President calls for reinstatement of assault weapons ban

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

President calls for reinstatement of assault weapons ban

Post by LSUTiger »

Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

BurtG

Re: President calls for reinstatement of assault weapons ban

Post by BurtG »

That didn't take long, and was very predictable.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JALLEN »

So far, the more the Dem's thump the gun control tub, the fewer there are of them holding office.

AWB was snuck passed us once, in the Clinton Administration, by coincidence.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I just up graded my NRA membership from Endowment to Patron :leaving
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

So I listened to the video. He suggested 3 things:
1) Provide resources to law enforcement to actually enforce existing gun laws.
2) Don't allow people on the "no fly" list to buy firearms
3) Reinstate the assault weapons ban.

It strikes me as odd that that we rail against #3, which I believe that most people on the forum agree with and would support #1-#2. It might take a lot of heat off the whole thing if #1-#2 actually got done. The first two make sense to me. Even if I don't like the messenger, I agree with 2/3 of the message.

I personally don't have any use for a TEC-9, but I do own an AR and I see it simply as a modern rifle. I don't distinguish it from any other rifle of similar caliber that is semi automatic and takes a magazine. I'm not sure that the "assault weapon" ban would do much, other than make our collections a lot more valuable... It'd take decades for the ban to decrease the availability of these weapons in the US.

DocV

Post by DocV »

I would go for #1.
#2 could be prone to administrative abuse.
#3 is not going to stop any problems. ar-15s are not military weapons, regardless of how often those who would repeal our natural rights repeat their mantra.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

cb1000rider wrote: It strikes me as odd that that we rail against #3, which I believe that most people on the forum agree with and would support #1-#2. It might take a lot of heat off the whole thing if #1-#2 actually got done. The first two make sense to me. Even if I don't like the messenger, I agree with 2/3 of the message.
Personally, I can't get on board for anything except #1.

The "No Fly List" has no, zero, nada, nothing in the way of due process associated with it. Once you're on it, it's up to you to figure out how to get off of it, there's no way to force your removal, and there's no need for a conviction or proof of activity or wrongdoing to be placed on the list.

It would take next to nothing for it to switch from a blacklist method to a whitelist method.

I will not willingly submit to a single solitary extra restriction whatsoever. It's the whole "Camel's nose under the tent" thing.

So let's just enforce the laws we already have.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Solaris »

cb1000rider wrote:So I listened to the video. He suggested 3 things:
1) Provide resources to law enforcement to actually enforce existing gun laws.
2) Don't allow people on the "no fly" list to buy firearms
3) Reinstate the assault weapons ban.

It strikes me as odd that that we rail against #3, which I believe that most people on the forum agree with and would support #1-#2. It might take a lot of heat off the whole thing if #1-#2 actually got done. The first two make sense to me. Even if I don't like the messenger, I agree with 2/3 of the message.
Not me. I am against #2 & #3, and since I think about 99% of all gun laws should be repealed, I am not a big fan of #1 either.

Not sure why anyone would be in favor of #2. Anyone too dangerous to own a gun is too dangerous to be allowed to buy box cutters, fertilizer, pressure cookers, see what I did there?

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Does anyone doubt that any such ban would be comparable to ACA's 2000 plus pages? I think we've compromised enough. The left is "never" satisfied with anything they favor and get passed. To them its "always a good start". It's like feeding a stray dog in the hope it goes goes away. If the AWB is passed you'll be lucky to allowed to apply for a license to own an air rifle. No thank you. JMHO

:fire
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

So does he not realize how many jobs will go away if this happens , I guess he doesn't care about any of that the way the economy is now . Even if there was a ban on them there would still be a market for them and anyone could still get there hands on them so to me this is stupid to even think about.
leeproductsonline.com

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

cbunt1 wrote:The "No Fly List" has no, zero, nada, nothing in the way of due process associated with it. Once you're on it, it's up to you to figure out how to get off of it, there's no way to force your removal, and there's no need for a conviction or proof of activity or wrongdoing to be placed on the list.
I'm in agreement. I listened to Senator Dianne Feinstein on the news Sunday saying basically, if you get on the no-fly list you can appeal, and go before a judge to prove your innocence.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still think it's the responsibility of the government to prove someone guilty, not the other way around.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Well... "AJ calls for the mongrel president to resign effective immediately, and to take Biden with him so that Paul Ryan becomes president."

Has about as much of a chance of happening.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

It w seem our President is pro-terrorist.
If you ban them then the terrorist won't have to worry about people shooting back as much.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

cbunt1 wrote: The "No Fly List" has no, zero, nada, nothing in the way of due process associated with it. Once you're on it, it's up to you to figure out how to get off of it, there's no way to force your removal, and there's no need for a conviction or proof of activity or wrongdoing to be placed on the list.
I think that's a legit "legal" concern. You can be granted rights by the constitution to only have then taken away by a secret un-adjudicated process. Still, it strikes many people as funny (including myself) that we're willing to ban them from commercial airlines, but they can still buy weapons.

There has to be a better way...

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”