Another Meme Thread

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Another Meme Thread

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

RogueUSMC wrote:
Keith B wrote:OK, not really gun related, but thought it was really funny for us who grew up with the jingle.

https://youtu.be/hVYArjS-Ee0
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 368

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TexasTornado »

"Nothing says over 40 like 2 spaces after a period."
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 12

Post by twomillenium »

TexasTornado wrote:Image

Just checked. It is still proper to space twice after a period. (<--- used two spaces after period but was auto miscorrected by program)
Just checked. It is still not proper to space only once after period. ;-)

I noticed that on some forums the second space is auto taken out, I guess this is to save on character spaces.

Remember, that those who are over 50 are starting to show some survival skills that those under 40 might still need to acquire.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Jusme »

twomillenium wrote:
Remember, that those who are over 50 are starting to show some survival skills that those under 40 might still need to acquire.

:iagree:

You don't get to be this age without learning a thing or two. Is that too many spaces? :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

twomillenium wrote:

Just checked. It is still proper to space twice after a period. (<--- used two spaces after period but was auto miscorrected by program)

I noticed that on some forums the second space is auto taken out, I guess this is to save on character spaces.

Where did you find that it is proper? The MLA, Chicago Manual of Syle, and APA all say one. The only allowance for two is by the APA on manuscript drafts, but not in published works. The double space was started to correct for limitations of monotypeset typewriters. Soooo unless you're typing on a pre-electronic typewriter......

For the love of all that is good and holy in this world..... stop with the double spaces. :cryin
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Jusme »

TexasTornado wrote:
twomillenium wrote:

Soooo unless you're typing on a pre-electronic typewriter......

Hey I resent that remark!! :biggrinjester:

I'll have you know that my typing class my junior year of high school, was the first one to use electric typewriters, IBM Selectrics. so I'm not that far removed from modern technolgy!! :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mojo84 »

TexasTornado wrote:
twomillenium wrote:

Where did you find that it is proper? The MLA, Chicago Manual of Syle, and APA all say one. The only allowance for two is by the APA on manuscript drafts, but not in published works. The double space was started to correct for limitations of monotypeset typewriters. Soooo unless you're typing on a pre-electronic typewriter......

For the love of all that is good and holy in this world..... stop with the double spaces. :cryin

For heaven's sake, use the elipses correctly. It doesn't replace a comma and it is only 3 dots.

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

:lol:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

twomillenium wrote:

Two spaces is a holdover from the days of typewriters and monospaced typefaces.
If you are using a proportionally spaced font, one space at the end of a sentence is the proper way. :rules:
BTW as long as I am on my high horse, there is an ellipsis character in most fonts so it is not dot dot dot.
If you really care or want the details, this book has most of the rules and guidelines.

NRA Endowment Member

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

mojo84 wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
twomillenium wrote:

For heaven's sake, use the elipses correctly. It doesn't replace a comma and it is only 3 dots.

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

:lol:
Fair enough. I will try to curb my ellipses usage. I never use them in formal writing.

NRA Lifetime Member

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 12

Post by twomillenium »

The computer tends to do what it wants and that is fine with me. I happen to like double space. It allows you to read between the lines. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

twomillenium wrote:The computer tends to do what it wants and that is fine with me. I happen to like double space. It allows you to read between the lines. :biggrinjester:
All you need for that is a woman.

NRA Lifetime Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Abraham »

The message is so banal what difference does it make if it's single, double or google spaced?

I'm guessing this is the sort of important social blather twitter types can't get enough of. Oh, heavens, I've ended a sentence with a preposition...whatever shall I do?

Uh oh, I feel the vapors coming on...

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:The message is so banal what difference does it make if it's single, double or google spaced?

I'm guessing this is the sort of important social blather twitter types can't get enough of. Oh, heavens, I've ended a sentence with a preposition...whatever shall I do?

Uh oh, I feel the vapors coming on...
That's what memes are for ... Sit down and take a deep breath. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Abraham wrote:...what difference does it make...?

Ok Hillary :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. That phrase makes me cringe since she rubbed her pure evil off on it.

NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”