obamacare upheld

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
comp73
Posts in topic: 4

obamacare upheld

Post by comp73 »

per scotusblog, Chief Justice joins the left to uphold obamacare
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

McKnife
Posts in topic: 1

Re: obamacare upheld

Post by McKnife »

*sigh*

Roberts went to the dark side. :mad5
:coolgleamA:

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 17

Post by mamabearCali »

So now if we don't buy our vegetables the govt can impose a tax? Is there any limit to the amount of taxes a gove can impose! How about if we don't wanto buy a certain brand car....can we be taxed for that? What a pandoras box has just been opened.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Topic author
comp73

Post by comp73 »

From what i am seeing, roberts upheld the act by deeming it constitutional under congress' taxing authority, not via commerce clause. the other 4 on the left deemed it ok under commerce clause

*edited due to typos due to shoulder surgery
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 8

Post by LikesShinyThings »

mamabearCali wrote:So now if we don't buy our vegetables the govt can impose a tax? Is there any limit to the amount of taxes a gove can impose! How about if we don't wanto buy a certain brand car....can we be taxed for that? What a pandoras box has just been opened.
It's coming. "Freedom" has been dying for some time. This is just the latest worst shot.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

AlphaWhiskey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AlphaWhiskey »

Welcome to the new Republik comrades!

AEA

Post by AEA »

This Country is on a fast downhill run and will never be what it was intended to be.

Lawyers control everything!
(If we do it as a tax we can't get it passed. We will get it passed under the commerce clause and then define it as a tax when the need comes).

Why not just do things right in the first place instead of misleading and sneaking around to get things done?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

Very, very sad day.

I work for a small business that had 1500 employees 10 years ago. In the town we are in there was an actual city bus line that came directly to the factory to get folks to work. Due to federal regulations we have moved appx. 1350 of those jobs offshore since then.

Instead of paying a penalty on the remaining 150 employees we will have to let 100 people go before Jan. 2014. to meet the "50 Employees and under exclusion."

Any growth we experience after that point will have to be overseas, as we simply cannot afford to be over the "50 Employee" mark.

Congrat's O'bama....
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

You know I just want to sit down and write an apology to my children. I tried, I did, to help preserve our freedom, but it was too little too late. May those who passed this pernicious destructive law with such deception rot in perdition.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

It's worse than the passing of the law. There is always a hope that the administration changes with the year. If that happens, there's a chance the law will be repealed. But that doesn't change to tragedy of the Supreme Court decision... the decision stands as precedent, even if this law goes away. With the precedent, there are other laws that can be passed that inflict further horrors.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Topic author
comp73

Post by comp73 »

link to opinion. p31 and 32 explain the "reasoning" for sustaining it.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11 ... 93c3a2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

LikesShinyThings wrote:It's worse than the passing of the law. There is always a hope that the administration changes with the year. If that happens, there's a chance the law will be repealed. But that doesn't change to tragedy of the Supreme Court decision... the decision stands as precedent, even if this law goes away. With the precedent, there are other laws that can be passed that inflict further horrors.

Exactly..now anything can be forced upon us as a tax. Govt wants to force you to eat bananas....if you don't buy bananas pay a tax. Gov wants to force you to use green energy...if you don't-- pay a tax. What a pandoras box.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

The interesting part of this is that SCOTUS upheld based on the tax argument presented by the Executive branch - and argument that had never been made public before. I've heard countless pundits say that the Obamacare argument was lost by the Dems because the opposition got out in front of it and mis-represented it. It will be interesting to see how the "win" is spun since it IS a tax. How does that square with the administration's claim that they haven't raised taxes?

If the Obamacare opposition cannot seize this opportunity, there really is no hope for anything.

Edit: Page 33 of the ruling confirms that the tax does not apply to anyone who does not pay Federal income taxes. Therefore, Affordable Care does NOTHING about medical costs for about nearly half of the population who don't pay taxes. This appears to be the loophole that the designers wanted to drive us to a single payer system. UK, here we come.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If you voted for Obama or for any democrat in Congress who voted for Obamacare, you are now officially my enemy, and I view you as an enemy of the nation.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by canvasbck »

Words, within forum guidelines, can not express what I am feeling right now. I do not want to be one of those people who hates our government, but they let me down time and time again. To have Roberts and not Kennedy deliver the death blow makes it even more difficult to believe in our system. This nation has lost it's way, and my hope of us getting back on track get dimmer with each action taken by our Federal Government.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”