This is why I will not own any Apple products!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 27

This is why I will not own any Apple products!

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Apple will fight a federal magistrate's order to help the Obama administration break into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the shooters in last December's deadly San Bernardino terror attack.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/17/ap ... tcmp=hpbt1

As someone else famously said, "common sense is not so common"...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Re: This is why I will not own any Apple products!

Post by anygunanywhere »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Apple will fight a federal magistrate's order to help the Obama administration break into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the shooters in last December's deadly San Bernardino terror attack.

The NSA can't break into it?? They are slacking.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Apple will fight a federal magistrate's order to help the Obama administration break into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the shooters in last December's deadly San Bernardino terror attack.

Apple doesn't want any competition in looking at your personal data.

justa2e2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by justa2e2 »

I don't see what the issue is? Apple is looking out for the privacy of its customers. If they create a backdoor into the OS then they open a can of worms that can't be put back in.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

anygunanywhere wrote:

The NSA can't break into it?? They are slacking.
:lol:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

justa2e2 wrote:I don't see what the issue is? Apple is looking out for the privacy of its customers. If they create a backdoor into the OS then they open a can of worms that can't be put back in.
The phone is owned by the shooter's employer (San Bernadino County I think). I'm sure they want the FBI to be able to access the data also. I would think Apple could crack this phone without affecting any of the others, then retain the code that did it.

justa2e2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by justa2e2 »

Bryanmc wrote:
justa2e2 wrote:I don't see what the issue is? Apple is looking out for the privacy of its customers. If they create a backdoor into the OS then they open a can of worms that can't be put back in.
The phone is owned by the shooter's employer (San Bernadino County I think). I'm sure they want the FBI to be able to access the data also. I would think Apple could crack this phone without affecting any of the others, then retain the code that did it.
You can't create a backdoor that only affects one device as you will never know what device will need cracking. Backdoors are engineered into the software code with a hope and a prayer that no ill willed person or persons will ever find it. If they were that concerned with maintaining the integrity of the data they would have had someone set it up properly. You can't blame the company for wanting to protect the privacy of millions of customers just because the government wants in. Imagine what could be done by the government if Apple handed over a backdoor into every IPhone in the US. We can not stand for some rights and not others. I truly hope that Apple does not comply with putting backdoors into any of its software. The government has already collected enough of my personal data already.

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mayor »

anygunanywhere wrote: The NSA can't break into it?? They are slacking.

:iagree:

this. it's already too easy for the government to collect too much data illegally. why make it easier?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

The government can already get into the phone.

Think about it for a second.

If the government was to publish "evidence" from the phone that proves terrorist intent without Apple's involvement it would prove publicly what most of us already know, which is they already have a back door. How many people are ignorant of the quantity of information and the many publicized examples of the government's gleaning of information? Does anyone really think that the government can't break into anything? Ask German chancellor Merkle.

The government is playing innocent. Ground yourself in reality.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 23

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bitter, I have to respectfully disagree.....

I'm on my 3rd iPhone. I appreciate the privacy from the overreaching grasp of an out of control federal gov't which, particularly under the direction of a racist fascist like Obama, thinks it has no limits to its power over our lives. If that means that Apple has exclusive use of my data so that they can try to sell me stuff, well at least I'm being marketed to by a company which cares more about my 4th Amendment rights than does the government which is charged with protecting those rights.

If it is possible for Apple to cooperate with that investigation without revealing their encryption methods to gov't, then maybe they should cooperate. But if cooperation means revealing their encryption methods, thereby unlocking all iPhones to gov't intrusion at will, then the Obama administration can go fly a kite........EVEN if that means that some connection to other terrorists goes undiscovered.

"You'll be safer" as an excuse for giving NSA unprecedented access in all of history to the private data of loyal American citizens has turned out NOT to have prevented jihadist attacks in this country. The creation of the Department of Homeland Security and passage of the "Patriot" Act has made us LESS secure in our persons and affairs, while adding a HUGE bureaucracy with vast powers onto the backs of already overburdened taxpayers - a bureaucracy, which once created, will NEVER disappear from that burden. The last time I boarded a plane, I had to submit to having my privates jostled by a woman in uniform with an attitude.

If Apple can and will protect this lowly consumer's privacy from the intrusions of such a gov't, I applaud and thank them. Just look at what the pursuit of terrorism has done to both our liberties and our presumption of innocence even without criminal charges. We now live in an ages where we have to PROVE to gov't that our continued personal liberty is merited every single day by submitting to daily ongoing invasions of our privacy. Is THAT what generations of Americans fought and died for?

Those terrorists are dead. Good. Some of their associations have already been discovered. Good. I seriously doubt that giving THIS gov't access to the data of ALL Apple users will catch a single terrorist....... But it WILL diminish the Constitution that much more. TRUE Liberty is not without risk. I would rather assume that risk than surrender my Liberty. If others are more concerned about their risk than their liberty, then let them take steps individually to mitigate their risks (by carrying a gun, for instance). But the argument that ALL must surrender their liberty so that SOME can feel safe is bovine waste product, and it has done more to damage liberty in this country than almost any other influence.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

anygunanywhere wrote:The government can already get into the phone.

Think about it for a second.

If the government was to publish "evidence" from the phone that proves terrorist intent without Apple's involvement it would prove publicly what most of us already know, which is they already have a back door. How many people are ignorant of the quantity of information and the many publicized examples of the government's gleaning of information? Does anyone really think that the government can't break into anything? Ask German chancellor Merkle.

The government is playing innocent. Ground yourself in reality.
OTOH, we are bombarded daily with evidence of incompetent bungling, sloth, laziness, buffoonery, and various other reasons to conclude that the bureaucrats wear loafers because they can't tie their own shoes.

Incompetence is always a plausible explanation for government activities and misadventures.

The saving grace is that if they want to badly enough, they command virtually limitless resources to throw at a problem, no matter what it costs or how long it may take. When you are spending someone else's money, there is no point in skimping.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Bitter, I have to respectfully disagree.....

I'm on my 3rd iPhone. I appreciate the privacy from the overreaching grasp of an out of control federal gov't which, particularly under the direction of a racist fascist like Obama, thinks it has no limits to its power over our lives. If that means that Apple has exclusive use of my data so that they can try to sell me stuff, well at least I'm being marketed to by a company which cares more about my 4th Amendment rights than does the government which is charged with protecting those rights.

If it is possible for Apple to cooperate with that investigation without revealing their encryption methods to gov't, then maybe they should cooperate. But if cooperation means revealing their encryption methods, thereby unlocking all iPhones to gov't intrusion at will, then the Obama administration can go fly a kite........EVEN if that means that some connection to other terrorists goes undiscovered.

"You'll be safer" as an excuse for giving NSA unprecedented access in all of history to the private data of loyal American citizens has turned out NOT to have prevented jihadist attacks in this country. The creation of the Department of Homeland Security and passage of the "Patriot" Act has made us LESS secure in our persons and affairs, while adding a HUGE bureaucracy with vast powers onto the backs of already overburdened taxpayers - a bureaucracy, which once created, will NEVER disappear from that burden. The last time I boarded a plane, I had to submit to having my privates jostled by a woman in uniform with an attitude.

If Apple can and will protect this lowly consumer's privacy from the intrusions of such a gov't, I applaud and thank them. Just look at what the pursuit of terrorism has done to both our liberties and our presumption of innocence even without criminal charges. We now live in an ages where we have to PROVE to gov't that our continued personal liberty is merited every single day by submitting to daily ongoing invasions of our privacy. Is THAT what generations of Americans fought and died for?

Those terrorists are dead. Good. Some of their associations have already been discovered. Good. I seriously doubt that giving THIS gov't access to the data of ALL Apple users will catch a single terrorist....... But it WILL diminish the Constitution that much more. TRUE Liberty is not without risk. I would rather assume that risk than surrender my Liberty. If others are more concerned about their risk than their liberty, then let them take steps individually to mitigate their risks (by carrying a gun, for instance). But the argument that ALL must surrender their liberty so that SOME can feel safe is bovine waste product, and it has done more to damage liberty in this country than almost any other influence.
Well said as usual TAM. I don't think the Federal government needs anymore access to our personal lives than they already have. Freedom is the difference between us and those who wish to destroy us. I am all for finding and rooting out evil wherever it exists, but I am not willing to give away my liberty to make it happen. I think this is a backhanded attempt to make make up for the embarrassment this administration faced when it was revealed that they did nothing to vet the female terrorist who walked right in with no one even taking a second glance.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WildBill »

I haven't read each link thoroughly, but it sounds like the govt wants Apple to create a new operating system with a "back door" rather than breaking into an already encrypted phone.
This is quite different than getting data that is already on a phone. I agree with a couple of posters that every iPhone can already be hacked.
NRA Endowment Member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

:iagree:
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”