CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

n5wd
Posts in topic: 6

Re: CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

Post by n5wd »

ScooterSissy wrote:
n5wd wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Free speech :patriot: :txflag:

Garland PD :hurry: :hurry:
The "security officer" was an unarmed security officer. Hit in leg, discharged from hospital in less than four hours. Everyone's hopeful for a speedy recovery!

"Free speech"? Yes, but like yelling " Fire" in a crowded theatre, it shoulda been obvious that some sort of negative reaction was going to happen. SWAT was already on scene due to that possibility.

There were apparently no Muslim demonstrators there at the Center - wonder if someone knew something was afoot?
Sorry, I disagree with the "fire in a crowded theatre" analogy. It is not. The problem with yelling fire in a crowded theater (assuming there is not fire) is that you are causing an alarm over a situation that does not exist, and such a false call is designed to instill panic.

In this case, they were indeed making a political statement, and I agree it was a controversial statement. However, it is their statement to make; and it was done in direct response to the previous actions taken at the same location.
SS:

Sorry - I didn't mean to equate the two except to say that both would cause a reaction. You're absolutely correct that it was a political statement, and I didn't intend to imply it wasn't.
Last edited by n5wd on Mon May 04, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Pawpaw wrote:
TresHuevos wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:So, who and what were the deceased gunmen? Before anyone else says it, I know 'dead men don't talk'. Even so, they were something from somewhere.

BTW, good job, Garland PD! :patriot:
Apparently, they both lived in Phoenix. There is supposed to be a news conference at 10:00 this morning, so we may learn more then.
I know it said that they were from Phoenix but if the picture captions were correct it looks like the Nissan truck they were driving had Texas plates. That would imply some local support.
Not if it was rented or stolen.
They arrived in the black or very dark blue sedan that was parked across one of the parking lot entrances, and in subsequent images, is the one that has been forcefully disassembled by the crime scene investigators. Never did see what plates IT had, primarily because the rear end was demolished.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 12

Post by RoyGBiv »

TVGuy wrote:I would also argue that stopping an event from being held just because it might anger some people is a direct assault of our very Constitution and a very slippery slope of state censorship. Once that starts, you're not far from NK, China, Etc.
:iagree:

I heard Trump on Fox this morning (I was too far from the controller to change the station) talk about how dumb it was to provoke (paraphrasing) Muslims by holding that event. I didn't like Trump before, but now I like him even less than I like Christie. :lol:

Bottom line..... Nobody in this country should live in fear of their speech being sufficient justification for murder. Ever.
Did anyone listen to the event organizer, Pam Geller, on the news last night and this morning? Her NY accent was like nails on a blackboard, but her words were spot on.

Do I have any interest in attending here event? No. None.
Would I stand with her to protect her right to have that event? You bet.

ETA: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

AndyC wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote: Bottom line..... Nobody in this country should live in fear of their speech being sufficient justification for murder. Ever.
:iagree:
:iagree: as well. As far as provoking the muslim cultists, their barbaric, savage murder of men, women and children who don't subscribe to their cult, provokes me.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

BRAVO ZULU to the Garland PD!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

RoyGBiv posted:

"I heard Trump on Fox this morning (I was too far from the controller to change the station) talk about how dumb it was to provoke (paraphrasing) Muslims by holding that event."

Certainly, we should all figuratively walk on eggshells if it means we might anger radical Muslims with our insistence on free speech. Who do we think we are? Free Americans?

Then, we should promptly drop down into a fetal position and start sucking our thumbs and repeat: I'm so sorry - I'm so sorry - I'm so sorry if we get within a camel's breath of radical Muslim offense.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Oldgringo wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:So, who and what were the deceased gunmen? Before anyone else says it, I know 'dead men don't talk'. Even so, they were something from somewhere.

BTW, good job, Garland PD! :patriot:
One was identified as Elton Simpson of Phoenix, Arizona. The other has yet to be publicly identified. Simpson was already on the FBI's watch list.
Hmmm? That sounds like an Anglo-American name. I wonder if he had been turned?
The photograph of him appears to be that of an African-American.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

talltex wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote: In this case, they were indeed making a political statement, and I agree it was a controversial statement. However, it is their statement to make; and it was done in direct response to the previous actions taken at the same location.
I understand that they had previously allowed the center to be used for a "muslim" assembly of some kind. In spite of that, I believe it is foolish to allow the use of a public facility for an event that they KNOW is likely to elicit a negative response, and possibly a violent one, which it did. I also don't think it should ever have been approved for ANY "religious" meeting in the first place. There are plenty of private facilities that any type of religious group can use to hold an assembly. If anyone wants to hold a Muslim, Hindu, Christian or whatever assembly let them go to a Mosque, Temple, or Church and do so to their hearts content, but the government owned facilities should not be used...maintain the separation between church and state. The city of Garland was obviously anticipating problems given the uniformed and SWAT officers posted on the scene...thankfully. It's a case of "if you allow one group access, then you have no grounds to deny any other group the same access". The city council needs to look at setting a policy to avoid the issue.
This was not a religious function. It was purely a political function.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Can't believe it is the 3rd page and I am the first one to say, "Don't mess with Texas!" :txflag:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

n5wd wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Free speech :patriot: :txflag:

Garland PD :hurry: :hurry:
The "security officer" was an unarmed security officer. Hit in leg, discharged from hospital in less than four hours. Everyone's hopeful for a speedy recovery!

"Free speech"? Yes, but like yelling " Fire" in a crowded theatre, it shoulda been obvious that some sort of negative reaction was going to happen. SWAT was already on scene due to that possibility.

There were apparently no Muslim demonstrators there at the Center - wonder if someone knew something was afoot?
Not only that, but I just saw an Garland PD presser about an hour ago, and the officer said that they were going to rethink allowing these kinds of events in the future.

I agree that there was the potential for trouble in this, but the trouble makers were on the outside, not the inside. And I note that when there was a big Muslim rally a few months ago in Dallas, they wouldn't even allow the media in. Just as the Anglican church in Africa considers a "godless" United States to be a mission field, so does Islam in the rest of the world. The difference is that the Anglicans want neither to convert through violence, nor to suppress free speech, nor to institute a set of laws which curtail human rights and justify execution and maiming for all kinds of crimes against their religious standards.

I have absolutely no problem with Muslims who desire to live here among us and enjoy the benefits of liberty and a free society alongside the rest of us. George W Bush's doctrine was to fight islamic extremism overseas, and that worked after a fashion........we killed a lot of them......but we also probably drove some further into extremist arms in the process. In the end, I honestly think we are going to have to fight and kill them here at home. We have a government that treats border security like it is a joke, using people who invade us illegally as pawns in a larger process to subvert the Constitution. Under the guise of free speech, we allow feloniously-minded Imams to preach a version of Islam that foments violence and hatred. Between terrorists who sneak across the borders, and terrorists home-grown, we are kidding ourselves if we think we're not going to see more and more of this.

The problems are twofold:

One is that our justice system is not really setup to deal with terrorists. Sure, we SAY it is a crime, but what do we DO about it? HOW LONG did it take for the Pentagon to finally agree that the Fort Hood shooting was an act of terror and not "workplace violence", and that (ex)Major Nidal Hasan was a terrorist, and not a "disgruntled employee"? How can we take a government's word seriously that it intends to protect our rights, when it allows one religious variant to preach murder, while it punishes another for preaching the value of life? The reason we have this situation is that we have a government that cowers in abject fear of calling a spade a spade, and appearing to be "insensitive" to the "needs" of bullies.

The other problem is that, because police are hamstrung by the law, and government is unwilling to do its dang job, the protection of individual citizens from terrorists is going to devolve into the hands of those citizens who own firearms and are inclined to keep them handy. When this happens, what are they going to be charged with? Racism and murder? Or will they be recognized for public service?

And a greatest tragedy out of all of this is that there are a LOT of muslim people in the U.S. who are here for exactly the reasons I stated in my 3rd paragraph. Exactly as some early Christian colonists first arrived on our shores to escape a religious persecution from other Christians in Europe, we have a significant population of Muslims who fled sectarian violence between Muslims in other countries like Lebanon (our member here, Beiruty comes to mind), Iraq, Iran, etc. So long as they absolutely respect the Constitution in ALL of its particulars - which means learning to live in peace alongside Christians, Jews, Atheists, or other religious people; as well as respecting and obeying secular laws, so long as they are Constitutional. These Muslims are going to pay the price in suspicion and public ill-will because of the general fear that regular people will come to have for anything Islam as a result of radicalized Islamic violence. They will have no more understanding of the difference between a peaceful Sufi and a terrorist Wahhabi, than they might have of the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist. And yet, many of these peaceful people are good citizens, they enlist and serve in our military, they are doctors and lawyers, and contributing members of society, and the blowback is going to hurt them unfairly.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

VMI77
Posts in topic: 9

Post by VMI77 »

Abraham wrote:RoyGBiv posted:

"I heard Trump on Fox this morning (I was too far from the controller to change the station) talk about how dumb it was to provoke (paraphrasing) Muslims by holding that event."

Certainly, we should all figuratively walk on eggshells if it means we might anger radical Muslims with our insistence on free speech. Who do we think we are? Free Americans?

Then, we should promptly drop down into a fetal position and start sucking our thumbs and repeat: I'm so sorry - I'm so sorry - I'm so sorry if we get within a camel's breath of radical Muslim offense.
You should read the Commiefornia appeaser comments on the LA Times website. Disgusting. If we just ignore reality and keep quiet and out of sight and don't provoke the bad people maybe they'll leave us alone and maybe we can keep living in our pretend TV sitcom worlds and nasty mean old reality won't bother us. "rlol" Geez, read the comments on the Daily Mail site --even the Brits aren't that deluded. I no longer believe immigration is even an issue in California. The problem is California is Californian's. An immigrant take over could do nothing but improve the place and put a little bit of spine back in the population.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

HB308.

Thankfully these terrorists didn't get past COPs last night, but if they had, this school premises is statutorily off limits for CHL. WHY?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”