Man attacks teens in San antonio over MAGA hat

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Man attacks teens in San antonio over MAGA hat

Post by srothstein »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:49 am
DocV wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 pm Arrested. http://apps.bexar.org/cmagsearchlist/Li ... il=1937259
No assault charge? :banghead:
They probably will ignore the assault charge for two reasons. The first, and most likely, is that it is very common to drop class C cases when you have a felony. If you charge them separately, you can force two trials, one in municipal court and one in district court. This lets the defense have a free shot at the evidence and witnesses because they won't care about the guilty verdict on the assault if they can use it to beat the felony. If you keep them together (much more common), then the speedy trial act kicks in earlier and can rush the prosecution. They have removed the absolute limits on timing, but there is still a lot of case law and procedures based on the older rules. Going with the felony only lets the prosecution have more time, which is required in the more crowded district court.

The second reason is the one that bothers me the most. The assault means that he put the victim in fear of injury, which makes the theft a robbery. I wanted him charged with robbery, a second degree felony, and having now seen his record I would want it even more. It would be easier to argue the robbery from a defense standpoint since the liquid did not hurt the victim (as in actual pain) so it makes the case a little easier to defend. Prosecuting just the theft from a person charge makes the video a slam dunk case that almost any jury will convict on. I would be surprised if he doesn't bargain it down for a light or no sentence.

And while he does have an arrest record that has been posted, I don't know if he has any convictions yet. I have not been interested enough to search other than what is posted in this thread. If he had a drug conviction or that many DWI convictions, he was already a felon. I have no doubt he knows the system well and knows what he should plead out. If he beat all of the others, then I can agree with this charge as it is. It makes the case pretty concrete and should result in a felony conviction.
Steve Rothstein

dlh
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dlh »

if memory serves theft from a person used to be a state jail felony (180 to 730 day punishment range). Don't know if the legislature changed that or not.

Wonder if there is anything in the defendant's criminal history that would allow the prosecutors to seek an enhancement of the punishment?

Will certainly keep track of this case. Will have to go through the grand jury if the case is gonna maintain its felony status unless they do some kinda pre-indictment plea-bargain for a reduced charge.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bigtek »

If he takes deferred adjudication can he get a TX LTC in 10 years? :biggrinjester:
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TreyHouston »

bigtek wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:18 pm If he takes deferred adjudication can he get a TX LTC in 10 years? :biggrinjester:
He will have AT LEAST, 2 more DUIs before the tem years are up! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ELB
Posts in topic: 11

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:47 pm
And while he does have an arrest record that has been posted, I don't know if he has any convictions yet.

I have read elsewhere that the burglary charges were dropped when the victim did not show up in court to testify. Don’t know about the DWI charges.
USAF 1982-2005

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Killadocg23 »

ELB wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm
And while he does have an arrest record that has been posted, I don't know if he has any convictions yet.

I have read elsewhere that the burglary charges were dropped when the victim did not show up in court to testify. Don’t know about the DWI charges.

Victims didn’t show up because they were saying racist stuff to this man. Hence theybdidnt want to press charges either.

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Killadocg23 »

This thread should read Man attacks teens in San Antonio over Racist remarks

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 16

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Yeah right. Those two skinny little teenagers were calling out a big old fat thug looking dude? Then these same two skinny kids were afraid to do anything when the fat thug assaulted them? Let's try to stick to the facts here.

The race rumor has already been debunked. The last time you posted it. ;-)

https://www.ksat.com/news/fact-check-he ... t-incident
Did anyone witness the incident?
While a local news outlet reported that a witness said the victim and his two friends were making racist remarks before the incident, the San Antonio Police Department said Friday that it has no record of that occurring.

A spokesman for the Police Department said that, while someone may have told the news outlet that they supposedly heard the group make racist remarks, that information was not reported to police.

Only two witnesses -- the 16-year-old victim's friends -- are mentioned in the affidavit as witnesses to the incident.

The news outlet has since redacted quotes from the anonymous witness, stating it had "concerns about the legitimacy of the statements." Still, old screenshots of the story are being shared online.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm This thread should read Man attacks teens in San Antonio over Racist remarks
Please quote this source that has nor been retracted from a legitimate news source. I would like to hear :bigear:

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

TreyHouston wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm This thread should read Man attacks teens in San Antonio over Racist remarks
Please quote this source that has nor been retracted from a legitimate news source. I would like to hear :bigear:
While a local news outlet reported that a witness said the victim and his two friends were making racist remarks before the incident, the San Antonio Police Department said Friday that it has no record of that occurring.

A spokesman for the Police Department said that, while someone may have told the news outlet that they supposedly heard the group make racist remarks, that information was not reported to police.

Only two witnesses -- the 16-year-old victim's friends -- are mentioned in the affidavit as witnesses to the incident.

The news outlet has since redacted quotes from the anonymous witness, stating it had "concerns about the legitimacy of the statements." Still, old screenshots of the story are being shared online.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:55 am

Maybe, just maybe, the news outlet (which is known to be liberal left) redacted the quotes because they may have been generated in the news outlet's own office! I will redact this if I have any concerns about the legitimacy of this statement.
*NOTE: This is my own printed thought and has not been endorsed by this forum or any members.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

twomillenium wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:55 am

Maybe, just maybe, the news outlet (which is known to be liberal left) redacted the quotes because they may have been generated in the news outlet's own office! I will redact this if I have any concerns about the legitimacy of this statement.
*NOTE: This is my own printed thought and has not been endorsed by this forum or any members.
I thought this as well. But who knows. It is unfortunate that the leftist media is feeding a long dead issue such as racism. Democrats need a way to divide the people so they can get votes from "victims", self infliction matters not to leftists.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:14 pm
ELB wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Victims didn’t show up because they were saying racist stuff to this man. Hence theybdidnt want to press charges either.
1. The burglary charge I refer to is not the theft/robbery of the hat, it is a separate event. As shown earlier in this thread Kino has in the past been charged with burglary. I have read in comments elsewhere that this was burglary of a vehicle and the victim did not show to testify. I haven’t found verification one way or the other.

2. As For the current incident, the allegations that the teens used racist remarks appeared rather conveniently, it seems to me. The News station that first reported on them quickly backtracked on that. I think they are properly relegated to the category of “fake news.”
USAF 1982-2005

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Teen bullied for wearing a MAGA hat speaks out

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

According to the teen, they were watching Pokemon videos on their phones. That sounds right.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I just saw a mug shot from his arrest. Time in the 24 hours between the soft on the arrest he shaved off his beard. Heh.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/07/kino-jim ... ataburger/
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”