School teacher quiz

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 4

School teacher quiz

Post by rotor »

My local paper had an editorial today that claims that teacher's organizations shows that the majority of teachers oppose carry.

Multiple choice for teachers. Only one correct answer.

You are walking down the hallway at school with 4 students at your side when suddenly an armed individual is facing you with a firearm. He shoots one of the students at your side. What do you do?

A: Turn and run.
B: Charge the person doing the shooting.
C: Pull your gun and shoot the person doing the shooting.
D: Stand erect and pray.
E: Pull a student in front of you as a shield.

If it were me C: would be the right answer. From the major teacher organizations I guess D: is the right answer.

To be honest, the teachers that I know (all are female) have no knowledge of guns, would not know how to use one and even at the threat of loss of life would not shoot the bad guy. I don't know any male ex-marine type teachers where I am sure they would not hesitate to save their flock.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: School teacher quiz

Post by Abraham »

I guess I would volunteer to teach them.

I was a Drill Sergeant in the Army. Though I wouldn't act like one, I've been married so long, that D.S. attitude is gone...mostly.

Passed up OCS and The Green Berets, yeah I was recruited by both, but couldn't/didn't want to spend the extra time it would take...

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Teachers' ORGANIZATIONS is the key. Just like other organizations that really are only there for collective bargaining (union in action if not in name), this stance by Teachers' organizations is exactly what I would expect, and it has absolutely zero relevance for formulating public policy. Poll teachers with questions like you posted, and I am sure the teachers themselves will give you a different answer -- particularly those with any familiarity with firearms.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I would agree that the majority of teachers oppose armed teachers. It's not as wide a gap as we are led to believe but carrying is a minority opinion in ed world.

I sat on a committee for 8 colleges to help form the rules last year and I've worked for two major school districts.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

rotor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm My local paper had an editorial today that claims that teacher's organizations shows that the majority of teachers oppose carry.

To be honest, the teachers that I know (all are female) have no knowledge of guns, would not know how to use one and even at the threat of loss of life would not shoot the bad guy. I don't know any male ex-marine type teachers where I am sure they would not hesitate to save their flock.
The majority probably do... the good news is that only we only need a minority of the minority to actually carry to have a substantial and effective force. 10% would be great.

As for teaching them, I've seen some scary timid people go through the police academy and come out officers. And I've seen some real losers go through basic and come out fine young men and women. Anyone with the desire can be taught to be competent.

No one wants to force it on teachers.... we only want those who WANT TO CARRY, to be trained and allowed to carry.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ahh, c'mon. You know it can't be D. No praying allowed. :grumble

Gotta be A.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

C-dub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:07 pm Ahh, c'mon. You know it can't be D. No praying allowed. :grumble

Gotta be A.
My grandson goes to a private religious school. Could be prayer.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

flechero wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm
The majority probably do... the good news is that only we only need a minority of the minority to actually carry to have a substantial and effective force. 10% would be great.

As for teaching them, I've seen some scary timid people go through the police academy and come out officers. And I've seen some real losers go through basic and come out fine young men and women. Anyone with the desire can be taught to be competent.

No one wants to force it on teachers.... we only want those who WANT TO CARRY, to be trained and allowed to carry.
Unfortunately, those who don't want to carry themselves, don't want any other teachers to be armed either. And many of those would bar armed police officers from the school as well. Please let me explain.

I live near Argyle ISD. From the time that Argyle implemented their armed teacher policy, we have been trying to get other surrounding districts to at least consider a similar program. Some of the local teachers in those other districts and a small number of parents have decreed the equivalent of "cold dead hands" about armed anyone in their schools. Many of them consider anyone who would volunteer to carry automatically untrustworthy to do so, just because they did volunteer. We have had some protracted social media "debates" about the specifics (that we know about) of the Argyle approach. "They" don't want to understand anything about it. We brought up the value of frangible ammo, instant availability of a response, no more GFZ signs creating a target of the school. The answer is no guns period. Several of them would willingly allow gun confiscation on a large scale from the general population and would relish shooting anyone who resisted. The irony/hypocrisy of the last part is totally lost on them.

Unless and until we remove the administrations who are either spineless or completely sympathetic to the GFZ concept, nothing is going to happen. Unfortunately for us, the chiefs of police of all the major cities within the jurisdiction of those districts have also nixed the idea of armed teachers, further adding fuel to opposition.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

I thought the whole point of the Bill of Rights is to prevent those rights from falling victim to tyranny of the majority.

Teachers must have been different back in the day.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

rotor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm My local paper had an editorial today that claims that teacher's organizations shows that the majority of teachers oppose carry.

You are walking down the hallway at school with 4 students at your side when suddenly an armed individual is facing you with a firearm. He shoots one of the students at your side. What do you do?

If it were me C: would be the right answer. From the major teacher organizations I guess D: is the right answer.

Umm..... WHAT?! If someone has a gun in my face and they just shot someone next to me... the correct answer is C. And if you choose any other answer, I hope you're ready and willing to meet your maker because that will more than likely be the outcome...
NRA Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

rotor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:23 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:07 pm Ahh, c'mon. You know it can't be D. No praying allowed. :grumble

Gotta be A.
My grandson goes to a private religious school. Could be prayer.
:thumbs2:
So did my daughter K-8. She’s finishing up her sophomore year in the public school this year.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Grundy1133 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Umm..... WHAT?! If someone has a gun in my face and they just shot someone next to me... the correct answer is C. And if you choose any other answer, I hope you're ready and willing to meet your maker because that will more than likely be the outcome...
The problem is that many will still choose A of D because they flat out can not comprehend what it takes to stop a person like that or are just unwilling and would rather die. It’s crazy!

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

C-dub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 pm

The problem is that many will still choose A of D because they flat out can not comprehend what it takes to stop a person like that or are just unwilling and would rather die. It’s crazy!
Yeah... completely crazy...
NRA Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

new idea?

Post by flechero »

Since the divide feels pretty evenly split, maybe we should try a split system. Schools with armed personnel and those with the current hide and hope mentality, within the same district. Let parents decide what they want... and in a few years (and after shootings continue at soft target schools) I bet that there will be no more demand for unarmed schools.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

My brother's girlfriend is a middle school teacher, she isn't opposed to carry but has definitely been looking for different door locking solutions for her classroom.

I start Monday as maintainence for a school district, will be on all campuses wherever/whenever needed I would love to be able to carry and wouldn't hesitate to stop a threat. Will be driving a district vehicle home so can't even keep one in my truck on campus.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”