Starbucks folds to antis

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Starbucks folds to antis

Post by CoffeeNut »

This is kind of disappointing but I've never seen a Starbucks with 30.06 and until I do they'll still get my infrequent business. I did participate in one of the "Starbucks Appreciation Days" and the place was slammed. My only form of "appreciation" was buying a coffee and burning up their wifi with my "I Love Guns and Coffee" emblazoned laptop.

I can understand why a corporation is fed up with their locations being treated as protest points that may or may not scare away customers but I can also see why us gun folk would want to make a point especially when there are so few mainstream places that would even tolerate open carry in their stores today.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: Yep..... I was afraid of this happening. I have never been successful at achieving anything positive with "in your face" tactics.
These tactics seem to work for some, mostly lefties and anarchist types who seldom suffer the wrath of the legal system. Their inherent immunity protects them whereas we would be thrown under the jail. Literally.

Anygunanywhere

Not seeing what that has to do with it. Plenty of protesters get arrested all the time.
This is not about the police, its about having your protest in a place of business thats totally not involved in the issue of the protest.
My comment was not about the police.

In your face tactics sway people's (especially politician's) opinions all the time when used by certain groups. That is a fact and you cannot ignore it. Yes, lots of those groups are arrested, but are never charged. If us gun guys did the same thing we would be arrested, charged, and prosecuted.

Anygunanywhere

Proof please.
Without the firearms you're just another protester.
I can't think of any Tea Partiers that were arrested.

Topbuilder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Topbuilder »

"First of all, you're wrong. Planter's extra crunchy is the best, and I'll fight you for it if I have to." :smilelol5:

As usual what you say is said well!
The rest of it too.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Topbuilder wrote:"First of all, you're wrong. Planter's extra crunchy is the best, and I'll fight you for it if I have to." :smilelol5:

As usual what you say is said well!
The rest of it too.
I didn't want to pick a fight, but Jif Creamy is the bees knees.
Planters with solids is good for baiting mouse traps.

:mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

I think this is a lose-lose for Starbucks. The OC people will not be detered until they post 30.06 legally. The anti's did not stop getting their fix. The CCW people who did nothing to create the problem, all have their panties in a wad and will really boycot. By not taking a side in the debate, he took a side in the debate...
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasCajun »

Topbuilder wrote:I think this is a lose-lose for Starbucks. The OC people will not be detered until they post 30.06 legally. The anti's did not stop getting their fix. The CCW people who did nothing to create the problem, all have their panties in a wad and will really boycot. By not taking a side in the debate, he took a side in the debate...
Posting 30.06 wouldn't have any effect on open carry as things currently stand.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I don't know guys....y'al go to their FB page....the antis feel like they won, big. and really if you read that second sentence, he's plain and simple, he says
respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.
he's not just talking about open carry.

We showed up on 2A appreciation days to show him we loved him, we showed up on days when the anti- were holding boycotts and we more than made up the numbers, and he's turned his back on us....I think he's shot himself in the foot (pun intended).

I'm actually interested to see how this is going to play out...
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

He really missed the mark here. He would have be much, much better served to say....

"We respectfully ask that our many locations not be used to host demonstrations or be a meeting house for political statements of any sort. Starbucks is about good coffee and a relaxing atmosphere, and we want to maintain that throughout our chain."
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

carlson1 wrote:This may be a perfect example of people Open Carrying their rifles in the stores to make a statement causes 30.06 signs in Texas.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening.
:banghead:
We can be, and often are, our own worst enemies. Pity. :roll:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.
I think he makes it very clear what side he is taking.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

CoffeeNut wrote:This is kind of disappointing but I've never seen a Starbucks with 30.06 and until I do they'll still get my infrequent business. I did participate in one of the "Starbucks Appreciation Days" and the place was slammed. My only form of "appreciation" was buying a coffee and burning up their wifi with my "I Love Guns and Coffee" emblazoned laptop.

I can understand why a corporation is fed up with their locations being treated as protest points that may or may not scare away customers but I can also see why us gun folk would want to make a point especially when there are so few mainstream places that would even tolerate open carry in their stores today.
If I'm not mistaken, this was the genesis of the Starbucks problem. The Antis organized a boycott of all of the stores that tolerated OC and all but Starbucks folded. Starbucks said that it would abide by the law and that OC was legal. Now, Starbucks, too, has folded. I'm not surprised. Seattle is hardly the hot bed of 2nd Amendment support and being the only one left out on a limb, Starbucks became the focal point of the antis actions.

I'm really conflicted about this. The protestors have proven time and time again that action beats inaction. When they protested at the homes of the bank executives, those bank executives abandoned good business sense and started making stupid housing loans - that lead us to the mortgage crisis. They picket illegally, do so with impunity on private property and seem to be winning the vast majority of these conflicts, this being the latest. I have seen very few of of these situations where a calmed, reasoned approach was successful. Only the Scott Walker recall and this year's abortion debate in Austin come to mind. Even with the latter, Davis and her minions were initially successful.

I agree with Anygun - if we employed similar tactics, we would all be arrested and prosecuted. I'm really getting tired of the media, law enforcement and the power of the government being used against me and my freedoms. At some point, we're going to have to figure out a way to counter the protest mindset or we are simply going to continue to get overrun and our freedoms diminished. I wish I had a better solution than counter-protests but I don't.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

couzin

Post by couzin »

carlson1 wrote:This may be a perfect example of people Open Carrying their rifles in the stores to make a statement causes 30.06 signs in Texas.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening.
:banghead:
Yep - been my position all along. The position of some of the open carry proponents may just cause a backlash around the country.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

This just made the main stream news in Austin.... :banghead:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/234602 ... not-banned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Proof please.
Without the firearms you're just another protester.
I can't think of any Tea Partiers that were arrested.
Here you go Dad.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... e-officers

http://www.bustle.com/#/articles/3241-t ... s-released

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/28/t ... -released/

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Thank you, all you in-your-face open-carry activists. Happy now?
Byron Dickens

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”