Texas State University's Biased Newspaper

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Texas State University's Biased Newspaper

Post by jb2012 »

I am a new guy here so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it. That being said, I am a student at Texas State and after about the umpteenth anti 2a article written by them, I decided I had enough. I wrote a 5 page (single spaced mind you) response filled with credible sources discrediting everything in the article bashing the 2nd amendment. I think that everyone has the right to free speech and I am not trying to take that away. What I am upset about is how they take advantage of the "soft clay" opinions of some young college kids by feeding them false information. A news source can write whatever they want, but how can we really hold them accountable for spreading false information? I sent my response into almost everyone at the University star and basically got an automated response.

Here is the article: http://star.txstate.edu/2015/10/08/amer ... n-problem/

Be forewarned that your blood pressure will spike after reading this!!! :mad5 :mad5

If anyone is interested in reading my response I would gladly share, it has some great facts in it supporting gun rights!

Topic author
jb2012

Re: Texas State University's Biased Newspaper

Post by jb2012 »

I would also like to add that although we are very close to Austin, and we do have a high number of left wingers, there is also a large conservative following here at Texas State, and this newspaper does not reflect us as a whole.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nitrogen »

You know, part of me waits for the day where i'll hear a well thought out, valid, anti-gun talking point that makes me think, and actually engage with someone.

Usually its just pointing out inaccuracies and bad data.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Michael Scofield

Post by Michael Scofield »

I'm almost to the point where I think arguing with these anti gunners is a waste of my time. Their arguments are never logical and always seem to come from a place of fear. I know it sounds bad but I often wonder about how many of them have stared down the barrel of a bad guys gun and suddenly realized that the only person who you can count on to able to defend yourself is yourself and maybe they should have bought a gun.
“For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Michael Scofield wrote:I'm almost to the point where I think arguing with these anti gunners is a waste of my time. Their arguments are never logical and always seem to come from a place of fear. I know it sounds bad but I often wonder about how many of them have stared down the barrel of a bad guys gun and suddenly realized that the only person who you can count on to able to defend yourself is yourself and maybe they should have bought a gun.
Spot-on!

allisji

Post by allisji »

Thanks for sharing. This is fairly typical of a Public School Campus Newspaper. You really should approach the university paper about allowing you to publish a "letter to the editor".

What is your major? It's good to see a fresh 21 year old college student getting the CHL and thinking rationally and responsibly about self-defense.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Fear drives mobs. Civilized people should make public policy decisions based on hard data and reasoning rather than emotion.

Most emotion-laden policy decisions end up resulting in new laws, agencies or regulations that stifle liberty, free enterprise and ingenuity while growing government power and debt. These decisions never result in the right answer for a free people.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

jb2012 wrote:I am a new guy here so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it. That being said, I am a student at Texas State and after about the umpteenth anti 2a article written by them, I decided I had enough. I wrote a 5 page (single spaced mind you) response filled with credible sources discrediting everything in the article bashing the 2nd amendment. I think that everyone has the right to free speech and I am not trying to take that away. What I am upset about is how they take advantage of the "soft clay" opinions of some young college kids by feeding them false information. A news source can write whatever they want, but how can we really hold them accountable for spreading false information? I sent my response into almost everyone at the University star and basically got an automated response.

Be forewarned that your blood pressure will spike after reading this!!! :mad5 :mad5

If anyone is interested in reading my response I would gladly share, it has some great facts in it supporting gun rights!
Could you get some like minded people together and start an underground newspaper?

Give the students a source for the truth and a dissenting opinion for a change.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

VoiceofReason wrote:
jb2012 wrote:I am a new guy here so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it. That being said, I am a student at Texas State and after about the umpteenth anti 2a article written by them, I decided I had enough. I wrote a 5 page (single spaced mind you) response filled with credible sources discrediting everything in the article bashing the 2nd amendment. I think that everyone has the right to free speech and I am not trying to take that away. What I am upset about is how they take advantage of the "soft clay" opinions of some young college kids by feeding them false information. A news source can write whatever they want, but how can we really hold them accountable for spreading false information? I sent my response into almost everyone at the University star and basically got an automated response.

Could you get some like minded people together and start an underground newspaper?

Give the students a source for the truth and a dissenting opinion for a change.
I like!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

allisji wrote:Thanks for sharing. This is fairly typical of a Public School Campus Newspaper. You really should approach the university paper about allowing you to publish a "letter to the editor".

What is your major? It's good to see a fresh 21 year old college student getting the CHL and thinking rationally and responsibly about self-defense.
Haha thanks! I'm an Animal Science Major and a Ranch and Natural Resources Management minor.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! and I'll see about getting a letter to the editor!

I was aware of those two and they are pretty darn good. There was a pretty good study done by Duke University also that has some great evidence to back up their research

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”