Swine Flu is no more deadly than your run of the mill everyday flu. People are not dying from swine flu, they are dying from the respiratory distress and dehydration caused by it because they either have underlying medical problems, or they don't seek medical care. The only thing that is bothersome is that this strain crosses species, but there are hundres of other diseases that have been doing that for centuries, so that's nothing huge either. To put things into perspective....20,000 people die as a result of complications associated with the common flu every year. This is media hype....I won't say liberal media, but, well, they are, and it's understood. There is no vaccine for this one as it was previously unknown, but the treatment for this flu and any other common flu is the same. Tamiflu, respiratory support as needed, and rehydration as needed. Overall, if you get sick, go see your doctor and you'll be fine. Oh, and before someone thinks that my information comes from some podunk ER doc, this came from the director of one of the largest and most advanced ER's in the state.
Thanks for the update. Now if I could stop this consarned "Oinking", maybe my wife would come back. "rlol"

Topic author
fredtubbs

Post by fredtubbs »

I don't disagree that this is likely a case of media hype. But, media hype (which creates all those people in the ER who think they have killer pig flu) helps bring us closer to a break down in civil order. Hence... good thing I'm loaded up on ammo.
Some call me Fred, some don't.

NRA Member
CHL
Bitter clinger

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

txfireguy2003, did he mention the threat of cytokine storms? I'd be interested to hear what he thinks of that.

dleewo

Post by dleewo »

txfireguy2003 wrote: To put things into perspective....20,000 people die as a result of complications associated with the common flu every year. .
That actually does put it into perspective. I don't know if 20,000 is in the US or worldwide, but that is almost 55 people per day whereas the current reported deaths from swine flu is just over 100 over several days.
Tarrant County
03/26/2009 - Completed online application
03/28/2009 - CHL class
04/02/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
05/18/2009 - Status changed to "Processing Application"
07/04/2009 - Status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
07/09/2009 - Plastic in Hand

Biga9999

Post by Biga9999 »

If nothing happens, you are called paranoid. If something happens, you are called prepared. :)

TheArmedFarmer wrote:
fredtubbs wrote:I'm not a survivalist at all, but I am a realist.
Survivalism gets a bad name by the people who prefer to ignore signs of coming threats, and when needed to rely on government or the charity of others. Aesop called them the grasshoppers and for most of history, such people were seen as lazy or irresponsible.

This swine flu is one of dozens of threats that could affect us on a personal level. As we learned in Boy Scouts, it just makes good sense to be always prepared. For those of us with families, it is a duty.
"Eat, Drink and be Merry, for tomorrow we die"
David J Matthews

CHL Class 03/14/09
Mailed to DPS 03/16/09
DPS received 03/19/09
Processing 04/30/09
Approved 06/19/09
In hand 06/23/09

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

With our medical facility's in the U.S. items like this can certainly be overstated by our media, and will be when there are other items of concern that should be in our headlines. However in a country like Mexico what is overstated here can certainly be understated there. Those of us who share their border should still be prepared for what may come. If it gets out of hand down there you can bet there will be a mass exodus.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”