Former chief of the Texas Rangers thinks 2A is about hunting

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Former chief of the Texas Rangers thinks 2A is about hunting

Post by The Annoyed Man »

spectre wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:30 pm
Tony Leal wrote:I know the important role legal firearms play in our society, but I’ve also been there for scenes like we all saw following the recent killings at Santa Fe High School.
Tony Leal wrote:Our laws reasonably agree that you are free to own a pistol to protect your home, and a rifle and shotgun to hunt. I’m saying we need changes to the law that would prevent unqualified people from having access to military-grade weapons designed for killing multiple adversaries in combat.

I thought Dimitrios Pagourtzis used a shotgun to kill those people at Santa Fe High School.
You can tell that to this former LEO all you want, and he’ll tell you it doesn’t matter. In fact, the news orgs are not beating the drum as long or as hard in the wake of the Santa Fe shooting exactly because it didn’t involve an evil black rifle. You could also tell this guy that his Mauser action bolt action hunting rifle was originally a military grade rifle designed for killing multiple adversaries in combat. Does that mean you shouldn’t have a bolt action rifle either?

It’s a specious distinction, and not to be taken seriously.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:01 pm
spectre wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:30 pm
Tony Leal wrote:I know the important role legal firearms play in our society, but I’ve also been there for scenes like we all saw following the recent killings at Santa Fe High School.
Tony Leal wrote:Our laws reasonably agree that you are free to own a pistol to protect your home, and a rifle and shotgun to hunt. I’m saying we need changes to the law that would prevent unqualified people from having access to military-grade weapons designed for killing multiple adversaries in combat.

I thought Dimitrios Pagourtzis used a shotgun to kill those people at Santa Fe High School.
You can tell that to this former LEO all you want, and he’ll tell you it doesn’t matter. In fact, the news orgs are not beating the drum as long or as hard in the wake of the Santa Fe shooting exactly because it didn’t involve an evil black rifle. You could also tell this guy that his Mauser action bolt action hunting rifle was originally a military grade rifle designed for killing multiple adversaries in combat. Does that mean you shouldn’t have a bolt action rifle either?

It’s a specious distinction, and not to be taken seriously.
JFK killed with a bolt action rifle too (or at least that's what they said).

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

I know a Ranger who "retired" a few years ago, headed to a better job. He said they were being over-managed, and the prestige was disappearing. One can imagine a hundred reasons why the top level would want this to happen.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:17 pm
I was at the scene during the shootout and fire in Waco that killed nearly 80 people.
Oh.... now THERE’S a ringing endorsement for his world view. :roll:

I wonder where he would have stood if Ruby Ridge had been in Texas.
Yeah, I got to that part and thought to myself... what kind of person would even admit to being part of that debacle???

I have heard honest peace officers say that Waco was the worst event in US Law Enforcement history... and Mr. Leal is not only proud of being there, he says it was a reason that convinced him we need more gun control???

Either Mr. Leal does not understand Madison's brilliance... or he understands Madison's brilliance very well and wants to remove the last vestiges of the forefather's insurmountable "barrier against the enterprises of ambition"
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

TEX

Post by TEX »

The title is incorrect. It does not seem to me that he is saying the 2nd applies only for hunting. It seems like he is saying that the weaponry available now far more deadly. I agree in my heart to a lot of what he is saying in that I want very much to keep high end weapons out of the hands of people with evil intent and that having a requirement for a license to have such weapons would possibly be helpful. That being said, the fly in the ointment is - who would decide who could have those more dangerous weapons and what weapons. If progressives/liberals/democrats were the one to make that decision, then no one would qualify. That is the problem, and smart people understand that, even if they could see that stricter guidelines might help with the problem. once the camels nose is in the tent, we woudl be lucky to be allowed BB rifles. So it goes. I would be in favor of something that would give people an incentive to go through more extensive background checks, more training, etc. but it not be mandatory - perhaps with such an advanced license you would be exempt from sales tax on firearms, ammunition, training, etc. and be allowed to carry anywhere a Peace Officer could carry. Even if it meant a slightly higher cost for that license, I think many would take that route. I understand that the 2nd Amendment should be all you need to arm yourself, but the problem is that now young people are not, for many, being raised by knowledgeable and responsible gun owners. What they know, or think they know, about firearms and the responsibility in owning them is derived from movies and TV - 98% of which is wrong. If you look deep into the type of mass shootings that have been going on you will find three common denominators - unchecked bullying, psychotropic drugs, political correctness, and routine exposure to make believe violence in games, TV and movies. I don't wish to age myself but when I went to high school, there were at lease a dozen vehicles in the parking lot that had shotguns and/or deer rifles in gun rack on rear pickup windows, but no one thought using these weapons on other people was the way to solve a problem.

That being said, I believe evil will commit evil. If a jacked up student wants to commit murder they only have to wait until school lets out and then run over several hundred with a vehicle - no firearm required (high capacity or other wise). A shotgun with 00 buck would be more lethal than an AR with a 30 round magazine (6 rounds times 12 pellets equal seventy-two 33 caliber projectiles at pistol magnum speeds in less time than it takes to empty a 30 round magazine. The difference is societal not armament.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Our mental health system stopped trying to protect us from people who are not well. Our criminal justice system is preoccupied with prosecuting drug use. There are a lot of people on the street who need to be locked away.

Working in the TDC hospital, I was never afraid or worried about the guys who were there for slinging dope. Others were just borderline mentally delayed or FAS or just schizophrenic and picked the only career that would take them. The guys who looked normal were usually child molesters. But some of them were just not okay. They were clearly not able to separate normal social interactions from violence. Many didn't try to hide it. I still very clearly recall that people like that absolutely have to be in jail. They were never okay.

I read about Elliott Roger, and a friend of the family described him as "broken from conception". We saw a similar pattern with Adam Lanza, Nikolas Cruz, and Eric Harris, of failure coupled with malignant narcissism. These people weren't the product of their peers bullying them (which is a real but separate problem). They would use people if they were successful and will kill them in retaliation if not. These people cannot be free. Taking away their access to firearms is important, but it is not nearly enough.

Malignant narcissism is not even a diagnosis under ICD10 or DSMV.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TEX wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 am The title is incorrect. It does not seem to me that he is saying the 2nd applies only for hunting. It seems like he is saying that the weaponry available now far more deadly. I agree in my heart to a lot of what he is saying in that I want very much to keep high end weapons out of the hands of people with evil intent and that having a requirement for a license to have such weapons would possibly be helpful. That being said, the fly in the ointment is - who would decide who could have those more dangerous weapons and what weapons. If progressives/liberals/democrats were the one to make that decision, then no one would qualify. That is the problem, and smart people understand that, even if they could see that stricter guidelines might help with the problem. once the camels nose is in the tent, we woudl be lucky to be allowed BB rifles. So it goes.
I don't buy into this high end weapon stuff. I could make the case that any of my semiautos or my bolt action .308 could be deadlier than a typical AR-15.
-15. Last night I heard on Fox News this reporter speaking of the ammo in the Las Vegas shooting as high powered rifle rounds. The goal of these people is to take them all away from the peasant class, The AR and similar guns are targets simply because of their looks. They look scary, the fact that they aren't commonly used in crimes, are low powered and easy to use for older folks and smaller woman. never seems to be recognized by the media. We choose the AR15 not because it is so High end, but because it's inexpensive and affordable.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

NNT

Post by NNT »

I own 3 military weapons-

1898 30-40 Krag
1931 Mosin

Do bullets feel differently out of those?

NNT

Post by NNT »

Duplicate

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I am shocked by what I read! He left of Center of 90% of the LEO'S I known over my 52 years!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

A one time buddy of mine was an LEO (detective, later a Game Warden) and is way left.

He doesn't even own a gun, thinks the government should provide him money so he can pursue his art.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Most LEO's (I think) are Conservative, but not all...my old pal, who quit speaking to me because I'm a Conservative who laughed when he told me of his desire for a government stipend are I think not just quirky, but out and out crazy.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Your 90% may be good for Texas but....

Somebody is enforcing the California gun laws.

Somebody is enforcing the NYC gun laws.

Somebody....
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ninjabread wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 pm Your 90% may be good for Texas but....

Somebody is enforcing the California gun laws.

Somebody is enforcing the NYC gun laws.

Somebody....
They are just following orders. :roll:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Abraham wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 am A one time buddy of mine was an LEO (detective, later a Game Warden) and is way left.

He doesn't even own a gun, thinks the government should provide him money so he can pursue his art.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Most LEO's (I think) are Conservative, but not all...my old pal, who quit speaking to me because I'm a Conservative who laughed when he told me of his desire for a government stipend are I think not just quirky, but out and out crazy.
On the presumption it may be illuminating; what's "his art"? Watercolor? Weaving? Free verse? Performance artist? :headscratch
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Both oil and water painting, some sculpture and he's had four books published. One's being optioned for a movie.

He actually is an artist and a good one, but is also very left.

I was castigating Obama when he was President and didn't realize my friend was a lefty. We'd lost touch for many years...

After my rant about Obama he quickly told me he really like the guy and expounded his personal leftist views like he should be tax supported so he can continue with his art. Right about then we quit being buds.

Sorry, but I won't have friends who're commies.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”