Hawaii

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

lildave40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hawaii

Post by lildave40 »

joe817 wrote:
Ed4032 wrote:
psijac wrote: no Whataburger...
OMG how do they eat. I would starve!!

"rlol" :smilelol5: They probably don't have Mexican food over there too! Those are 2 staples that I survive on!
They actually have Los Chapararros Mexican restaurant And cholos Homestyle. Taco bell is better that both thought.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

AndyC wrote:No guns, no way. Pass.
No allergies, either (which seems odd, given that it's more or less one giant garden).

I like my guns, but I like being able to breath, too. Plus the scenery is nice.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

MAJOkie wrote:
EastTexasRancher wrote:My brother-in-law and his wife are re -arranging life to move to Hawaii. They're both long time Michiganders.... He keeps telling me "Dude, once you visit, you will live here too".

Then I looked up their gun laws.

PASS.

No way I'd ever live there. God Bless Texas.
I was born and raised there. Graduated High School there. Left to go to college in New Mexico, then joined the military.. went back exactly TWICE to visit family.. that's it.

No bleeping way would I try to move back there to live permanently.

Gun laws are just one small part of the reason.
What are the other reasons, if you don't mind my asking? Hawaii is on my short list of places I'd move to for a job... It's not an easy place to get in & out of, though, so I'd like to know as much as possible.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

comp73

Post by comp73 »

They might not have whataburger or decent mexican food in Hawaii. What they do have is arguably the best BBQ chicken I ever had, served out of a trailer in a parking lot. Its called Huli Huli chicken and it was awesome.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964

Post by philip964 »

If I remember correctly, out of state police officers may not have their gun with them. Not sure about federal officers.

I think you have 36 hours to bring a gun to the local police, if you bring it into the State.

Thought about retiring there, but the wife nixed it. Too far from family. I figured they would come to us, since most love the place.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:If I remember correctly, out of state police officers may not have their gun with them. Not sure about federal officers.

I think you have 36 hours to bring a gun to the local police, if you bring it into the State.

Thought about retiring there, but the wife nixed it. Too far from family. I figured they would come to us, since most love the place.
If you have pets you may want to check out the rules prior to thinking of a move.
There is a five day in quarantine if you meet all of the requirements, or 120 days if you don't.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-qu ... tion-page/
NRA Endowment Member

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Dave2 wrote:
MAJOkie wrote:
EastTexasRancher wrote:My brother-in-law and his wife are re -arranging life to move to Hawaii. They're both long time Michiganders.... He keeps telling me "Dude, once you visit, you will live here too".

Then I looked up their gun laws.

PASS.

No way I'd ever live there. God Bless Texas.
I was born and raised there. Graduated High School there. Left to go to college in New Mexico, then joined the military.. went back exactly TWICE to visit family.. that's it.

No bleeping way would I try to move back there to live permanently.

Gun laws are just one small part of the reason.
What are the other reasons, if you don't mind my asking? Hawaii is on my short list of places I'd move to for a job... It's not an easy place to get in & out of, though, so I'd like to know as much as possible.
the cost of living is so high it makes CA look cheap.
the drug culture is crazy. I'm not exaggerating when I say that pretty much everyone knows who the has something and where to get it.

I lived there when I was a kid. I'd never live there again, but I'd love to visit now that I'm older.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

stroo

Post by stroo »

I had an opportunity to take a job at a significant promotion there about 20 years ago. But I had already worked with Hawaiians on several projects, and while I liked them personally, I also figured out that it was a very difficult place for a haole to live and work. So I turned it down and have never regretted it.

So it is a great place to visit, not a great place to live.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

stroo wrote:I had an opportunity to take a job at a significant promotion there about 20 years ago. But I had already worked with Hawaiians on several projects, and while I liked them personally, I also figured out that it was a very difficult place for a haole to live and work. So I turned it down and have never regretted it.

From what I've read it's actually become more difficult, or more racist toward haoles, in the last 20 years or so. It's really very sad.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

And don't forget DOG the Bounty Hunter is there too. "rlol"
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

Syntyr wrote:
Ed4032 wrote:
psijac wrote: no Whataburger...
OMG how do they eat. I would starve!!
You can buy the Loco Moco...

Rice hamburger egg gravy ..

Loco moco is one of the best things I learned about in Hawaii. I make it at home now. Teriyaki chicken lunch plate is also good! The Hawaiian restaurant in my town, (owned by real Hawaiians,) makes a good lunch plate. Or as the kama'aina say, "It's so ono. You know da kine, bro."

MAJOkie

Post by MAJOkie »

SewTexas wrote:
stroo wrote:I had an opportunity to take a job at a significant promotion there about 20 years ago. But I had already worked with Hawaiians on several projects, and while I liked them personally, I also figured out that it was a very difficult place for a haole to live and work. So I turned it down and have never regretted it.

From what I've read it's actually become more difficult, or more racist toward haoles, in the last 20 years or so. It's really very sad.
Hard to imagine it could get tougher but I wouldn't put it past them. I am actually part Hawaiian. I have enough in my ancestry to have been accepted to and graduated from Kamehameha Schools, a private school for those of Hawaiian descent only. But.. I look like my German Immigrant father and so I was a "haole" from the get go. I remember "Kill Haole" days in some public high schools back in the 60's and 70's where walking up and beating on a "white' kid was the norm and expected. Even if the attacker had not a single drop of Hawaiian blood.

That reason alone is enough not to want to go back. Add in the ridiculously high cost of living and being crammed in together in high density living and you can keep it. If I need to "experience" Hawaii, I'll go back and visit family members on the Big Island or Maui for a couple days to get it out of my system then come back. Wouldn't move back there even if I won the lottery.

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

comp73 wrote:They might not have whataburger or decent mexican food in Hawaii. What they do have is arguably the best BBQ chicken I ever had, served out of a trailer in a parking lot. Its called Huli Huli chicken and it was awesome.
Maui Tacos was amazing the last time I was there!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”