ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Re: ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nightmare wrote:If that's directed to me, I leave judgment of innocence in God's hands. Man's got to know his limitations.

Regardless, I have no duty to protect a society that violates my rights, whether in matters great or small.
What?? To which post are you responding?

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

AndyC wrote:We lived in siege-conditions in South Africa for decades, and life just has to go on.

Weigh the risk, carry everywhere you can (and carry alternate weapons when you can't). Know your exits, note cover and concealment, protect your family first, protect yourself and others if you can, die like a Viking if you have to.

I'm liking this phrase.
I didn't live in SA but I did live in the bad parts of the LA basin for five years. Life goes on and you're much more likely to be mugged than for a terrorist attack in the US. Its incredibly statistically insignificant.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:I don't now about the Nigeria Mall, but most closed in (vs. open air) malls at least here have lots and lots of exits. In contrast to crazy shooter scenario, I'd proffer the best solution is absolutely not to find somewhere safe and sit tight, but instead get out of there through the nearest anchor store in the mall.
For a Mills-style (one level) mall the best escape would be out-the-back of whatever shop you might be in. But I don't know about places like Barton Creek Square with its multiple levels (and some internal shops). Are there other escape routes than thru the main hallways to "anchor stores"?

Flooding "anchor stores" to their exits sounds to me like a theater/church/don't-yell-fire-there scenario.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:I don't now about the Nigeria Mall, but most closed in (vs. open air) malls at least here have lots and lots of exits. In contrast to crazy shooter scenario, I'd proffer the best solution is absolutely not to find somewhere safe and sit tight, but instead get out of there through the nearest anchor store in the mall.
For a Mills-style (one level) mall the best escape would be out-the-back of whatever shop you might be in. But I don't know about places like Barton Creek Square with its multiple levels (and some internal shops). Are there other escape routes than thru the main hallways to "anchor stores"?

Flooding "anchor stores" to their exits sounds to me like a theater/church/don't-yell-fire-there scenario.
Have you noticed that you don't ever see products being delivered to stores via the main hallways in malls?

That's because there is a series of back hallways behind all the stores where these activities take place.

My instruction to my family for an active shooter situation in a mall is to run to the rear of whatever store they're in, go through the door labeled "employees only," go around, over, or through anyone who tries to stop them, and follow the exit signs into the service corridor and out of the building. .

The same plan works for most other stores and restaurants (where you go through the kitchen), except there is no service corridor.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Exterior stores will have fire exits out the back. Smaller stores on interior corridors may not have a rear exit. My daughter, then my wife used to work at a boutique that was near the food court, which would be a prime target area. If the door was blocked, they were trapped like rats. I wasn't a fan of the location, but it goes back to you can't always have everything just perfect. We had a plan, albeit not the greatest, but it was a plan if some group tried to take over the mall.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Excaliber wrote:Have you noticed that you don't ever see products being delivered to stores via the main hallways in malls?

That's because there is a series of back hallways behind all the stores where these activities take place.

My instruction to my family for an active shooter situation in a mall is to run to the rear of whatever store they're in, go through the door labeled "employees only," go around, over, or through anyone who tries to stop them, and follow the exit signs into the service corridor and out of the building. .

The same plan works for most other stores and restaurants (where you go through the kitchen), except there is no service corridor.
I think this is exactly right--if a terror group posts-up outside mall entrances they are most likely to do so at the major access points and not the emergency/service entries.

Further, if there ARE BGs posted at the service doors, the back storage areas of any small retail store are more likely IMO to serve as decent hiding places than anywhere else in the mall.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Excaliber wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:

Have you noticed that you don't ever see products being delivered to stores via the main hallways in malls?

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know malls were structured like this; probably because my vow never to enter one! :lol:

Chas.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

nightmare wrote:If that's directed to me, I leave judgment of innocence in God's hands. Man's got to know his limitations.

Regardless, I have no duty to protect a society that violates my rights, whether in matters great or small.
I thank god that most people do not think like you. Thousands of men died in WWII and other wars protecting the rights you do have. Even black men that were denied many rights whites had. If they had not you probably would not have the life you have now.

I would try to get my wife to safety and return to fight, knowing I would probably be killed. If I could hit one shooter in the chest or head with my 45 I will have saved lives. If I could get his gun I could save more.

I would hope that at least one other CHL would help, and yes, I would risk my life to save yours or your family.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

stroo

Post by stroo »

BTW if you regularly where any clothing reflecting the Army, Marines, Air Force or Navy or have any bumper stickers on your cars indicating that you are/were or have a family member in the armed forces, you may want to either stay very alert/aware of your surroundings or remove the bumper stickers and not wear the Armed Forces hats, shirts, jackets or whatever.

I have been told from very good sources that ISIS or Al Quaeda has be pushing it adherents in the US to make lone wolf attacks on families of service members.

fenster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fenster »

some interesting, surprisingly sound information on this topic, from an unexpected source.
lots of un-skippable ads, though.
http://www.spike.com/episodes/3w9eyj/su ... n-1-ep-107

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Regarding the issue of whether you return to fight... I think you have to be smart about this. There are going to be people running everywhere, most of them having no idea what is going on, except that there is an active shooter. How are people going to know that you are the good guy? How are you going to know the bad guy is not really a good guy? It may be clear in the movies, but I doubt it would be that clear in real life. Not saying you don't go back in, but I'd be very cautious about waving a gun around and even more cautious about target selection.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

stroo wrote:BTW if you regularly where any clothing reflecting the Army, Marines, Air Force or Navy or have any bumper stickers on your cars indicating that you are/were or have a family member in the armed forces, you may want to either stay very alert/aware of your surroundings or remove the bumper stickers and not wear the Armed Forces hats, shirts, jackets or whatever.

I have been told from very good sources that ISIS or Al Quaeda has be pushing it adherents in the US to make lone wolf attacks on families of service members.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/09/17 ... n-us-soil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014 ... ghter-Them" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

stroo

Post by stroo »

I hadn't seen those reports. But confirmation.

TomV

Post by TomV »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:Regarding the issue of whether you return to fight... I think you have to be smart about this. There are going to be people running everywhere, most of them having no idea what is going on, except that there is an active shooter. How are people going to know that you are the good guy? How are you going to know the bad guy is not really a good guy? It may be clear in the movies, but I doubt it would be that clear in real life. Not saying you don't go back in, but I'd be very cautious about waving a gun around and even more cautious about target selection.
Along these same lines, how do you let the good guys know you aren't a bad guy?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigity

Post by bigity »

Curse allah and/or muhammad?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”