Connecticut assault victim gets 18 months in jail for stabbing attacker

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Connecticut assault victim gets 18 months in jail for stabbing attacker

Post by Bitter Clinger »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/05/co ... acker.html

A Connecticut man who was assaulted by three juveniles while at work has been sentenced to prison for stabbing one of the attackers.
The Connecticut Post reports 21-year-old Jeffrey Sumpter of Bridgeport received 18 months in jail Monday at a Stamford courthouse.

The paper reported that Sumpter — who was convicted of felony first-degree assault — also will have to spend three years following his release on probation. If he breaks the law during that time, Sumpter could be made to serve all or part of a 42-month prison sentence.

Sumpter was working at a Dunkin’ Donuts in Norwalk last October when he was jumped by three males. During the assault, Sumpter stabbed one of them in the leg. “I was defending myself,” Sumpter said during the hearing.

Judge John Blawie told Sumpter that he believed his version of events, but had to follow the letter of the law.

Under Connecticut law, assault victims cannot use deadly force if they are able to retreat from their attackers. By contrast, 27 states — most notably Florida — have passed so-called “stand-your-ground” laws, which entitle citizens to use force in self-defense if there is a reasonable belief of a threat.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672

Re: Connecticut assault victim gets 18 months in jail for stabbing attacker

Post by bblhd672 »

He shouldn't have chased after the attackers once they left the establishment. Locking the doors and calling the police would be proper.
Last edited by bblhd672 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

Under Connecticut law, assault victims cannot use deadly force if they are able to retreat from their attackers.
Law or not; as a prosecutor, I would not prosecute that case.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

NNT
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NNT »

I know school fights are different, but right here in Texas you have to get punched twice and be in a corner before you can fight back. I told my son if he did nothing to provoke it, no one lands a punch on him, and if he defends himself and gets in trouble, I’ll take him out for ice cream. So far he has been able to avoid real fights well into high school. But he knows where the line is should it be needed.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

There are reports that the reason Sumpter was charged is because he did not retreat, he chased them and then stabbed one of them.

I could not copy and paste the link. This information puts a new angle on the story.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

OneGun wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:32 pm There are reports that the reason Sumpter was charged is because he did not retreat, he chased them and then stabbed one of them.

I could not copy and paste the link. This information puts a new angle on the story.
I read that too on a link, but just my opinion, if you're jumped by three guys and you chase one down and stab him you deserve a medal.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

That fine line between self defense and revenge.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

NNT wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 pm I know school fights are different, but right here in Texas you have to get punched twice and be in a corner before you can fight back. I told my son if he did nothing to provoke it, no one lands a punch on him, and if he defends himself and gets in trouble, I’ll take him out for ice cream. So far he has been able to avoid real fights well into high school. But he knows where the line is should it be needed.
Where the heck did that come from? Certainly not from Texas law.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

NNT wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 pm I know school fights are different, but right here in Texas you have to get punched twice and be in a corner before you can fight back. I told my son if he did nothing to provoke it, no one lands a punch on him, and if he defends himself and gets in trouble, I’ll take him out for ice cream. So far he has been able to avoid real fights well into high school. But he knows where the line is should it be needed.
Sounds like something some idiotic school board made up for their district. Whoever wrote it and voted for it has never been at the receiving end of a hard punch. Brainwashed by movies and tv.
In my case there will be no second punches if I am able to respond to the first one. One punch can kill and we have no duty to retreat here in Texas.. :totap:
N5PNZ

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Dad taught me to never start a fight. However, if someone else started it he expected me to fight like I was the 3rd gorilla getting on the Ark and brother, it has started to rain.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Conn. just another loony left state to stay out of...

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am Dad taught me to never start a fight. However, if someone else started it he expected me to fight like I was the 3rd gorilla getting on the Ark and brother, it has started to rain.
Thanks for the laugh! :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am Dad taught me to never start a fight. However, if someone else started it he expected me to fight like I was the 3rd gorilla getting on the Ark and brother, it has started to rain.
My brother and I were told...OFTEN...
Never start a fight, walk away if you can, run if you have to..But once it starts, finish it.
My two sons were taught the same......and both have implemented the last part a few times and the first two parts many more times.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The topic is straying a bit but since we are talking about fighting back and what we tell our kids I will mention my concern with the fighting lessons. Many of us older fellers in here can remember having fist fights all through school and many times there would be a new found friendship after getting some swats or after school time in detention together.

Things have changed dramatically. With many schools implementing a zero tolerance policy, fighting will likely get you arrested or even expelled. Another big change is the level of violence teens are exposed to through media. I never once worried about someone stabbing or shooting me over a fight and I spent 8 years of my schooling attending school in Pasadena Texas being one of 10 white guys. :mrgreen: These kids are shooting and stabbing each other enough these days that it can be risky even having an argument.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”