This is why I will not own any Apple products!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This is why I will not own any Apple products!

Post by rtschl »

Apple is wrong per Donald Trump: "Boycott Apple until such time as they give that information" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9ydy_zwe8

Everyone else must be wrong so turn off your iPhones, iPads, iMacs, iPods... :biggrinjester:
Ron
NRA Member

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I think Trump is going to push the limits of being a police-stater and playing fast and loose with the Constitution. He must have an incredible team of big data scientists who crunch the numbers of popular opinion so that he can come out with the most populist statement possible at just the right time.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

When did you ever hear of a politician who was also a technical type? I can't think of one.

The truth is, most people truly believe all manufacturers leave a back door just so they can help them out when they forget their password. They just don't want to believe that is not true.

I spent 20 years providing technical support (both in the field and on the telephone) for a major manufacturer of fiber optic telecommunications equipment. Our customers were all the big telcos, some Mom & Pop telcos, cable and internet providers, and various government agencies.

Every couple of weeks, we would get a request from some customer to unlock a piece of gear. Old Joe used to work on this box and he retired/died/was fired/transferred away. Nobody else knows the user id or password to get into the box. Of course, they had been changed from the default the equipment shipped with. Many times, they simply would not believe us that it was not possible to break into the equipment and retain it's provisioning (data). Oh, there were ways to get into it, but they would all destroy the data and drop all of the traffic going through the box.

If there had been a back door and we used it to help one of these guys out, the result would have been a flurry of lawsuits from all of our customers for failure to meet the security standards we published.

Apple is almost certainly sitting in the same boat with their commercial and government customers.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WildBill
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:When did you ever hear of a politician who was also a technical type? I can't think of one.
There aren't very many. Most probably think too logically to be a good politician. :tiphat:
Among the 435 members of the House, for example, there are one physicist, one chemist, one microbiologist, six engineers and nearly two dozen representatives with medical training. The case of doctors and the body politic is telling. Everyone knows roughly what doctors do, and so those with medical backgrounds escape the anti-intellectual charge of irrelevance often thrown at those in the hard sciences. Witness Senator Bill Frist, Gov. Howard Dean and even Ron Paul.
http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... ists/?_r=0
NRA Endowment Member

One Shot

Post by One Shot »

Interesting additional details.
Comments worth reading too.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/02/ ... pple-says-
One Shot

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 23

Post by The Annoyed Man »

One Shot wrote:Interesting additional details.
VERY interesting. Gov't's case against Apple kind of falls apart.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 6

Post by treadlightly »

One Shot wrote:Interesting additional details.
Sounds like investigators were blocking further access to the account, but didn't understand the implications of what they were doing.

As for Trump's statement against Apple, I wonder where he keeps his money? In a bank? Surely, not.

After all, bank vaults generally feature an internal pane of glass. Drill the mechanism, the glass shatters before you can compromise the lock, and when the glass shatters, it drops additional locking cogs into place.

Kind of like how ten wrong tries on an iPhone will zap it's memory.

And of course Trump's banks would never fail to cooperate with the FBI. But they empower manufacturers to build products that have unbreakable features criminals could leverage.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news ... in-on.html

Kind of interesting some other cyber security companies agreeing with Apple.

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Cook is a traitor.

Feds slam Apple, saying it could easily help unlock iPhone and is 'not above the law'

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The government screwed it up and now want Apple to undo their mess.
Apple executives say the iPhone was in the possession of the government when iCloud password was reset. A federal official familiar with the investigation confirmed that federal investigators were indeed in possession of the phone when the reset occurred.

Missing the opportunity for a backup was crucial because some of the information stored on the phone would have been backed up to the iCloud and could have potentially been retrieved. According to court records, the iPhone had not been backed up since Oct. 19, 2015, one-and-a-half months before the attack and that this “indicates to the FBI that Farook may have disabled the automatic iCloud backup function to hide evidence.”
Trusting the Feds with our personal secrets just seems like a bad Idea.. They have proven they can't be trusted. They lie they steal, and protect their own, Who wants their email on someones private email server. Every day the news reports about anonymous sources and leaks ..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

What happens if Apple unlocks the phone, and the FBI then discovers that the data they are looking for is stored in another encrypted application?
NRA lifetime member

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Cook is a traitor, Apple is a POS.

Feds slam Apple, saying it could easily help unlock byiPhone and is 'not above the law'

If Apple complied with the order, prosecutors around the country would ask for the same technology, the executive said.

So far, only the U.S. has asked Apple to undertake such an endeavor, the executive added, but other countries would surely follow if federal prosecutors succceed in this case.
Would you want other countries to demand Apple provide them the software? China, Russia, etc.

Since the FBI is having to brute force the password, people can protect themselves from this attack by using a stronger, long, non numeric password.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

Feds slam Apple, saying it could easily help unlock iPhone and is 'not above the law'

You are violating forum rules with your post. You can't use the three capital letters at the end of your rant.

I for one side with Apple and it is why I also buy their products.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

jmra

Post by jmra »

Seems like some folks on this thread want to peek into Pandora's Box.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Right2Carry wrote:

You are violating forum rules with your post. You can't use the three capital letters at the end of your rant.

I for one side with Apple and it is why I also buy their products.
Assuming you are correct, despite an admitted bias, I have edited the post. Thank you.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”