SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 20

SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

Post by J.R.@A&M »

So far all they have done is announce the formation of the committee: http://www.thebatt.com/news/a-loaded-qu ... e8030.html

The time frame for soliciting input appears to be approaching. The various administrative statements seem ok (especially President Young's with reference to Univ. of Utah).

Shane Hinckley, assistant vice president of business development, said the role of the university in implementing Campus Carry is “not to write laws or change the laws.” Hinckley said the committee “will comply with [Campus Carry] like all the laws of the state.”

President Young said students will be given the opportunity to voice opinions on the matter through electronic media. He expects the university will seek that input around the middle of the fall semester.

Citing a similar situation at the University of Utah where he used to be president, Young said, “We went through an almost identical scenario... It’s been 11 years now and we haven’t had a single incident.”
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

Post by RetNavy »

"Amol Shalia, president of Aggie Democrats, said although he was disappointed that Campus Carry passed, the organization will publicly advocate for reasonable rules and regulations regarding the new law."

sounds like they have some reasonable students there, unlike UT Austin.... will probably make me proud to say I'm a Aggie

:mrgreen:
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Another reference to an online survey that should be appearing soon.

http://www.thebatt.com/news/campus-carr ... 01666.html

TVegas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TVegas »

A firearms attorney and Aggie in communication with the administration told me that the school plans on renting gunsafes to CHL holders who live in dorms. Students will be able to order their gunsafes at the same time they order their mini-fridges. :lol:

I'm sad that I graduated before I had the opportunity to take advantage of campus carry, but I'm proud to see that my alma mater has responded in very reasonable ways so far.
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

TVegas wrote:A firearms attorney and Aggie in communication with the administration told me that the school plans on renting gunsafes to CHL holders who live in dorms. Students will be able to order their gunsafes at the same time they order their mini-fridges. :lol:

I'm sad that I graduated before I had the opportunity to take advantage of campus carry, but I'm proud to see that my alma mater has responded in very reasonable ways so far.

I myself would not mind buying my own safe and installing it it the room..... even pay the maintenance/repair fee if wall mounted when removed...

its not a bad idea, but how secure would they be.... could there a common back up key to access them.... kind like the Navy's CIWS firing key.... one key fits all systems... one of the safes i have has a plastic key to unlock it with incase the batteries die.... even car keys are not unique.... guy i worked with on one of my ships his Trans Am key would unlock my Nova's door lock.

like you I graduated before this... but if i was still there and lived in a dorm I would want my weapon to be as secured as possible if I have to leave it in the room while I'm in a class

2007 Alumni
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

TVegas wrote:A firearms attorney and Aggie in communication with the administration told me that the school plans on renting gunsafes to CHL holders who live in dorms. Students will be able to order their gunsafes at the same time they order their mini-fridges. :lol:

How many students would that really affect? First, most students who live in the dorms are not old enough to qualify for a CHL... and second, those who are old enough typically do not live in the dorms. :headscratch

TVegas

Post by TVegas »

RetNavy wrote:

I myself would not mind buying my own safe and installing it it the room..... even pay the maintenance/repair fee if wall mounted when removed...

its not a bad idea, but how secure would they be.... could there a common back up key to access them.... kind like the Navy's CIWS firing key.... one key fits all systems... one of the safes i have has a plastic key to unlock it with incase the batteries die.... even car keys are not unique.... guy i worked with on one of my ships his Trans Am key would unlock my Nova's door lock.

like you I graduated before this... but if i was still there and lived in a dorm I would want my weapon to be as secured as possible if I have to leave it in the room while I'm in a class

2007 Alumni
I definitely agree with you. I would think A&M is smart enough to know not to use safes that could be accessed like that, but who knows.

Class of 2015 :thumbs2:
cyphertext wrote: How many students would that really affect? First, most students who live in the dorms are not old enough to qualify for a CHL... and second, those who are old enough typically do not live in the dorms. :headscratch
I understand that there's a distinct possibility that zero students may actually need to use the service, but the fact that the school is taking that type of action is impressive. (rather than trying to push there luck posting 30.06s on all the dorms and in the dorm paperwork, like a school a couple of hours west of A&M is probably going to do)

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Message today from President Young's office:

OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT ––––––––––––––––
MICHAEL K. YOUNG
PRESIDENT
October 15, 2015

To: Texas A&M Students, Faculty and Staff:

This spring, the 84th Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 11 (SB 11), which expands the areas on public university campuses where those with licenses may carry concealed handguns.

Licensees have been allowed to carry concealed handguns on public university campuses in certain spaces (mostly exterior grounds) since 1995. SB 11 expands this to other areas (including building interiors) except those where concealed carry is prohibited by state or federal law, or by new university policies or rules associated with this change. SB 11 will take effect Aug. 1, 2016.

The Legislature has given universities discretion to implement the law based on each unique campus culture, with a focus on safety and a careful consideration of input from the broad campus community.

To that end, I have established a 21-member task force with representatives from across campus to provide me with recommendations for implementing SB 11 at Texas A&M. I have charged the task force with making recommendations based on their considerable expertise, along with input from students, faculty and staff. More information on SB 11 and the task force can be found at http://www.tamu.edu/statements/campus-carry.html.

We seek an outcome that will uphold the integrity of the law, ensure the safety and security of everyone on campus and foster a climate of mutual respect to create the most supportive learning environment possible. We invite your views on this important matter, and, to that end, the task force will shortly send out a brief survey. We will be happy to receive your feedback.

Thank you for all that you do to make Texas A&M a truly great university and for helping us implement SB 11 in a uniquely Aggie way.

Michael K. Young, President

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The link in the above message to students, faculty, and staff takes you to the committee charge. At the bottom of that is a lengthy FAQ about campus carry. It looks to me like they are going to great lengths to de-fuse opposition.

I especially like these two:

15. Can I personally make a rule that someone who has a license to carry a handgun cannot carry it into my office, classroom, or laboratory?

No. Effective August 1, 2016, concealed carry is allowed on university campuses, including all offices, classrooms, and laboratories by anyone holding a valid handgun license, unless carrying a handgun is prohibited by state law, federal law, or university rules. SB 273 prohibits the university and its employees from imposing restrictions greater than those imposed by law. Violations of SB 273 can result in a fine to the university as high as $10,500 per day.

21. Is a handgun license holder required to respond if someone other than a peace officer or magistrate asks them if they have a handgun license?

No. A handgun license holder is not required to disclose he has a license to anyone except a magistrate or peace officer. A person engaged in lawful activity (i.e., applying for and obtaining a handgun license) is not required to provide information to any person, including a university official, about their personal choices, beliefs, or practices.

So much for whiny t.u. faculty saying they are going to exclude CHLs from their classes.

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Students, staff and faculty at A&M today received the expected email solicitation of input regarding campus carry. This came in an email containing a link to an on-line survey. There appears to be a separate link/survey for the different groups (students, faculty, and staff), and they are using the unique university ID number to authenticate the response. (This takes care of the Duval County problem, but it also means that your responses are not really anonymous, although they say that it will be treated as such.) At the moment, there does not appear to be a place so far for folks outside the University to voice their opinion. Here is how the faculty email reads:

October 27, 2015
To Texas A&M University Faculty:
This spring, the 84th Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 11 (SB 11), which expands the areas on public university campuses where those with licenses may carry concealed handguns. If you are not familiar with the new concealed carry law or the changes that will take effect on Aug. 1, 2016, please review the additional information available here: http://www.tamu.edu/statements/campus-carry.html.

The Legislature has given universities discretion to implement the law based on each unique campus culture, with a focus on safety and a careful consideration of input from the broad campus community. To that end, the Campus Carry Task Force asks you to participate in the Campus Carry Survey.

The survey is designed to gather your input on campus environment, safety concerns, student population, specific premises, and events/activities that should be considered in determining recommendations to establish rules regarding the carry of concealed handguns by license holders on the Texas A&M campus. It is important to note that the law specifically prohibits university presidents from establishing provisions that generally prohibit or have the effect of generally prohibiting license holders from carrying concealed handguns on campus.
While voluntary, your participation in the survey below is critical to determining recommendations on how best to implement Campus Carry on the Texas A&M campus. You will be asked to provide your UIN upon logging into the survey solely for the purpose of authenticating you as faculty of Texas A&M University. Your responses will remain anonymous and no comments will be attributed to any individual unless you provide identifying information in your responses.

You need not complete the survey in one session. You may save the survey and return at any time to finish it. The deadline for completing the survey and submitting your input is 11:59 PM, November 9, 2015.

We greatly value your input and participation.

Sincerely,
Campus Carry Task Force

TVegas

Post by TVegas »

While it would be nice (maybe even appropriate) for the general public to voice their opinion, I think limiting the responses to students, faculty, and staff will give a more accurate representation of opinions from people who the decision would actually impact. If a survey link was open to the public and posted on anti-gun and pro-gun websites, the survey would be flooded with opinions at both ends of the spectrum, and most respondents would never step foot on the A&M campus.

As a former student, I would like to have gotten a link though! :lol:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

I'm curious about the selection process and qualifications of the folks selected to be on the committee. Most of the time it seems these committees are made up of like minded people with views similar to the one organizing the issue.

Just like school bond issues, the committee is usually not a bunch of people with different views on the subject. It's usually comprised of like minded people assembled to help sell the issue to the public. In my opinion, people asking for opinions and feedback seldom want it if it is a dissenting opinion.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

TVegas wrote:While it would be nice (maybe even appropriate) for the general public to voice their opinion, I think limiting the responses to students, faculty, and staff will give a more accurate representation of opinions from people who the decision would actually impact....
Limiting the survey to students/faculty/staff would be useful in depicting the opinion of the campus population (and I think the law says the admin has to consult with those groups), but as far as decisions and impacts, no, they should not be all on their own. Public universities and colleges seem to love to promote the idea that they are little sovereign islands of authority, not subject (but amply funded by!) to legislators, the public, parents, the US Constitution (especially with respect to the 1A, 2A, and due process), nor the judicial process for politically charged crimes (see "rape culture" and the DOE's "Dear Colleague" letter). It is long since time to disabuse them of this notion.

Perhaps this little survey is not the place to start with that, but I hate to see them encouraged in this mindset in any way. One of the most useful effects of SB11 is as an instrument to help them realize the can't continue to suck billions of dollars from the tax payers in the state while denying them any say in how it is spent.

I believe that is the emotional basis for much of the angst of the anti-campus carry dolts on campus. Even more than their professed horror of 2A/guns/fully functional adults is their outrage that the people who pay for their buildings and tuitions and salaries have the audacity to think they have any say on campus about anything.
USAF 1982-2005

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

mojo84 wrote:I'm curious about the selection process and qualifications of the folks selected to be on the committee. Most of the time it seems these committees are made up of like minded people with views similar to the one organizing the issue.

Just like school bond issues, the committee is usually not a bunch of people with different views on the subject. It's usually comprised of like minded people assembled to help sell the issue to the public. In my opinion, people asking for opinions and feedback seldom want it if it is a dissenting opinion.
I have no problem with that.....as long as they think the same as I do. "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

txglock21 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I'm curious about the selection process and qualifications of the folks selected to be on the committee. Most of the time it seems these committees are made up of like minded people with views similar to the one organizing the issue.

I have no problem with that.....as long as they think the same as I do. "rlol"
Exactly!!
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”