Obama just signed the UN Gun Ban treaty!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Obama just signed the UN Gun Ban treaty!

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Just got the following in my inbox from NRA:

Christopher,

Yesterday, President Barack Obama SIGNED the U.N. gun ban treaty.

You know what this means. Now Obama and the U.N. are one BIG step closer to wiping out our Second Amendment freedom, our national sovereignty, and our American rule of law...once and for all.

Only you and I can stop Obama and the U.N., but we have to act NOW.

Please sign NRA-ILA's Emergency Petition to the U.S. Senate as soon as you can.

Only the Senate can ratify treaties, so it's up to you and me to convince an overwhelming majority of U.S. Senators to vote NO on the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty. And we have to do it RIGHT NOW........
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Obama just signed the UN Gun Ban treaty!

Post by JALLEN »

The President can't do squat.

Just like Woodrow Wilson, let's see him get it ratified in the Senate. Most of those birds aren't as dumb as they look, or sometimes act. Most of them would rather be marinated in sheep poop than vote for something like that.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

JALLEN wrote:The President can't do squat.

Just like Woodrow Wilson, let's see him get it ratified in the Senate. Most of those birds aren't as dumb as they look, or sometimes act. Most of them would rather be marinated in sheep poop than vote for something like that.
I realize that, but it is just flabbergasting how little belief the democrats' president (he's no longer MY president) has in the sovereignty of the nation.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Donate, NOW, even $10 would help.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

wont make it threw as jallen has said

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

oh and TAM, it wasn't the emperor hisself it were his lacky toilet Kerry

AEA

Post by AEA »

MaoBama didn't sign anything...........John "Looser" Kerry did
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

Someone fill a dummie in:
How do export controls on everything from small arms to helicopters impact our 2nd amendment rights? Or is it a "just one more step" thing?

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

MaoBama didn't sign anything...........John "Looser" Kerry did
This is a difference with no real distinction.

The danger here from my understanding is the Marxists only have to wait until not enough of the opposition are present to call a vote to get approval of 60% of the Senators present at the time to effectively give all arms related rights over to the UN overlords. Just one more step on the path to absolute tyranny.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

cheezit wrote:wont make it threw as jallen has said
Sure, but what if the Democrats DID have a 2/3rds Senate majority? Nothing would have stopped the decimation of the constitution then.

Nothing.

Think about it.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Here is why I believe Obama, via his designated representative John Kerry, signed the UN Gun Treaty.

The signing does not make it law. What it means is Obama believes the treaty is a good idea and commits the administration to seeking ratification. The next step is to send the treaty to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations with a package of documents to go along with the treaty, including policy benefits and potential risks to the US, significant regulatory impact, analysis of the issues surrounding the treaty's implementation, whether it needs domestic implementing legislation or regulations to abide by the treaty, along with Reservations, Understandings, and/or Declarations (RUDS).

At this point the Senate Foreign Relations Committee can begin its consideration. It can vote to send the treaty to the full Senate for action. It can also decide to ignore the treaty entirely. However, if the Committee fails to act on the treaty, it is not returned to the President. Treaties, unlike other legislative measures, remain available to the Senate from one Congress to the next, until they are actively disposed of or withdrawn by the President.

I believe Harry Reid (D-NV) plans to have the Senate Foreign Relations Committee sit on the treaty until such a time as either the makeup of the Senate changes or, heaven forbid, there is another Sandy Hook type shooting and passions run high. It would be at that point, and maybe even with some trickery by calling in session without opponents present, that they would pass the treaty from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (chaired by Robert Menendez, D-NJ) to the Senate and by hook or by crook pass this monstrosity and send it back to Obama for implementation.

I believe they know that with the current makeup of the Senate there is no chance to pass this, but this doesn’t mean they cannot sit on the treaty and hope for something to change. Remember, Obama believes this to be a “good idea”, or else it would not have been signed, so all they require to pass it is the opportunity.

Look at the map of the Senate, should a super Katrina like event slam into Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama, 13 Republicans could go home to help their constituents leaving the Senate with 53 Democrats, 32 Republicans, and 2 Independents making a vote 55-32, or 63%, not quite there, but sprinkle in a few RINOs in and poof, a ratified UN Treaty on Small Arms becomes law of the United States.

The price of freedom is eternal diligence – and unless we can get this voted on and solidly rejected it could sit there until the time is right, and when the time is right I would expect the Marxist Party to pounce on it. Look at the proposed laws that come up after Sandy Hook and before the bodies were even laid to rest, don’t believe it is beneath them.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Looser"?

mewalke
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mewalke »

Apparently Canada's government has more respect for private gun owners than the US government... sad:

Canada holds off on arms trade treaty even after U.S. signs

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

cb1000rider wrote:Someone fill a dummie in:
How do export controls on everything from small arms to helicopters impact our 2nd amendment rights? Or is it a "just one more step" thing?
Jaguar wrote:Here is why I believe Obama, via his designated representative John Kerry, signed the UN Gun Treaty.

The signing does not make it law. What it means is Obama believes the treaty is a good idea and commits the administration to seeking ratification. The next step is to send the treaty to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations with a package of documents to go along with the treaty, including policy benefits and potential risks to the US, significant regulatory impact, analysis of the issues surrounding the treaty's implementation, whether it needs domestic implementing legislation or regulations to abide by the treaty, along with Reservations, Understandings, and/or Declarations (RUDS).

At this point the Senate Foreign Relations Committee can begin its consideration. It can vote to send the treaty to the full Senate for action. It can also decide to ignore the treaty entirely. However, if the Committee fails to act on the treaty, it is not returned to the President. Treaties, unlike other legislative measures, remain available to the Senate from one Congress to the next, until they are actively disposed of or withdrawn by the President.

I believe Harry Reid (D-NV) plans to have the Senate Foreign Relations Committee sit on the treaty until such a time as either the makeup of the Senate changes or, heaven forbid, there is another Sandy Hook type shooting and passions run high. It would be at that point, and maybe even with some trickery by calling in session without opponents present, that they would pass the treaty from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (chaired by Robert Menendez, D-NJ) to the Senate and by hook or by crook pass this monstrosity and send it back to Obama for implementation.

I believe they know that with the current makeup of the Senate there is no chance to pass this, but this doesn’t mean they cannot sit on the treaty and hope for something to change. Remember, Obama believes this to be a “good idea”, or else it would not have been signed, so all they require to pass it is the opportunity.

Look at the map of the Senate, should a super Katrina like event slam into Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama, 13 Republicans could go home to help their constituents leaving the Senate with 53 Democrats, 32 Republicans, and 2 Independents making a vote 55-32, or 63%, not quite there, but sprinkle in a few RINOs in and poof, a ratified UN Treaty on Small Arms becomes law of the United States.

The price of freedom is eternal diligence – and unless we can get this voted on and solidly rejected it could sit there until the time is right, and when the time is right I would expect the Marxist Party to pounce on it. Look at the proposed laws that come up after Sandy Hook and before the bodies were even laid to rest, don’t believe it is beneath them.
Jaguar explained why, partly, as well as I could. Here is some more:

http://www.rferl.org/content/un-arms-tr ... 17736.html
It requires countries to establish regulations for selling conventional weapons.

{snip}

What types of conventional weapons deals does the Arms Trade Treaty seek to regulate?

Conventional weapons covered by the UN Arms Trade Treaty include tanks and other armored combat vehicles, artillery, attack helicopters, naval warships, missiles and missile launchers, and small arms.

It also establishes common international standards for the regulation of the international trade in ammunition, weapons parts, and arms components.
The greatest danger of the treaty is that its definitions are overly broad and inclusive, rather than narrow and restrictive. So ultimately, if it passes, any administration or Congress could use it as a backdrop reason for more extensive domestic gun-control laws than we already have.

Furthermore, the U.S. already has in place the kind of export regulations called for by the treaty. We are already acting within its limits with regard to the export of arms. Why do we need to bind ourselves to a piece of paper if we are (allegedly) already doing the right thing? The treaty is one more step in delegitimizing the possession of firearms in terms of the world's perceptions of them.

Examples? Here: Fast & Furious. Already illegal under U.S. law. If the treaty is ratified, it is illegal under international law, and the U.S. must take internal measures to make sure that cartel members cannot do straw purchases and smuggle guns into Mexico. How? By removing "assault" weapons (an increasingly expanding category as California has just demonstrated by including shotguns as "assault weapons" in its new law) from the shelves of gun dealers.

And I used the term "allegedly" 2 paragraphs above because there have been times when the U.S. violated its own self-imposed pre-treaty export standards when it was geopolitically expedient to do so. That was because it was deemed by the powers that be at the time (a consequence of elected governments) that it was in our nation's interests to do so. Obama is the ultimate globalist, dedicated to hamstringing our own country in geopolitical terms. By signing this treaty and leaving it on the Senate's doorstep until such a day that the Senate might ratify it (reread Jaguar's post above), Obama commits the U.S. to a treaty that it may have to violate in the future in the pursuit of our own national interests, if it intends to pursue our own national interests. In other words, he puts the interests of other nations ahead of our own. Pre-treaty, we were ALREADY following the treaty limitations in most affairs. Whenever we had to violate our own self-imposed standards in the name of our national interests, we were not in violation of international law. By committing us to this treaty, acting on any such future needs would place the U.S. in violation of international law.

I could go on, but at exactly what point does Obama stop thinking of himself as President of the World, and start thinking of himself as President of the United States?

#TINVOWOOT

mewalke
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mewalke »

TAM is right, this is actually a pretty significant threat because of the broad language and the fact that, once signed by the President (or designee), the treaty can be ratified at any point in the future once the Senate's make-up is more favorable.

This is exactly why the conservative government in Canada wants to hold off, they feel there are real concerns with signing on to the treaty when their legal system just determined that a federal gun registry was illegal in Canada.

If a future Senate were to ratify this, it would be one more tool for anti-gun folks to try and drastically cripple the Constitution and supplemental legislative protections. :mad5

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”