This is just the tip of the iceburg

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Antares
Posts in topic: 1

This is just the tip of the iceburg

Post by Antares »

Depending on how this case is resolved it could open up a flood of lawsuits against gun manufacturers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lawsui ... smsnnews11
God Bless our Military and the United States

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Re: This is just the tip of the iceburg

Post by JALLEN »

Froma the linked article:
Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis declined to dismiss it, saying the gunmaker, a unit of Madison, North Carolina-based Freedom Group Inc, had not proven that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act stopped her from hearing the case.

"The Superior Court has subject matter jurisdiction over a wrongful death action where the injury arose out of conduct by the defendants," Bellis wrote. "Any immunity that PLCAA may provide does not implicate this court's subject matter jurisdiction."
This tells me that it is a technical reading of the statute, that the case can be heard to determine if the facts are such as to give the defendants a complete defense to the claims.

Each state has its own pleading rules. No telling what Connecticutt's are. You may remember that Colorado has rules that in Federal Court resulted in dismissal of the claims against Lucky Gunner in the movie theater case.

We want disputes to be heard, give claimants their day in court if they are so entitled. If you can't state a claim in which relief can be granted, then dismissal is warranted. So, too, if there is no dispute of material facts, summary judgment is warranted. Most cases are not that clear, so a trial is appropriate if not resolved before trial.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

It looks like we have two threads on this case.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Already running the link above.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”