Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jar
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

Post by jar »

As a long term Republican, gun owner and LTC holder I will be voting for Beto this election.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 36

Post by bblhd672 »

jar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am As a long term Republican, gun owner and LTC holder I will be voting for Beto this election.
Hopefully your post is sarcasm
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84
Posts in topic: 32

Post by mojo84 »

jar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am As a long term Republican, gun owner and LTC holder I will be voting for Beto this election.
Care to explain your reasoning?

I would like to hear what policy positions Beto holds that are attractive to you.
Last edited by mojo84 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Abraham »

jar, thanks for the belly laugh!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 33

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mojo84 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am
Care to explain your reasoning?

I would like to hear what policy positions Beto holds that are attractive to you.
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you can explain that choice in a rational manner. Mind you, I realize that you don’t OWE anybody an explanation, but I have the same kind of morbid curiosity as I have about looking at tumors and wondering what makes them tick. I don’t mean that you’re a tumor, but I also can’t understand why a rational person would fall for that grifter from El Paso.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jar

Post by jar »

My reasoning is pretty simple; I find the other choice dishonest, untrustworthy, unconnected to reality. I also firmly believe that we do need to regulate gun ownership more than is the current standard. Speaking just of the Texas LTC process I think both the written and proficiency tests were pretty much a joke and definitely need to be made far more difficult.

I also understand that political party has little to do with the issue of gun laws; after all it was Ronald Reagan who as Governor of California signed the law making the possession of a loaded fire arm in public illegal in California. In fact I was living there and a gun carrying Californian at the time.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Abraham »

...and another (not very stealthy one strolls in)...but I get to laugh out loud so it's not all bad.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I also firmly believe that we do need to regulate gun ownership more than is the current standard. Speaking just of the Texas LTC process I think both the written and proficiency tests were pretty much a joke and definitely need to be made far more difficult.
You and I will have to agree to disagree where regulating gun ownership is concerned. The Texas LTC standards for the written and proficiency tests are, in my opinion, bare minimum standards and are not designed to limit concealed carry unnecessarily, which I think is in the spirit of "shall issue". Since LTC holders are demonstrably law-abiding, with far lower incidence of criminal activity than your "average" citizen, what purpose would further limiting concealed carry by licensed persons serve (I get the CONTROL part of gun control, but what else)?
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

dlh
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dlh »

Latest poll has Cruz leading O'Rourke 54 to 45 percent with one percent undecided. I predict come election time the Cruz margin of victory will be even higher but ya never know. I think Beto could get elected in California or New York--but he ain't gonna fly here in Texas.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 33

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am My reasoning is pretty simple; I find the other choice dishonest, untrustworthy, unconnected to reality. I also firmly believe that we do need to regulate gun ownership more than is the current standard. Speaking just of the Texas LTC process I think both the written and proficiency tests were pretty much a joke and definitely need to be made far more difficult.

I also understand that political party has little to do with the issue of gun laws; after all it was Ronald Reagan who as Governor of California signed the law making the possession of a loaded fire arm in public illegal in California. In fact I was living there and a gun carrying Californian at the time.
Thanks for the answer. I lived in California under Ronaldus Maximus’s governorship. Yes, he signed a bill into law that was a mistake. He also signed the Lautenburg Amendment into law ... another mistake. He was a better president than some, but he was a flawed human.... as we are all flawed. Let’s just say that I am WAY more libertarian than you are on matters of gun control, and I strongly disagree with everything you’ve said above. One thing I know for sure about O’Rourke, because I’ve heard him say it on video, is that if he had his way, 6 of the rifles in my safe, 5 of the rifles in my son’s safe (we all live under one roof), and probably all 4 of our suppressors would be illegal for us to own. .....and not one single one of my firearms, my son’s firearms, or any of our suppressors has ever been used in a crime. For THAT reason alone, if he’s elected I’ll double my investment in AR/AK pattern rifles and ammunition for them, and my donations to the NRA. Because when the time comes to face banning those kinds of firearms, that will be the time to use them for something other than hunting 4 legged critters or target shooting — to use them for the exact reason for which we have a 2nd Amendment.

That said, one of the beauties of this country is that you have every right to be wrong. Fortunately, the Constitution’s defense of my rights protects me from your folly - up to a point. Beyond that point, it will be the 2nd Amendment that protects me from that kind of folly :mrgreen:

Thanks again for answering honestly, but I can see that we have nothing in common.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

Beto is a spoiled rich kid who had had crooks for parents.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 36

Post by bblhd672 »

jar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am My reasoning is pretty simple; I find the other choice dishonest, untrustworthy, unconnected to reality. I also firmly believe that we do need to regulate gun ownership more than is the current standard. Speaking just of the Texas LTC process I think both the written and proficiency tests were pretty much a joke and definitely need to be made far more difficult.

Some would say that your claims to be "a long term Republican, gun owner and LTC holder" makes you a liar based upon your stated beliefs. Perhaps its the almost standard "I'm a gun owner, but" leftist talking points that would cause someone to think you are nothing but a troll.

Not me, of course, I totally believe you are "a long term Republican, gun owner and LTC holder" who has no connection to Everytown, Moms or Soros.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

jar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am ...I also firmly believe that we do need to regulate gun ownership more than is the current standard.
The devil is always in the details. What additional gun regulatory measures do you want to see?
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Jusme »

I am curious, as to what "regulations" you feel will benefit, the country as a whole. You already mentioned, that RR, helped outlaw carrying loaded guns in public, but can you claim, that this regulation, prevented a single crime?

Additionally, what issues, have you seen, that making it more difficult to obtain, a LTC, would prevent?

Perhaps you can expand upon, your claim that Ted Cruz, is dishonest? Untrustworthy? Or unconnected from reality.

I don't think he is in favor of single payer health care (socialized medicine)
He is not in favor of eliminating, a law enforcement group, that has proven it's worth in protecting American citizens.
He is not in favor or open borders, so that we can become like western Europe.

I also, know, that Ted Cruz, has never once tried to restrict, my Second Amendment rights. In fact, he has voted against any legislation, that would do that.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

jar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am I find the other choice dishonest, untrustworthy, unconnected to reality.
I find Cruz fairly consistent in his past stances in defense of the Bill of Rights. He is somewhat of a bulldog in that regard. Bulldogs aren't pretty. Cruz is not handsome, nor cool, nor particularly likeable. But that's not what I want in a senator. I want a senator who will preserve constitutional rights and contain the regulatory State (which puts me in opposition to quite a number of Beto's stated positions on economic, jobs, and energy issues).

Beto is handsome, and acts cool, nice, and caring. I would think the Obama Administration would disabuse anybody of the merits of being a handsome, cool, nice and caring government official.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”