On Campus CHL Course at Texas Tech

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kory Zipperer
Posts in topic: 4

On Campus CHL Course at Texas Tech

Post by Kory Zipperer »

Hope everyone is having a wonderful 2011! (so far!)

And what better way to kick it off than with the first ever CHL course held on the Texas Tech campus! Slotted to take place January 29th, this event is sponsored by the Tech and UT chapters of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. We hope to use this class to draw attention to the fact that not all college students support student disarmament. The course also offers an affordable opportunity for college students to receive their CHL, as the class is being offered at half price. There's even a free lunch!

So, if you're a student and/or employee of Texas Tech interested in getting your CHL, or you know of someone that is, please let them know about this offer!
We're also offering renewals!

You can sign up at this link:

http://www.chlclasstx.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spread the word, as the more people know about this class (and the more anti's who get upset about it), the more attention will be drawn to our cause!

Thank you!
-Kory Zipperer, UT Students for Concealed Carry

P.S. - I will remove the link if I am not supposed to advertise a CHL class on this forum. I figured this was the appropriate place to put it, as the class is being held to make a political statement, not make a financial profit. Sorry in advance!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: On Campus CHL Course at Texas Tech

Post by Liberty »

I think normally posting for a CHL class would be a violation in this subgroup,
But this particular class is a political statement, by an activist group, to make a point to a support a proposed bill.
I hope the mods feel the same way.
The Concealed Carry on Campus groups have earned a lot of respect from us RKBA advocates.
Keep up the good work,
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty wrote:I think normally posting for a CHL class would be a violation in this subgroup,
But this particular class is a political statement, by an activist group, to make a point to a support a proposed bill.
I hope the mods feel the same way.
The Concealed Carry on Campus groups have earned a lot of respect from us RKBA advocates.
Keep up the good work,
Correct! Korey is doing a great job of promoting CHL on college campuses. He even did one at UT/Austin!

Chas.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

As a resident of Lubbock I think this is great. You should get a good turn out.

I'm sure everything is covered but if you need any help with the class or qualifying (or serving lunch, etc) I'd be happy to help.

Mike
http://www.talonchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, does it count as a "campus CHL course" if I've been holding classes on a Pre-K-12 campus? :thumbs2:

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

I am thrilled beyond belief that Kory and the others in this group continue forward in their endevors.
As Charlton Heston asked in the Torch Without a Flame piece: Who will we pass the flame to, well we have torch bearers coming, and we have those like Kory who have picked up the torch and running with it. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

Topic author
Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

45 4 life wrote:I am thrilled beyond belief that Kory and the others in this group continue forward in their endevors.
As Charlton Heston asked in the Torch Without a Flame piece: Who will we pass the flame to, well we have torch bearers coming, and we have those like Kory who have picked up the torch and running with it. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Thank you!

51 people are signed up for the course! And counting!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

45 4 life wrote:I am thrilled beyond belief that Kory and the others in this group continue forward in their endevors.
Well, Lubbock is a little far for me, but I passed the torch at Christmas by giving my son and his girlfriend gift certificates to attend a CHL class this coming Saturday, taught by Crossfire. He turned 21 on Monday, and one of his birthday presents is the $140 to pay for processing his application.

I started him shooting when he was about 6 years old. When his future children reach the age of majority, if people still have to have permits to carry guns by then, I am sure he will do the same for them as I did for him. If permits are no longer necessary, then he'll raise them to carry as soon as the law allows. And if guns have been completely banned, he'll be a member of the local Maquis.

I call that passing the torch.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

We reached our limit! 80 people signed up. Class is full. Thank you!

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Kory Zipperer wrote:We reached our limit! 80 people signed up. Class is full. Thank you!
Excellent Kory! :tiphat:

My hat is off to you and everyone who has worked so hard to make this a reality.

Good job young man!

Flint
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

It looks like you filled up your quota of 80 (a decidedly healthy number) in only a week. Am I reading that correctly? If so, there's some pragmatic evidence. It would be great if there are one or two of the university staff in that count, as well.

This is looking like an excellent event for the legislators to see!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Kory - That is fabulous! What a great job you have done with this!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

Skiprr wrote:It looks like you filled up your quota of 80 (a decidedly healthy number) in only a week. Am I reading that correctly? If so, there's some pragmatic evidence. It would be great if there are one or two of the university staff in that count, as well.

This is looking like an excellent event for the legislators to see!
We had 12 at the start up the week...the spots went quick! And I'm not deserving of the praise for this. That goes to the boys at Tech, they've been the man power behind organizing and advertising it. I organize the ones at UT.

Thanks again for your support! It should be a crazy day.

P.S. - Also, from what I've gathered from the records, a healthy number of those taking the class are faculty....so we'll have to make sure the legislature knows that!

ELB

Post by ELB »

This sounds great, that is an amazing turnout in a relatively short time frame.

My "dark thoughts" side tho warns me that the TT folks should watch out for infiltrators/provocateurs. There are ways to explain material, opinions, and jokes that can be made, that taken out of context and hyped by anti-gun press, might be less than flattering. Questions about recent controversial events, such as the Nevada (I think) Costco and the Tucson deal can draw out comments from instructors and students that a less-than-scrupulous editing, or outright misrepresentation, as recent events have shown, could be used to shift attention from the political statement CC campus wants to make.

Were I asked for my recommendations for the instructors and organizers :mrgreen: I would say stay glued to the prescribed material, only use examples that have been well thought out and researched in advance, and avoid free-lancing about current events.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”