Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX 36) thinks he's better than you

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 3

Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX 36) thinks he's better than you

Post by CleverNickname »

...because he's just submitted a bill to legalize carry pretty much anywhere in the US, but only by congressmen and senators.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/congress-p ... where-u-s/

No bill number yet, but the bill text is on his website.

https://babin.house.gov/uploadedfiles/b ... ngress.pdf

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX 36) thinks he's better than you

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm in the process of drafting letters to my Congressman and Senators saying "don't even think about" passing legislation for yourselves without making improvements in concealed carry for citizens. Federal property rules can be just as easily changed for licensed carriers as they can for elected representatives.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

doncb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by doncb »

They ALL think they're better than us.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

chasfm11 wrote:I'm in the process of drafting letters to my Congressman and Senators saying "don't even think about" passing legislation for yourselves without making improvements in concealed carry for citizens. Federal property rules can be just as easily changed for licensed carriers as they can for elected representatives.
Maybe you can pass them along so I can email them letters too!

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

There was this article yesterday on the Free Beacon that has Thomas Massie KY-R proposing DC allow any carry permit from another state it seems. No text yet so we don't know what it really says/going to say

http://freebeacon.com/issues/republican ... ia-attack/

striker55

Post by striker55 »

doncb wrote:They ALL think they're better than us.
Not only better than us but what is better for us. :rules:

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Wag2323 wrote:There was this article yesterday on the Free Beacon that has Thomas Massie KY-R proposing DC allow any carry permit from another state it seems. No text yet so we don't know what it really says/going to say

http://freebeacon.com/issues/republican ... ia-attack/
I liked what I saw of that one. He said explicitly that it would apply to all, not just members of congress.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

We already have similar laws in Texas such as allowing judges to carry where we can't. Retired LEO can pretty much carry everywhere I believe. They may not be better than us but congresspeople may be at more risk than we are and the choices are that we provide them security at all times or we let them carry. Nothing would help our cause more than to have a bunch of democrats that want gun control trying to defend the argument that it is alright for them to carry but not us.
Just think of what this one shooter could have done to our government had Scalise not had an armed guard with him that day. Potentially every republican at that field could have been killed. I think this could be a stepping stone to further legislation giving reciprocity to LTC carriers.

Topic author
CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I don't think many Dems will vote for this.
rotor wrote:I think this could be a stepping stone to further legislation giving reciprocity to LTC carriers.
Right, just like happened with LEOSA.

rotor

Post by rotor »

CleverNickname wrote:I don't think many Dems will vote for this.
rotor wrote:I think this could be a stepping stone to further legislation giving reciprocity to LTC carriers.
Right, just like happened with LEOSA.
Not so much dems voting for it but if it passes can be a stepping stone for more inclusive bills and dems will carry if they are afraid to be out and don't have private or public security.

DEB

Post by DEB »

rotor wrote:We already have similar laws in Texas such as allowing judges to carry where we can't. Retired LEO can pretty much carry everywhere I believe. They may not be better than us but congresspeople may be at more risk than we are and the choices are that we provide them security at all times or we let them carry. Nothing would help our cause more than to have a bunch of democrats that want gun control trying to defend the argument that it is alright for them to carry but not us.
Just think of what this one shooter could have done to our government had Scalise not had an armed guard with him that day. Potentially every republican at that field could have been killed. I think this could be a stepping stone to further legislation giving reciprocity to LTC carriers.
:iagree: The more people of whatever stripe that carry, furthers the cause to full reciprocity. I do know this won't happen all at once, especially for the masses, but it does further the right to carry, even if it is small baby steps.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Topic author
CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

rotor wrote: if it passes can be a stepping stone for more inclusive bills
Please provide an instance where an exception to a firearms law for a favored group was later expanded to include the general public, especially on the federal level. I mean I guess there's a first time for everything, but Rep Babin isn't even making the claim that passing this bill will help lead to better things for everyone else in the future. I might even excuse his actions to some extent if he had a record of trying to get national reciprocity passed, or trying to do something like loosen some restrictions in 18 USC 930. But AFAIK he hasn't. He's just looking out for himself. Not much of a public servant.

rotor

Post by rotor »

CleverNickname wrote:
Please provide an instance where an exception to a firearms law for a favored group was later expanded to include the general public, especially on the federal level. I mean I guess there's a first time for everything, but Rep Babin isn't even making the claim that passing this bill will help lead to better things for everyone else in the future. I might even excuse his actions to some extent if he had a record of trying to get national reciprocity passed, or trying to do something like loosen some restrictions in 18 USC 930. But AFAIK he hasn't. He's just looking out for himself. Not much of a public servant.
I can't provide an example but if we get congress people exempted from some of the nonsensical gun control laws on the argument that they need to be able to protect themselves I believe that could be used as an argument for LTC holders as well. I would bet that some congress people could not pass the background checks that we have passed. The point is that one does not accomplish major change immediately and small steps forward are possible, just like open carry. It is only my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I would just as soon see this bill pass than no bill.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

CleverNickname wrote:
Please provide an instance where an exception to a firearms law for a favored group was later expanded to include the general public, especially on the federal level.
As common as tax loopholes for special interest groups being expanded to include the average taxpayer.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

For anyone who's having trouble understanding why we don't support this bill:

Why Gun Owners Are Against Concealed Carry Reciprocity For Lawmakers
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”