Avoid Maryland

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Archery1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Avoid Maryland

Post by Archery1 »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 pm
Archery1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 pm Man, just found out today I have to drive to Pennsylvania in next day. Route appears to be through LA, MS, Al, TN, VI, MD, and then in PA. I see this post on front page but post was started in 2014 but quick search states MD has reciprocity with TX (?). Any quick advice on when to lock up gun and ammo separate? Then, I read NJ, where I don't have to go but is border to where going is no hollow-point. As much as I hate to, I'm thinking leave gun at home rather than chance what I don't have time to research. Any input, anyone?
If you are traveling on I-81, you will also be going through West Virginia. On that route, there are only 12 miles in Maryland. We have done the trip often. We have a diesel RV and diesel fuel North of Virginia has a lot more taxes so we stop North of Winchester and fill up. I take the time there to empty my EDC, take the ammo out of the mag and lock up the empty pistol.

We've been driving that route since 1988 and have yet to have any sort of a problem in MD. I adhere to all speed limits even though the vehicles around me are not. I'm always happy to cross into PA. BTW, our last trip had heavy construction in WVA.

I would not, repeat would NOT take I-95 if you decide to take your pistol. I'm not too worried about the MD State Police on I-81 but I used to work in periodically Gaithersburg and often drove there from Philly on I-95. The MD police were VERY active. On another note, radar detectors are illegal in VA and that State is very active on I-81 checking speed and the presence of detectors.
Thanks, my navigator was taking me up I-95, which I see the issue on time in MD. Moved the curser up to I-81 route and only added 1-hour to drive to Landenberg, PA, but cuts the MD drive substantially. Any other divert adds at least 3 hours. Should be OK I assume for that small part with 2 lockboxes?

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

Archery1 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 am
Archery1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 pm Man, just found out today I have to drive to Pennsylvania in next day. Route appears to be through LA, MS, Al, TN, VI, MD, and then in PA. I see this post on front page but post was started in 2014 but quick search states MD has reciprocity with TX (?). Any quick advice on when to lock up gun and ammo separate? Then, I read NJ, where I don't have to go but is border to where going is no hollow-point. As much as I hate to, I'm thinking leave gun at home rather than chance what I don't have time to research. Any input, anyone?
If you are traveling on I-81, you will also be going through West Virginia. On that route, there are only 12 miles in Maryland. We have done the trip often. We have a diesel RV and diesel fuel North of Virginia has a lot more taxes so we stop North of Winchester and fill up. I take the time there to empty my EDC, take the ammo out of the mag and lock up the empty pistol.

We've been driving that route since 1988 and have yet to have any sort of a problem in MD. I adhere to all speed limits even though the vehicles around me are not. I'm always happy to cross into PA. BTW, our last trip had heavy construction in WVA.

I would not, repeat would NOT take I-95 if you decide to take your pistol. I'm not too worried about the MD State Police on I-81 but I used to work in periodically Gaithersburg and often drove there from Philly on I-95. The MD police were VERY active. On another note, radar detectors are illegal in VA and that State is very active on I-81 checking speed and the presence of detectors.
Thanks, my navigator was taking me up I-95, which I see the issue on time in MD. Moved the curser up to I-81 route and only added 1-hour to drive to Landenberg, PA, but cuts the MD drive substantially. Any other divert adds at least 3 hours. Should be OK I assume for that small part with 2 lockboxes?
I recommend the I-81 route as well, less traffic and better scenery. Unfortunately, I was on my way to NJ, so I had nothing in the car to worry about.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

oohrah wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 am
Archery1 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 am

I recommend the I-81 route as well, less traffic and better scenery. Unfortunately, I was on my way to NJ, so I had nothing in the car to worry about.
I agree by viewing map. Takes me to western end of MD and skips going through the ciry of Balitmore. Has to be much more peaceful drive! I already had talked the wife out of taking the whole trip up through more coastal areas, and more countryside will be a better alternative.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

philip964 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:15 am https://www.wbaltv.com/article/two-teen ... d/29535342#

Two teenage brothers attacked and beat a 58 yo man to death at a crowded Maryland Fair after the man refused to give them a dollar. Both charged with assault and one with manslaughter, as they didn't mean to kill him. Charged as juveniles. Not a hate crime.

Bystanders took to the poor man's aid by whipping out their cell phones and recording the murder.

And yeah, guns are heavily restricted.

16 year old who threw the fatal punch sentenced to 1 year of anger management.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/08/ ... probation/

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

We just drove I-81 in Maryland on Monday. There are construction zones in West Virginia that extend into Maryland but there were no issues otherwise. We didn't see any sign of LE. Having read Kurt Schlicter's books, we refer to the area as "The People's Republic" and are glad to be out of it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”