This is why I will not own any Apple products!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Re: This is why I will not own any Apple products!

Post by anygunanywhere »

rentz wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Apple has unlocked phones 70 times before says the feds.

Apple does not dispute the figures.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... efore.html
But what model and version of os? Older versions did not have the same security settings on by default . A phone with an older os may very likely be quite easy to get into

The article has a quote that Apple can unlock it and won't, which if true is where I disagree with them since they have a federal court order and the govt followed all required legal requirements ...but it still seems to be a lot of hearsay from both sides
What difference does which version of operating system does it make? They caved 70 times.

Flexible ethics. The hallmark of progressivism.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

rentz
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rentz »

anygunanywhere wrote:
rentz wrote:

But what model and version of os? Older versions did not have the same security settings on by default . A phone with an older os may very likely be quite easy to get into

The article has a quote that Apple can unlock it and won't, which if true is where I disagree with them since they have a federal court order and the govt followed all required legal requirements ...but it still seems to be a lot of hearsay from both sides
What difference does which version of operating system does it make? They caved 70 times.

huge difference, the old operating system they have said could be gotten into...the new one added default security settings which they say they cannot.
plus the issue isnt that they will or wont get into this phone its that they wont write backdoor into their code for law enforcement.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Sheeesh, if the govt can't figure it out...then HIRE someone from Apple (or elsewhere) that can.

They should not be allowed to FORCE a company to do something they don't want to do. And just who is the Judge that ordered this? Where was the 'due process'?

Apple is correct on this one, for a variety of reasons.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

rentz wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
rentz wrote:

huge difference, the old operating system they have said could be gotten into...the new one added default security settings which they say they cannot.
plus the issue isnt that they will or wont get into this phone its that they wont write backdoor into their code for law enforcement.
Huge difference?

Don't think so. Flexible ethics.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Smokey
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Smokey »

How is the government able to compel somebody to do labor? This thing does not exist yet and would take an engineer some time to create. Can the government force me to dig a ditch or write a poem?

His password is probably 1234 anyways.

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrs_diesel »

Smokey wrote:His password is probably 1234 anyways.
That's amazing, I have the same combination on my luggage! :lol:
J.R.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

It's funny to see all the "experts" who say Apple can defeat the encryptions they employed for the newest iOS in an afternoon. Morons all.

Hopefully Apple will fight this all the way to the SCOTUS, so it won't even be addressed this year, leaving the FBI to wonder if there's anything but game scores on the one iPhone the BGs didn't destroyl. Probably nothing there anyway.

:boxing

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Bitter Clinger »

TomsTXCHL wrote:It's funny to see all the "experts" who say Apple can defeat the encryptions they employed for the newest iOS in an afternoon. Morons all.

Hopefully Apple will fight this all the way to the SCOTUS, so it won't even be addressed this year, leaving the FBI to wonder if there's anything but game scores on the one iPhone the BGs didn't destroyl. Probably nothing there anyway.

:boxing
Are you actually Wendy Davis? :waiting:
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by striker55 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Apple will fight a federal magistrate's order to help the Obama administration break into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the shooters in last December's deadly San Bernardino terror attack.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/17/ap ... tcmp=hpbt1

As someone else famously said, "common sense is not so common"...

The NSA can't break into it?? They are slacking.
My thoughts also, why doesn't our government have the best and brightest? Why can their websites be hacked and our techs can't figure it out?

rentz
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rentz »

anygunanywhere wrote:
rentz wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
rentz wrote:

Huge difference?

Don't think so. Flexible ethics.
not really

WildBill
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WildBill »

I find it ironic that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [DCMA], passed in 1986, makes it a crime to develop software that defeats passwords and data encryption.
NRA Endowment Member

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 6

Post by treadlightly »

anygunanywhere wrote:

plus the issue isnt that they will or wont get into this phone its that they wont write backdoor into their code for law enforcement.[/quote]

Huge difference?

Don't think so. Flexible ethics.[/quote]

I think the difference is the old systems were like locks that supported a regular key and a master key.

The new systems don't allow a master key. Apple did that because they didn't want to hold responsibility for customer's data.

My family owns a storage yard. We don't keep keys for customer's locks. Should we?

And what if the NSA can break the encryption - should they? It would signal to our enemies a vital secret. Churchill let Coventry get bombed for just that reason, or so the popular version of history goes.

It's also possible the NSA can't. The math behind most encryption is fairly simple. Big numbers, but simple math, and widely used for many purposes besides encryption. The security comes from ways to mathematically make sausage out of pig without being able to convert the sausage back to a happy sow.

If those math principles are truly not one-way there would be major implications in many, many areas that have nothing to do with encryption.

If the general public had not yet figured out the Pythagorean theorem, for example, maybe those numeric relationships could be used in encryption. But once an amateur pyramid-builder figured out how much tile to pre-order, the lid would blow clean off any right-triangle based encryption.

If a keyless solution to popular encryption is discovered, it will have such far-reaching ripples it won't stay secret.

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

anygunanywhere wrote:
rentz wrote:

YUP! :thumbs2: Or as made famous during the Clinton years,"Situational Ethics".

Profit motive pure and simple for Apple. They have unlocked many phones before and the FBI is NOT asking for all phones, just this one.

For Apple's Cook, there is obviously no absolute standard against which all things should be measured. But then again, why should we expect him to actually adhere to any moral standards?

There is clearly NO "Do the right thing" moral obligation extant at Apple. Which is why I will never patronize them!
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

koine2002 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
rentz wrote:

YUP! :thumbs2: Or as made famous during the Clinton years,"Situational Ethics".

Profit motive pure and simple for Apple. They have unlocked many phones before and the FBI is NOT asking for all phones, just this one.

For Apple's Cook, there is obviously no absolute standard against which all things should be measured. But then again, why should we expect him to actually adhere to any moral standards?

There is clearly NO "Do the right thing" moral obligation extant at Apple. Which is why I will never patronize them!
Which means you will not be patronizing Google or Microsoft either. They're standing behind Apple on this one. http://www.cultofmac.com/413014/compani ... cy-stance/
Good point, thanks. I was running out of companies to trash :grumble
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”