Civil Immunity in Self Defense Cases

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Civil Immunity in Self Defense Cases

Post by Liberty »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:53 pm
Liberty wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:23 pm
OneGun wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:22 am So, what you're saying is that you beat the rap, but not the ride!
But the very rare ride should be short and pretty painless.
I would say 2 1/2 years of riding is NOT pretty painless...
viewtopic.php?p=1209528#p1209528
I was referring to the civil action, after being cleared in a criminal case.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philbo »

mr surveyor wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:38 pm Where would I find documentation of cases that involve civil immunity in self defense, justified, shootings? I still have friends pushing the idea of one losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in civil suits of justified self defense uses of firearms. Most of them are educated on the issue by the local gun shop guru types, but a couple of them are of the leo type.

I have a somewhat clear understanding of the statute law (somewhat), but I haven't found a Texas case that clearly involves the civil immunity clause.

Thanks for any help.

JD
You won't find many cases where the act of self defense was clean enough to result in a no bill from a criminal grand jury. The few I have dealt with either directly or indirectly with other attorneys were dismissed after a motion for summary judgment was filed.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Update:

The plaintiff who is suing the conservation officer, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, and the woman who defended the officer by killing his assailant, has filed to dismiss the lawsuit without prejudice. According to the link below this may be a tactical move and the plaintiff has until 20 Feb to refile the case, but for now it is good news.

https://www.gofundme.com/kystie039s-best-defense
(You need to click on the "Updates" link when you get to that GoFundMe page.)

Indiana Legislature is considering making some changes based on this case:
http://www.fox19.com/2019/01/30/propose ... g-officer/
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”