Teachers to be armed with bats

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Topic author
Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1103
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Teachers to be armed with bats

#1

Post by Lynyrd » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/11/pe ... eport.html
A Pennsylvania school district said it will arm 500 school teachers with baseball bats in response to the Parkland, Fla., school shooting, Erie News Now reported.
Hall said the district — which sits on the Lake Erie coast, conducted an online survey to gauge feeling on arming teachers in the classroom. He told the paper that “70 percent to 30 percent” would favor the move, but the district is “not really actively planning that right now.”
70 to 30 percent favor arming teachers? I have never seen anyone quote a poll with such a wide range. And they want teachers to bring bats to a gunfight. You can't make this up! Truth is stranger than fiction. :banghead:
Do what you say you're gonna do.


kayt00
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: DFW Area

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#2

Post by kayt00 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 am

Teachers get bat's and students get rocks, let the games begin.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#3

Post by jason812 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 am

I read that as 70% approve, 30% disapprove and it's possible they were slightly ambiguous in their reporting because if 70% of the teachers want to be armed, that doesn't fit the narrative.

User avatar

Topic author
Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1103
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#4

Post by Lynyrd » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:55 am

jason812 wrote:I read that as 70% approve, 30% disapprove and it's possible they were slightly ambiguous in their reporting because if 70% of the teachers want to be armed, that doesn't fit the narrative.
Perhaps you are right on the quote. I guess it was poorly worded. Either way, they need a new superintendent and some sanity on the school board.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#5

Post by jb2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 am

Although a gun is much more efficient in the situation of an active shooter, and I'd like for teachers to have the option to be armed, at least this is maybe the first step in the right direction?

Just trying to see some positive here

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6038
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#6

Post by Pawpaw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 am

The Millcreek School district organized a training day on how to respond to a potential shooting and the 16-inch bats were handed out to each teacher, the report said. The district paid $1,800 for the bats.

William Hall, the district’s superintendent, told the paper that the bats were primarily symbolic, but a “last resort,” and “an option and something we want people to be aware of.”
Symbolic indeed. These aren't even real baseball bats. They're toys.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#7

Post by TreyHouston » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 am

Pawpaw wrote:
The Millcreek School district organized a training day on how to respond to a potential shooting and the 16-inch bats were handed out to each teacher, the report said. The district paid $1,800 for the bats.

William Hall, the district’s superintendent, told the paper that the bats were primarily symbolic, but a “last resort,” and “an option and something we want people to be aware of.”
Symbolic indeed. These aren't even real baseball bats. They're toys.
Why not just give the teachers those little bats you can buy at baseball games? Then, no one would accidentally get hurt IF the bat suddenly starts swinging!

Better yet, give the teachers “finger waving” classes. And they need to use the words “now, cut it out” :nono:

Pawpaw, whats wrong with a $3.50 16inch bat? Im sure it is quality and will not shatter into pieces first object it hits! :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2830
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#8

Post by rotor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Wouldn't this be classified as an illegal weapon in Texas?


wheelgun1958
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: Rural Ellis Co. TX

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#9

Post by wheelgun1958 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm

rotor wrote:Wouldn't this be classified as an illegal weapon in Texas?
It's a tire thumper!

http://pmburgess.blogspot.com/2007/10/u ... r.html?m=1

:thewave

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#10

Post by JustSomeOldGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:48 pm

kayt00 wrote:Teachers get bat's and students get rocks, let the games begin.
caveman baseball intramural competitions pending? :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4224
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#11

Post by RPBrown » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm

wheelgun1958 wrote:
rotor wrote:Wouldn't this be classified as an illegal weapon in Texas?
It's a tire thumper!

http://pmburgess.blogspot.com/2007/10/u ... r.html?m=1

:thewave
Nah, even tire thumpers are 18" long
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#12

Post by Abraham » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm

The absurdity...you get to shoot me outlaw...but, I have to remain a second class self defense victim...?

Or, how about this: You (whoever you may be...) get to be a 21st century, highly technical violent criminal, but I have to remain a medieval class self defense victim...?

Nah, not me.

Come after me to do harm to me and mine when I've/we've done nothing wrong to justify your violence towards us?

I too will remain remain high tech at your peril...

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6038
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#13

Post by Pawpaw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm

TreyHouston wrote:Pawpaw, whats wrong with a $3.50 16inch bat? Im sure it is quality and will not shatter into pieces first object it hits! :biggrinjester:
Not a thing... as long as you're only hitting Nerf balls.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Take Down Sicko
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 632
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:01 pm
Location: Houston Tx
Contact:

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#14

Post by Take Down Sicko » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Why dont they use mops. That way they could keep the school clean.

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8295
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Teachers to be armed with bats

#15

Post by mojo84 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 am


Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”