Deerfield Illinois

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#16

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 pm

kayt00 wrote:Unfortunately they seem to have covered all the bases with that poor excuse for a "law". I could see something similar coming down the pipe if O'Rourke beats Cruz here at home.
If that happens, I'm going to Wyoming where people still believe in the 2A.
Image
NRA Member


Topic author
kayt00
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: DFW Area

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#17

Post by kayt00 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:Unfortunately they seem to have covered all the bases with that poor excuse for a "law". I could see something similar coming down the pipe if O'Rourke beats Cruz here at home.
If that happens, I'm going to Wyoming where people still believe in the 2A.
I've worked in Wyoming, beautiful country but me and -20F don't get along. When the diesel fuel and oil in the rig gel and solidify and the only way to get it started is with the careful use of a poorly burning weed burner it's time to head south. LOL
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#18

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 pm

kayt00 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:Unfortunately they seem to have covered all the bases with that poor excuse for a "law". I could see something similar coming down the pipe if O'Rourke beats Cruz here at home.
If that happens, I'm going to Wyoming where people still believe in the 2A.
I've worked in Wyoming, beautiful country but me and -20F don't get along. When the diesel fuel and oil in the rig gel and solidify and the only way to get it started is with the careful use of a poorly burning weed burner it's time to head south. LOL
man I LOVE cold weather. Living in texas my whole life (born and raised), I could definitely get used to cooler temps. -20 might be a bit much but at least I wouldnt be sweating to death and trying to breathe in 80% humidity 108 degree weather like here in texas. lol. :mrgreen:
Image
NRA Member


Topic author
kayt00
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: DFW Area

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#19

Post by kayt00 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 pm

Good point, guess it's time to start looking of that "summer home". High desert of Wyoming gets pretty damn hot though...but it's a dry heat. :roll: :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#20

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:24 pm

kayt00 wrote:Good point, guess it's time to start looking of that "summer home". High desert of Wyoming gets pretty damn hot though...but it's a dry heat. :roll: :lol:
haha. right
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6160
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#21

Post by Pawpaw » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 am

Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:Unfortunately they seem to have covered all the bases with that poor excuse for a "law". I could see something similar coming down the pipe if O'Rourke beats Cruz here at home.
If that happens, I'm going to Wyoming where people still believe in the 2A.
I've worked in Wyoming, beautiful country but me and -20F don't get along. When the diesel fuel and oil in the rig gel and solidify and the only way to get it started is with the careful use of a poorly burning weed burner it's time to head south. LOL
man I LOVE cold weather. Living in texas my whole life (born and raised), I could definitely get used to cooler temps. -20 might be a bit much but at least I wouldnt be sweating to death and trying to breathe in 80% humidity 108 degree weather like here in texas. lol. :mrgreen:
I've experienced every temperature from +125 down to -60. Heat is miserable, but cold is painful. You can have it.

I spent a year 150 miles inside the Arctic Circle. When the temp finally got up to zero, we went outside in T-shirts and threw Frisbees. I will never subject myself to those bitter cold temps again.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#22

Post by Grundy1133 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:05 am

Pawpaw wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:Unfortunately they seem to have covered all the bases with that poor excuse for a "law". I could see something similar coming down the pipe if O'Rourke beats Cruz here at home.
If that happens, I'm going to Wyoming where people still believe in the 2A.
I've worked in Wyoming, beautiful country but me and -20F don't get along. When the diesel fuel and oil in the rig gel and solidify and the only way to get it started is with the careful use of a poorly burning weed burner it's time to head south. LOL
man I LOVE cold weather. Living in texas my whole life (born and raised), I could definitely get used to cooler temps. -20 might be a bit much but at least I wouldnt be sweating to death and trying to breathe in 80% humidity 108 degree weather like here in texas. lol. :mrgreen:
I've experienced every temperature from +125 down to -60. Heat is miserable, but cold is painful. You can have it.

I spent a year 150 miles inside the Arctic Circle. When the temp finally got up to zero, we went outside in T-shirts and threw Frisbees. I will never subject myself to those bitter cold temps again.
my mentality is you can always add more clothes... but you can only take off so many until people start calling the cops. "rlol"
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17983
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#23

Post by Keith B » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:24 pm

This is going to last about as long as it takes for someone to file a complaint with the state AG. They have preemption on the law
(430 ILCS 65/13.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.1)
Sec. 13.1. Preemption.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in the Firearm Concealed
Carry Act and subsections (b) and (c) of this Section, the The
provisions of any ordinance enacted by any municipality which
requires registration or imposes greater restrictions or
limitations on the acquisition, possession and transfer of
firearms than are imposed by this Act, are not invalidated or
affected by this Act.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the
regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of
handguns and ammunition for a handgun, and the transportation
of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm
Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State
Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of
this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that
ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective
date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that
purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a
valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the
Department of State Police under this Act in a manner that is
inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this
amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid
in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's
Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police
under this Act.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the
regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons
are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance
or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, that
purports to regulate the possession or ownership of assault
weapons in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, shall
be invalid unless the ordinance or regulation is enacted on,
before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this
amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly. Any ordinance or
regulation described in this subsection (c) enacted more than
10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the
98th General Assembly is invalid. An ordinance enacted on,
before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this
amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly may be amended. The
enactment or amendment of ordinances under this subsection (c)
are subject to the submission requirements of Section 13.3. For
the purposes of this subsection, "assault weapons" means
firearms designated by either make or model or by a test or
list of cosmetic features that cumulatively would place the
firearm into a definition of "assault weapon" under the
ordinance.

(d) For the purposes of this Section, "handgun" has the
meaning ascribed to it in Section 5 of the Firearm Concealed
Carry Act.
(e) This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule
powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of
Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
(Source: P.A. 76-1939.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#24

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:46 pm

canvasbck wrote:A group of us had a discussion the other night after our weekly match about where our line in the sand is.

The consensus was that when the items I purchased in good faith and without malicious intent are deemed illegal, the civil disobedience will begin. When "they" attempt to confiscate those same items, civil unrest will begin.

Folks in Deerfield, it's time for civil disobedience.
Exactly THIS ^^^ .....and I have drawn the same line in the sand.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3315
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#25

Post by chasfm11 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Keith B wrote:This is going to last about as long as it takes for someone to file a complaint with the state AG. They have preemption on the law

]
I'm not so sure. The AG is Lisa Madigan. She is a Democrat. Her Step-father Michael, also a Democrat, has been Speaker of the Illinois House since 1997. He would have been present during the Federal lawsuits against Illinois that resulted in them finally becoming "Shall Issue." If I remember correctly, there were numerous attempts, obviously lead by key politicians to not follow the Federal requirements. My sssumption is that the AG's step-father had a role in all of that. My expectation is that, at best, she is going to "slow-walk" whatever response there will be. The worst case is that no action will be taken on the filing. I hope that I'm wrong.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17983
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#26

Post by Keith B » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 pm

chasfm11 wrote:
Keith B wrote:This is going to last about as long as it takes for someone to file a complaint with the state AG. They have preemption on the law

]
I'm not so sure. The AG is Lisa Madigan. She is a Democrat. Her Step-father Michael, also a Democrat, has been Speaker of the Illinois House since 1997. He would have been present during the Federal lawsuits against Illinois that resulted in them finally becoming "Shall Issue." If I remember correctly, there were numerous attempts, obviously lead by key politicians to not follow the Federal requirements. My sssumption is that the AG's step-father had a role in all of that. My expectation is that, at best, she is going to "slow-walk" whatever response there will be. The worst case is that no action will be taken on the filing. I hope that I'm wrong.
You have a point that she may drag her feet or make the courts decide it. No matter, the city better take heed to the preemption law or they are in for a rude awakening when they get sued into bankruptcy
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6160
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#27

Post by Pawpaw » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 pm

chasfm11 wrote:
Keith B wrote:This is going to last about as long as it takes for someone to file a complaint with the state AG. They have preemption on the law

]
I'm not so sure. The AG is Lisa Madigan. She is a Democrat. Her Step-father Michael, also a Democrat, has been Speaker of the Illinois House since 1997. He would have been present during the Federal lawsuits against Illinois that resulted in them finally becoming "Shall Issue." If I remember correctly, there were numerous attempts, obviously lead by key politicians to not follow the Federal requirements. My sssumption is that the AG's step-father had a role in all of that. My expectation is that, at best, she is going to "slow-walk" whatever response there will be. The worst case is that no action will be taken on the filing. I hope that I'm wrong.
BREAKING: NRA Supporting Guns Save Life’s Lawsuit Against Deerfield Assault Weapons Ban

NRA-ILA news release: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018040 ... is-lawsuit
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9963
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#28

Post by AndyC » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm

From SAF:
A circuit court judge in Lake County, Illinois has granted an injunction against the Chicago suburb of Deerfield, blocking the village from enforcing a ban on so-called “assault weapons,” and handing a victory to the Second Amendment Foundation.
https://mailchi.mp/saf/saf-wins-lawsuit ... 2bb897c456
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#29

Post by KLB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Here's a discussion of the claims and the court's ruling:
http://reason.com/volokh/2018/06/13/dee ... cation-law

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Deerfield Illinois

#30

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Reid Henrichs of the Valor Ridge YouTube channel had a message specifically aimed at the LEOs of Deerfield. I can’t post the video here because it has one or two cuss words in it, but in that message he urges all LEOs to arrest all politicians who pass any kind of confiscatory gun laws. He didn’t suggest what he thought those LEOs should do with the politicians they arrest, but I think the subtext was clear. Treason is treason, and traitors deserve a traitor’s fate.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”