KHOU - New bill against carrying firearms while intoxicated

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Steve5115
Posts in topic: 1

KHOU - New bill against carrying firearms while intoxicated

Post by Steve5115 »

HOUSTON- A local family says a mixture of alcohol and guns led to a shooting that forever changed one woman's life. That's why they're supporting a proposed bill that will likely stir up the gun rights debate.

The bill would make it illegal to be intoxicated while carrying a firearm in Texas.
http://www.khou.com/news/politics/new-b ... /401583872

dhoobler

Re: KHOU - New bill against carrying firearms while intoxicated

Post by dhoobler »

I am suspicious of bills like this. I think that they are meant to frame the debate in a manner to discredit the NRA and Second Amendment supporters. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

The NRA Fights to Keep Guns in the Hands of Wife Beaters
http://www.rawstory.com/2013/03/the-nra ... e-beaters/

I can see the headlines now:
The NRA Fights to Keep Guns in the Hands of Drunks.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

How about a law making it illegal to "be" intoxicated in Texas.... :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

I will have to see the draft of this proposed bill, but, while I don't condone mixing alcohol and gun powder, this forms a preemptive assumption of criminal activity. Being intoxicated, does not mean that a person will use a gun illegally, or even irresponsibly. Secondly, where does this "carrying while under the influence" have to occur? If I have a few beers at my house, and put my gun beside my bed before turning in, would I be guilty of a crime?

What will they plan to do the next time a person under the influence stabs someone? Will they then want to include knives in the law? Baseball bats?

An LTC holder can already be charged for carrying while intoxicated, with no statutorial blood alcohol level. This sounds like just a catch-all for everyone else. If a person uses a gun illegally, what will this law accomplish? Aggravated assault, and murder are already illegal, so how will this change that?

Lastly, would this law have prevented, the tragedy, that they are using to justify this bill?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Just another post tradgedy uninformed emotion based bill. It's already illegal to fire a weapon under the influence (coming from the whole drinking and hunting argument). They have to make themselves believe they are making a difference.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

The headline should read: New bill wastes legislative time and taxpayer dollars on something that is already illegal!.. just like so many other feel good bills from the left.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I believe that it is already illegal to carry while intoxicated. So either this bill is just a feel good measure that does nothing, or they are defining "carrying" in a different manner.

If this extends to ones home, and "carrying" includes having access to a gun that is in a safe, then this would have the practical effect of making one choose between alcohol and gun ownership. Kind of like extending "drunk driving" to include being at home with keys to your car that is sitting in the garage. I hope it doesn't go down that path.

My personal rule is that the gun goes in the safe before I get a third drink in my hand for the night.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

:roll: Feel good legislation.

The US should just ban alcohol... :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The headline should read: New bill wastes legislative time and taxpayer dollars on something that is already illegal!.. just like so many other feel good bills from the left.
How many legislative committees spend time looking into whether a proposed law is completely, or even mostly, redundant and therefore a waste of time and energy? One reform at the State and/or Federal level would be to ensure that a bill's author provides documentation of all current laws relating to the topic at hand to the committee initially looking at a bill, and includes reasoning why the new law is needed beyond the existing ones.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

bblhd672 wrote::roll: Feel good legislation.

Knowing the left.. they might think this NEW idea is a good one! :cheers2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Middle Age Russ wrote:
How many legislative committees spend time looking into whether a proposed law is completely, or even mostly, redundant and therefore a waste of time and energy? One reform at the State and/or Federal level would be to ensure that a bill's author provides documentation of all current laws relating to the topic at hand to the committee initially looking at a bill, and includes reasoning why the new law is needed beyond the existing ones.

:iagree:

So much time is wasted already on redundant bills, that will have zero impact, or enhancement of existing laws.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

It's already against the law to shoot your girlfriend. And what will this law do for the population if passed? The same thing the drunk driving law does. Gives you one more charge to add if someone gets injured or dead. Does absolutely nothing to prevent the injury or death.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

dhoobler wrote:I am suspicious of bills like this. I think that they are meant to frame the debate in a manner to discredit the NRA and Second Amendment supporters. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

The NRA Fights to Keep Guns in the Hands of Wife Beaters
http://www.rawstory.com/2013/03/the-nra ... e-beaters/

I can see the headlines now:
The NRA Fights to Keep Guns in the Hands of Drunks.
The most recent example I've seen of this was headlines saying President Trump wanted to let mentally ill people have guns.

For example: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-votes ... tally-ill/

I actually had a friend at work ask me what that was really about, because she knows I'm big on gun rights and would know. She just couldn't believe the MSM line that said "GOP votes to arm mentally ill people." You know it's bad (good?) when even the liberals are starting to question the hogwash coming out of the media these days.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I too saw this news spot. It was very short on details, as in no details of the shooting. The bill is going to be filed by a Democrat and that speaks volumes. I suspect it will be both unnecessary and grossly overbroad.

Chas.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

TreyHouston wrote:
bblhd672 wrote::roll: Feel good legislation.

Knowing the left.. they might think this NEW idea is a good one! :cheers2:

No you are looking at this wrong. Alcohol is TOTALLY safe and never has hurt a soul or caused any accidents or mayhem. Now guns on the other hand are evil incarnate. Ergo the solution is to BAN GUNS!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”