Open Carry

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Open Carry

#31

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
SA-TX wrote:All true but doesn't it raise a more important question: what's stopping an OC bill from becoming law next session? The likely gubernatorial nominees of BOTH parties support it (at least in theory by Davis's claim), the sitting Lt. Governor - and president of the Senate - supports it, as do those running for AG like Land Com. Patterson, and finally our sitting governor. Can it really still be that "controversial" now? Are we only lacking the support of the Speaker of the House? With the number of folks running for office who say they are pro-OC, you'd think it would be the first piece of legislation introduced and sail through both houses. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

That would be a good test for how they really feel about the Second Amendment. Democrats and Republicans alike.
In my view it's only a test of how they really feel about open-carry. There are many very strong Second Amendment supporters who are either ambivalent about open-carry or out right opposed for fear it may negatively impact other Second Amendment rights. The OC crowd's attempt to make a person's position on open-carry a litmus test for how they feel about the Second Amendment has succeeded only within their own community. It's like saying "If you don't like a .45 Schofield revolver, you don't really support the Second Amendment."

Chas.
Chas is right as usual.

At a dinner get together last night, the subject of OC came up and our host, who was our first CHL instructor as well as being retired State Police, announced that he was not for OC. Me, I'm okay with OC because I firmly believe that after the 'new wears off', it will be hard to spot a gun on a non-LEO hip. ITMT, concealed is concealed. :cool:

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 17101
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Open Carry

#32

Post by WildBill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
SA-TX wrote:All true but doesn't it raise a more important question: what's stopping an OC bill from becoming law next session? The likely gubernatorial nominees of BOTH parties support it (at least in theory by Davis's claim), the sitting Lt. Governor - and president of the Senate - supports it, as do those running for AG like Land Com. Patterson, and finally our sitting governor. Can it really still be that "controversial" now? Are we only lacking the support of the Speaker of the House? With the number of folks running for office who say they are pro-OC, you'd think it would be the first piece of legislation introduced and sail through both houses. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

That would be a good test for how they really feel about the Second Amendment. Democrats and Republicans alike.
In my view it's only a test of how they really feel about open-carry. There are many very strong Second Amendment supporters who are either ambivalent about open-carry or out right opposed for fear it may negatively impact other Second Amendment rights. The OC crowd's attempt to make a person's position on open-carry a litmus test for how they feel about the Second Amendment has succeeded only within their own community. It's like saying "If you don't like a .45 Schofield revolver, you don't really support the Second Amendment."

Chas.
Chas is right as usual.

At a dinner get together last night, the subject of OC came up and our host, who was our first CHL instructor as well as being retired State Police, announced that he was not for OC. Me, I'm okay with OC because I firmly believe that after the 'new wears off', it will be hard to spot a gun on a non-LEO hip. ITMT, concealed is concealed. :cool:
What did you have for dinner?
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

tbrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1685
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Re: Open Carry

#33

Post by tbrown » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Cutting through the rhetoric, it's an excellent test of how they feel about "shall not be infringed" versus "reasonable restrictions" when it comes to gun rights.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Open Carry

#34

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:39 pm

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
SA-TX wrote:All true but doesn't it raise a more important question: what's stopping an OC bill from becoming law next session? The likely gubernatorial nominees of BOTH parties support it (at least in theory by Davis's claim), the sitting Lt. Governor - and president of the Senate - supports it, as do those running for AG like Land Com. Patterson, and finally our sitting governor. Can it really still be that "controversial" now? Are we only lacking the support of the Speaker of the House? With the number of folks running for office who say they are pro-OC, you'd think it would be the first piece of legislation introduced and sail through both houses. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

That would be a good test for how they really feel about the Second Amendment. Democrats and Republicans alike.
In my view it's only a test of how they really feel about open-carry. There are many very strong Second Amendment supporters who are either ambivalent about open-carry or out right opposed for fear it may negatively impact other Second Amendment rights. The OC crowd's attempt to make a person's position on open-carry a litmus test for how they feel about the Second Amendment has succeeded only within their own community. It's like saying "If you don't like a .45 Schofield revolver, you don't really support the Second Amendment."

Chas.
Chas is right as usual.

At a dinner get together last night, the subject of OC came up and our host, who was our first CHL instructor as well as being retired State Police, announced that he was not for OC. Me, I'm okay with OC because I firmly believe that after the 'new wears off', it will be hard to spot a gun on a non-LEO hip. ITMT, concealed is concealed. :cool:
What did you have for dinner?
Brown whiskey followed by meat and taters, etc. and an excellent dessert. All in all, YUMMO!


SA-TX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Ellis County now; adios Dallas!

Re: Open Carry

#35

Post by SA-TX » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
SA-TX wrote:All true but doesn't it raise a more important question: what's stopping an OC bill from becoming law next session? The likely gubernatorial nominees of BOTH parties support it (at least in theory by Davis's claim), the sitting Lt. Governor - and president of the Senate - supports it, as do those running for AG like Land Com. Patterson, and finally our sitting governor. Can it really still be that "controversial" now? Are we only lacking the support of the Speaker of the House? With the number of folks running for office who say they are pro-OC, you'd think it would be the first piece of legislation introduced and sail through both houses. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

That would be a good test for how they really feel about the Second Amendment. Democrats and Republicans alike.
In my view it's only a test of how they really feel about open-carry. There are many very strong Second Amendment supporters who are either ambivalent about open-carry or out right opposed for fear it may negatively impact other Second Amendment rights. The OC crowd's attempt to make a person's position on open-carry a litmus test for how they feel about the Second Amendment has succeeded only within their own community. It's like saying "If you don't like a .45 Schofield revolver, you don't really support the Second Amendment."

Chas.
If I may return to the original observation - that the conditions to pass on OC bill seem to be quite favorable - and to the original question: what do we lack to succeed in the next Legislative session? Have all of the pronouncements of support changed the environment?

Thanks, SA-TX


SherwoodForest
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Open Carry

#36

Post by SherwoodForest » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:09 pm

The terminology "open carry" used to describe a holstered handgun that isn't hidden from view has stuck in my craw since the first time I heard it. I'm not kidding myself thinking we can shed the term entirely, but it's strikes me as being a bit of a "coming out of the closet" type of connotation.

That having been said, I could have done without Wendy Davis stirring up a lot of attention to the effort to relax the carry restriction in Texas. Her worthless "support" for OC - seeing as how she'll never be a Texas Governor - just doesn't pass the smell test. More likely a strategy to obstruct any future effort to relax the carry restriction by stirring up controversy during this campaign.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Open Carry

#37

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:11 pm

I am curious as well. Is there a realistic chance of an OC bill passing?

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Open Carry

#38

Post by Oldgringo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:35 pm

I would like to see Texas live up to her historical "Frontier/Cowboy" image and have OC. As I've said many times, 'OC ain't no big deal'. Even where it's legal, it ain't done....in town at any rate. WildBill, what was that song, "Don't take your gun to town son, leave...."? Once the 'new' of OC Freedom wears off, life will return to "normal" - whatever that is.

Once OC is passed, would I OC? Probably not, but I would be less concerned about 'printing' than I am now...and I ain't real concerned now.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Open Carry

#39

Post by jmra » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Oldgringo wrote:I would like to see Texas live up to her historical "Frontier/Cowboy" image and have OC. As I've said many times, 'OC ain't no big deal'. Even where it's legal, it ain't done....in town at any rate. WildBill, what was that song, "Don't take your gun to town son, leave...."? Once the 'new' of OC Freedom wears off, life will return to "normal" - whatever that is.

Once OC is passed, would I OC? Probably not, but I would be less concerned about 'printing' than I am now...and I ain't real concerned now.
I would much rather see a guy walking down the street with a pistol on his hip than an AR slung on his back.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

User avatar

pancho
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Open Carry

#40

Post by pancho » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:24 pm

I don't understand the attraction of open carry or a .45 Schofield revolver in modern life.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 17591
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#41

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 pm

SA-TX wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
SA-TX wrote:All true but doesn't it raise a more important question: what's stopping an OC bill from becoming law next session? The likely gubernatorial nominees of BOTH parties support it (at least in theory by Davis's claim), the sitting Lt. Governor - and president of the Senate - supports it, as do those running for AG like Land Com. Patterson, and finally our sitting governor. Can it really still be that "controversial" now? Are we only lacking the support of the Speaker of the House? With the number of folks running for office who say they are pro-OC, you'd think it would be the first piece of legislation introduced and sail through both houses. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

That would be a good test for how they really feel about the Second Amendment. Democrats and Republicans alike.
In my view it's only a test of how they really feel about open-carry. There are many very strong Second Amendment supporters who are either ambivalent about open-carry or out right opposed for fear it may negatively impact other Second Amendment rights. The OC crowd's attempt to make a person's position on open-carry a litmus test for how they feel about the Second Amendment has succeeded only within their own community. It's like saying "If you don't like a .45 Schofield revolver, you don't really support the Second Amendment."

Chas.
If I may return to the original observation - that the conditions to pass on OC bill seem to be quite favorable - and to the original question: what do we lack to succeed in the next Legislative session? Have all of the pronouncements of support changed the environment?

Thanks, SA-TX
The "original observation" was that Wendy Davis lied and said she supports open carry. There was no original question.

It's far too early to make any remotely accurate estimate of legislative support for open-carry. The people who have expressed support for open-carry can't even introduce a bill, much less get it passed. If Straus is Speaker and Pickett is Chairman of House Homeland Security & Public Safety, then the deck is still stacked against open-carry. Open-carry never got a vote because Straus and Pickett didn't want it to.

Chas.


Hamourkiller
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Re: Open Carry

#42

Post by Hamourkiller » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 am

In my opinion, the fear of open carry will go the way of the fear of concealed carry. It (concealed carry) was going to cause un-mitigated death and destruction. Blood would turn all of our rivers red! etc etc etc. Once concealed carry passed all the fear was shown to be vapors in the guts of liberals. Nothing changed as lawful citizens are lawful with or without a firearm. Same will be true if the firearm is concealed or on the hip.


SA-TX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Ellis County now; adios Dallas!

Re: Open Carry

#43

Post by SA-TX » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
SA-TX wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
SA-TX wrote:All true but doesn't it raise a more important question: what's stopping an OC bill from becoming law next session? The likely gubernatorial nominees of BOTH parties support it (at least in theory by Davis's claim), the sitting Lt. Governor - and president of the Senate - supports it, as do those running for AG like Land Com. Patterson, and finally our sitting governor. Can it really still be that "controversial" now? Are we only lacking the support of the Speaker of the House? With the number of folks running for office who say they are pro-OC, you'd think it would be the first piece of legislation introduced and sail through both houses. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

That would be a good test for how they really feel about the Second Amendment. Democrats and Republicans alike.
In my view it's only a test of how they really feel about open-carry. There are many very strong Second Amendment supporters who are either ambivalent about open-carry or out right opposed for fear it may negatively impact other Second Amendment rights. The OC crowd's attempt to make a person's position on open-carry a litmus test for how they feel about the Second Amendment has succeeded only within their own community. It's like saying "If you don't like a .45 Schofield revolver, you don't really support the Second Amendment."

Chas.
If I may return to the original observation - that the conditions to pass on OC bill seem to be quite favorable - and to the original question: what do we lack to succeed in the next Legislative session? Have all of the pronouncements of support changed the environment?

Thanks, SA-TX
The "original observation" was that Wendy Davis lied and said she supports open carry. There was no original question.

It's far too early to make any remotely accurate estimate of legislative support for open-carry. The people who have expressed support for open-carry can't even introduce a bill, much less get it passed. If Straus is Speaker and Pickett is Chairman of House Homeland Security & Public Safety, then the deck is still stacked against open-carry. Open-carry never got a vote because Straus and Pickett didn't want it to.

Chas.
Yes I should have said MY original observation and question. Thanks for the information about Straus and Pickett.


mamabearCali
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:14 pm
Location: Chesterfield, VA

Re: Open Carry

#44

Post by mamabearCali » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 am

Wendy Davis is a known liar...so I would put no confidence in anything she said.



On OC in general. In VA it is not a big deal most of the time. I OC occasionally (usually when I am camping or out in the country and may need it in a hurry). I imagine when we make our move to the country final in a year I will OC more often, as I will be dealing with more varmits (animal types) and will want to have more than 6 rounds on me. In the suburbs.....no one looks at what is on your waist. With all the various things people carry on their waist (cell phones) no one even notices.

I have seen people OCing in the suburbs. I go to OC dinners on occasion. No one cares or gives you a second look.

TX has better gun laws in general. Yall's castle doctrine is something to be jealous of.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

User avatar

johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Open Carry

#45

Post by johncanfield » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:27 am

We usually spend a good part of the summer in OC states (Colorado in particular) and I occasionally see somebody in rural settings with a non-concealed gun in a holster and it's not a big deal and nobody pays any attention. I've never seen anybody OC in an urban setting there though. If Texas ever did go OC, I think many would OC just because they could and then the newness and novelty would wear off.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”