Starbucks folds to antis

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Locked

SherwoodForest
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#91

Post by SherwoodForest » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:37 pm

*Housekeeping memo for 2015 legislative session-

Amend 46.02(a) to read "..................concealed handgun,........................."
Amend 46.035(a) ".....displays a handgun in plain view of another person in a threatening manner under circumstances wherein the threat of force is not justified.


bdickens
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#92

Post by bdickens » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:49 pm

cb1000rider wrote:
bdickens wrote:Thank you, all you in-your-face open-carry activists. Happy now?
Provide an alternative to inaction, please... Or detail that you accept the fact that we can't openly carry long guns in Texas.
I don't like it either, but due to inaction our "rights" are eroded away to the point that, in my opinion, we're more likely to get arrested over being left alone if walking around with an unloaded long gun...
How about writing Starbucks a letter expressing your appreciation of their policy of allowing law-abiding citizens to carry their lawfully carried sidearms in accordance with State law and indicating that because of that you will continue patronizing their business and encourage others to do so. Wrap it up with a brief reiteration of the non-problem that lawful gun carriers are.

That would be a lot more productive that a bunch of people showing up and pushing guns in everyone's face.

Starbucks said they didn't want to take sides on the issue and that they didn't want to be a battleground for it. But that wasn't good enough: y'all just had to turn it into a battlefield and ended up making them take sides.

When you demand all or nothing, what you most often end up with is nothing.
Byron Dickens

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#93

Post by Oldgringo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:49 pm

We all, including the CEO of Starbucks, have freedom of choice...'and that's all I have to say 'bout that'. :patriot:

User avatar

Texas_Blaze
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#94

Post by Texas_Blaze » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:08 pm

cprems wrote:This effectively serves as a 30.06 notice to all Texas CHL holders.
You're kidding, right?
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

User avatar

bizarrenormality
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#95

Post by bizarrenormality » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Some people know the law. Some people don't.
"Also if you can not be trusted with a pistol after a few drinks you can't be trusted with a pistol period. Booze is liquid bad judgment no doubt but it shouldn't make you into a damn moron. If you are a moron sober I don't know what to tell you." - BurnedOutLEO


cprems
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#96

Post by cprems » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Texas_Blaze wrote:
cprems wrote:This effectively serves as a 30.06 notice to all Texas CHL holders.
You're kidding, right?
Read my other posts. I explained my thought process. I know its not a "lawful" notice. It is notice all the same. There was also a segment on FOX news where he also said it applies to CHL (concealed) weapons too!
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

User avatar

A-R
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5776
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Austin area

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#97

Post by A-R » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I agree with this assessment ...
We have essentially forced neutral Switzerland into the hands of the Nazis.
http://practicaltacticalpodcast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#98

Post by Oldgringo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:46 pm

I went back and read the letter ...twice. It did not apply to me.

User avatar

LabRat
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#99

Post by LabRat » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Mrs. LabRat and I just closed our Starbucks accounts and had the balance remaining on our cards refunded to us in the form of a check.

Call taker was nice and quickly completed the transaction.

We explained the reason for the request for refunds and indicated we hope Starbucks will reconsider it's position on gun owners.
Also left an email at the company website citing our reasons for abandoning Starbucks. We'll find another place for java.

It's not personal; it's business.

LabRat
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you....but it's still on my list.
In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of Emergency notify...", I answered "a doctor"
This is not legal advice.

User avatar

goose
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: Katy-ish

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#100

Post by goose » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm

cprems wrote:Americans think it can't happen here or to them? You are wrong! Just take a look at the last 2 elections.
Again, who here has expressed the opinion that gun control can't happen here? We fight it every day. What have the last two elections done for federal gun control? You know why it hasn't done anything? Because the people you are accusing of doing nothing wrote letters, made donations and were engaged. Just as many state pro gun laws have been passed as anti. Thanks for coming here and telling us how we're screwing up your life. Were we (the US) your second choice? Was there someplace fighting the good fight better than we are? Please tell.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε


jmain
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#101

Post by jmain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 pm

I work for a large big box store.

A few weeks ago, my gm called me and stated that there were demonstrations going on with open carry individuals and that if anyone came into our biz, I was to call the police immediately.

I expressed my opinion and told him that this was exactly the response these "groups" were looking for and that I would not comply as I saw it as a negative for the unit AND that it wasn't legal. I expressed that if we fought, it would simply be a spring board for future demonstrations... (read a negative for 2nd amen rights).

The next day there were conference calls from the top brass. The statement my company came to was to "acknowledge and do not deny access to our business and do not call LEO".

I can't say that my words made the change of heart, but it was very apparent that someone agreed with what I stated. From this point, it has been a non issue for my company.

Had SB just kept quite, it probably would have just gone away. But, they have just catapulted every other corp biz to go to legal and officially post 30.06.

Not good for us.

I don't know if SB legal has contemplated the legalities of making SB's "gun free zones" considering how successful that has been for gov'mt installations recently.

Carry on, keep quite.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.


cprems
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#102

Post by cprems » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:07 pm

goose wrote:
cprems wrote:Americans think it can't happen here or to them? You are wrong! Just take a look at the last 2 elections.
Again, who here has expressed the opinion that gun control can't happen here? We fight it every day. What have the last two elections done for federal gun control? You know why it hasn't done anything? Because the people you are accusing of doing nothing wrote letters, made donations and were engaged. Just as many state pro gun laws have been passed as anti. Thanks for coming here and telling us how we're screwing up your life. Were we (the US) your second choice? Was there someplace fighting the good fight better than we are? Please tell.
Did I hit a nerve?

The comment was a generalized comment. Typically, Americans for the most part are apathetic when it comes to their rights. We assume that they will still be there. This presumption provides a false sense of security.

I said nothing about you screwing up my life. The comment was a generalized one. The US wasn't a second choice. It was the only choice I had at the time. I chose America because of the civil liberties and freedoms that many shed blood for. For the record, I am a US citizen, I chose the wonderful Country.

You fail to understand that I have lived this fight first hand. Apathy won!

I did my part. I wrote letters, made phone calls and even canvassed for Ted Cruz. I continue to do so today.

There (IMO) has been an anti "OC" issue on this thread. If we can't stick together, we fail, they win. It's really that simple. You may not like the way they do it but until you can come up with a better idea and get everyone together then they will continue. This is NOT CHL v OC... We should be joined solidly at the hip in whatever direction WE take.
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

User avatar

Wes
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Ft Worth
Contact:

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#103

Post by Wes » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:14 pm

So, since he did an interview and said he hopes it covers concealed carry as well, does this qualify as oral notice? If you watched the video? I assume this is pretty much untested but would like to get the opinions of the lawyers on the forum. If I am not legally welcome to carry in their stores, I most certainly want to know.

(1:45 in to this video if you want to see it " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 9313
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#104

Post by Beiruty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Wes wrote:So, since he did an interview and said he hopes it covers concealed carry as well, does this qualify as oral notice? If you watched the video? I assume this is pretty much untested but would like to get the opinions of the lawyers on the forum. If I am not legally welcome to carry in their stores, I most certainly want to know.

(1:45 in to this video if you want to see it " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I would not spend more money at Starbucks. Just because why in the world the CEO has to include the CC with his request? I assume I am not welcomed there so, I spend my money somewhere else.

How about this, at your next gun-friendly coffee stop,
Barista : Do you like some bullets with your morning coffee, Sir?
Me: 9mm brass FMJs, please. :hurry: :hurry: :hurry:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

#105

Post by jmra » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:53 pm

I hate to say I told you so but...
My quote from one of the early Starbucks threads
"jmra wrote:
Sounds to me that showing "appreciation" for Starbucks policy will mostly likely result in it being changed. We need to exercise our rights instead of flaunting them. When will we stop shooting ourselves in the foot?"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Locked

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”