Four years in jail for killing police officer, no-knock raid, no drugs found, no trial yet

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Four years in jail for killing police officer, no-knock raid, no drugs found, no trial yet

Post by tomneal »

In my simple opinion, no-knock raids / dynamic entry raids, should be reserved for cases involving active kidnapping (not custody battles between divorcing parents) and/or weapons of mass destruction.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Four years in jail for killing police officer, no-knock raid, no drugs found, no trial yet

Post by mojo84 »

tomneal wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 pm In my simple opinion, no-knock raids / dynamic entry raids, should be reserved for cases involving active kidnapping (not custody battles between divorcing parents) and/or weapons of mass destruction.
I agree but that would deprive too many the adrenaline rush and excitement from making such entries. Plus, they've got to use all the cool gear they have.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Almost 6 years before he will get a trial.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Trial ... 62161.html

No knock raids need to go away.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

No Knock raids are only needed for active kidnappings and to search for bombs.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

tomneal wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 pm No Knock raids are only needed for active kidnappings and to search for bombs.
But muh adrenaline rush and army surplus gear!!

<sarcasm, btw>

ELB

Post by ELB »

jason812 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm Almost 6 years before he will get a trial.
I don't know the validity of the original event (the raid), but by Texas statute trials must start within 180 days of arrest. Once an indictment is obtained, I believe the DA has to be ready to go, trial can begin in short order, so I would guess the DA usually has most if not all of his trial ducks in a row by that time. I would wager that delays in the trial date are based on defense motions. "Speedy Trial" sounds good on the surface, but trying to throw up a defense in short order against a prosecution case that may have had months to prepare before indictment might not be in defendant's best interest. It takes time to dig out evidence that may not be initially available or obvious. In this particular case I would bet that a "speedy" trial would have been a speedy conviction and death sentence.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ELB wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 am
jason812 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm Almost 6 years before he will get a trial.
I don't know the validity of the original event (the raid), but by Texas statute trials must start within 180 days of arrest. Once an indictment is obtained, I believe the DA has to be ready to go, trial can begin in short order, so I would guess the DA usually has most if not all of his trial ducks in a row by that time. I would wager that delays in the trial date are based on defense motions. "Speedy Trial" sounds good on the surface, but trying to throw up a defense in short order against a prosecution case that may have had months to prepare before indictment might not be in defendant's best interest. It takes time to dig out evidence that may not be initially available or obvious. In this particular case I would bet that a "speedy" trial would have been a speedy conviction and death sentence.
I was thinking along the same lines as far as the defense delaying the trial. I did not read the links. If the charged is out on bail then delaying the trial allows him to have more time in the real world. If he is sitting in jail all this time, the time would go to any time sentenced. Of caorse if he is sentenced to death it is of no consequence. If I were sitting in jail with no funds for a lawyer or funds for bail and they were threatening me with death, a delay may be welcomed.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

ELB wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 am
I can see how a delay could play into the defendant's benefit. I think he's more likely to get off because it is delayed.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”