Northeastern U: Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
circumspice_tuebor
Posts in topic: 1

Northeastern U: Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

I have not read the study in depth, but here's something interesting:

https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/s ... cher-says/
Micah 6:8

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Northeastern U: Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used

Post by Vol Texan »

It was a good read. It's also interesting to see where the takes this. The data is the data, and is open to interpretation, but at the end, he exposes some of his personal bias.
He called the suggestion to arm teachers “absurd” and “over the top.”“I’m not a big fan of making schools look like fortresses, because they send a message to kids that the bad guy is coming for you—if we’re surrounding you with security, you must have a bull’s-eye on your back,” Fox said. “That can actually instill fear, not relieve it.”
I respect that he didn't let his own personal bias color his data - instead he presented the results as-is. I wonder how much of this quote is wishful thinking on the behalf of the article writers vs. something that he voluntarily surmised himself.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”