New Executive Orders on Gun Control fact sheet

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 2

New Executive Orders on Gun Control fact sheet

Post by Syntyr »

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... d-make-our

Bye Bye obtaining NFA items via trust - Even though since 1934 there have been a total of 2 homicides with legally owned NFA weapons. One of them was a police officer.

Need help with your social security income - No 2A rights for you

On SSI Disability - No 2A rights for you

Sell two guns in their original packaging - 5 years in the pokey and 250k fine
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
Syntyr

Re: New Executive Orders on Gun Control fact sheet

Post by Syntyr »

Sell a personally owned firearm and take payment via credit card? In the pokey you go!

Sell a personally owned firearm "too soon" after you bought it? Pokey!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

This won't cost them my vote.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Syntyr wrote:https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... d-make-our

Bye Bye obtaining NFA items via trust - Even though since 1934 there have been a total of 2 homicides with legally owned NFA weapons. One of them was a police officer.

Need help with your social security income - No 2A rights for you

Sell two guns in their original packaging - 5 years in the pokey and 250k fine
I have a 1967 Browning in its original box. Plus all other newly purchased firearms are in their original package. Now I am criminal, NOT!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

dallas_Al

Post by dallas_Al »

This doesn't pass constitutional muster. Using the words "Criminally punishable" indicates that this is now a "law". Executive branch is incapable of creating a law. I think Greg Abbott will have something to say about it. Watch for Paxton to file some sort of suit this week over it. It's just a lot of hot air and he knows it. :fire

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

I believe this is all a scam for Obama to get more money under the table. "The current background check system dates back to the 1990s and needs to be replaced." Really?!! After all these years not one dime has been spent to update these Federal computer systems? Right. So now he needs millions to help with the safety and reduce crime? He knows this won't fly. I'm not buying it.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Syntyr wrote:Need help with your social security income - No 2A rights for you

Include information from the Social Security Administration in the background check system about beneficiaries who are prohibited from possessing a firearm. Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent. The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health.

Documented mental health issues, receives disability, and are unable to manage those benefits because their mental impairment. It is not those receiving disability. It is those receiving disability for mental health reasons AND are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental health. Question? Is it those receiving disability for mental health OR those receiving benefits for mental health AND are not capable of taking care of their on finances?

I thought those found by a State or Federal Court for being legally incompetent was already out according to the the 4473 question.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Update the NICS system. Because, you know, healthcare.gov was such a rousing success.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

carlson1 wrote:

Include information from the Social Security Administration in the background check system about beneficiaries who are prohibited from possessing a firearm. Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent. The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health.

Documented mental health issues, receives disability, and are unable to manage those benefits because their mental impairment. It is not those receiving disability. It is those receiving disability for mental health reasons AND are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental health. Question? Is it those receiving disability for mental health OR those receiving benefits for mental health AND are not capable of taking care of their on finances?

I thought those found by a State or Federal Court for being legally incompetent was already out according to the the 4473 question.
you beat me to it, the persons receiving disability benefits are not crazy so they need to define as you have above.
the va will be next and they have defied all tries so far. but they will cave and release mental health interviews or case files.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

dallas_Al wrote:I think Greg Abbott will have something to say about it.
Welcome to the forum.

He has already responded.
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/01/ ... come-take/

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

I have never been so proud to be from TX.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

But if you like your guns you can keep your guns.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

carlson1 wrote:

I work in this area. I can represent someone to manage my Soc Sec and become my representative payee. That is not a mental health issue. That is merely a Power of Attorney action. But, they don't even recognize that, and will require one to become authorized under a more formal method.

If someone takes over management of your Soc Sec under a mental health issue, you will not get past Soc Sec in securing a representative payee designation without Letters of Guardianship issued by a Court or Probate Court. IOW, the person will have been deemed by Court proceedings to be mentally incompetent to manage their finances and the person asking to be representative payee will have been appointed. This is not a simple process to obtain, as it requires a mini-trial, court appointed representation for person, and sworn medical testimony.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

Clarify - are NFAs suddenly going to become unavailable or are the people forming an NFA going to be subject to a background check?

" The National Firearms Act imposes restrictions on sales of some of the most dangerous weapons, such as machine guns and sawed-off shotguns. But because of outdated regulations, individuals have been able to avoid the background check requirement by applying to acquire these firearms and other items through trusts, corporations, and other legal entities. In fact, the number of these applications has increased significantly over the years—from fewer than 900 applications in the year 2000 to more than 90,000 applications in 2014. ATF is finalizing a rule that makes clear that people will no longer be able to avoid background checks by buying NFA guns and other items through a trust or corporation."

All of the guys I know who are doing NFAs are doing it for silencers. It's just another form of taxation - I don't know that they're a real treat to society - generally if you can afford what turns out to be a $900 10/22, you're probably not part of the "threat" demographic.

Certainly most of us would agree that our system of prohibiting gun purchases by those who are mentally ill is ineffective. It's essentially self-regulation. Asking people who are mentally ill or are not capable of managing their own affairs to disclose on a form is well.... ludicrous... How you fix it without swinging the other way is the question...

I don't see anything about being SS disabled and not being allowed to own a firearm.. Lets not go completely overboard, unless that specific language is in there.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/223114/
The new EOs change nothing in that regard. But we do have some guidance from the Attorney General that indicates the Administration may indeed try to prosecute marginal cases it previously would not have. . . . So this is not to be part of any rule change, but merely a policy decision to prosecute ‘gun dealers, hobbyists and collectors,’ under the ‘new guidance.’ Rather than change the rule, they will use the current vague rule to send ‘hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.’
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”