FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 4

Re: FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

Post by LTUME1978 »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 am The video makes it pretty obvious what happened.
Yes, it sure does. Older gentleman gets forcefully shoved to the pavement by the boyfriend of the lady that parked illegally in a handicapped spot. Older gentleman did nothing wrong. If fact, we need more people to step up and speak out when the "privileged folks" break the law or those "privileged folks" will continue their behavior and escalate from there.

I am amazed at the people that are defending the behavior of the boyfriend. Go back and watch the video again. Look at the guy that came out of the store after the boyfriend and how fast and how far he went once he saw the gun coming out. If the boyfriend was truly afraid, he should have been back tracking just as fast. The fact that he did not move much while starring down the wrong end of a gun would lead a reasonable person think that he was not afraid for his safety and may very well intend to attack again.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, people’s hearts are filled with schemes to do wrong.

rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rotor »

LTUME1978 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:30 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 am The video makes it pretty obvious what happened.
Yes, it sure does. Older gentleman gets forcefully shoved to the pavement by the boyfriend of the lady that parked illegally in a handicapped spot. Older gentleman did nothing wrong. If fact, we need more people to step up and speak out when the "privileged folks" break the law or those "privileged folks" will continue their behavior and escalate from there.

I am amazed at the people that are defending the behavior of the boyfriend. Go back and watch the video again. Look at the guy that came out of the store after the boyfriend and how fast and how far he went once he saw the gun coming out. If the boyfriend was truly afraid, he should have been back tracking just as fast. The fact that he did not move much while starring down the wrong end of a gun would lead a reasonable person think that he was not afraid for his safety and may very well intend to attack again.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, people’s hearts are filled with schemes to do wrong.
Now the shooter is an "older gentleman".
Perhaps we need one of those vote posts to see what the forum thinks and drop the rest of this second guessing.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:30 pm If fact, we need more people to step up and speak out when the "privileged folks" break the law or those "privileged folks" will continue their behavior and escalate from there.
Like this guy? www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/ar ... 84395.html

I believe the "older gentleman" did more than just speak out.

So you really believe we need more self-appointed cops going around enforcing laws? Many people that engage someone over a traffic violation could try to justify their road rage by saying they are just trying to enforce the law. Would you endorse that behavior? There is a big difference in coming to someone's defense or aid and someone trying to enforce laws.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have to disagree with you on one point. The older gentleman definitely did something wrong, IMHO. I believe that a non-LEO should not initiate an altercation when they witness a traffic infraction that does not directly impact them. This is especially true when armed.

I also have not seen a single post in this 8 page thread saying that the boyfriend did nothing wrong. If there are such posts (that I missed) then I disagree with those posters. The boyfriend escalated the confrontation that had been initiated by the shooter, in a big way, by turning it physical. It may be understandable for him to instinctively come to the defense of his girlfriend and children, but a verbal response would have been better, IMHO. Something like communicating to the shooter that he needs to move away from the vehicle immediately (actual wording would violate forum policies in a big way).

But here's the key point, to me. As a LTC holder, when I choose to be armed, I believe that I have an increased responsibility to be a good citizen. This includes avoiding confrontations over traffic or parking infractions. Just this morning on my drive to work, I witnessed approximately 50 drivers who were speeding. I didn't initiate a confrontation with any of them, nor with the folks who failed to signal when making lane changes or who were following too closely. An untold number of tough use of force calls were avoided just because I decided not to play batman and initiate a confrontation when I saw someone breaking a law. The shooter in this case did the exact opposite.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:12 pm

I have to disagree with you on one point. The older gentleman definitely did something wrong, IMHO. I believe that a non-LEO should not initiate an altercation when they witness a traffic infraction that does not directly impact them. This is especially true when armed.

I also have not seen a single post in this 8 page thread saying that the boyfriend did nothing wrong. If there are such posts (that I missed) then I disagree with those posters. The boyfriend escalated the confrontation that had been initiated by the shooter, in a big way, by turning it physical. It may be understandable for him to instinctively come to the defense of his girlfriend and children, but a verbal response would have been better, IMHO. Something like communicating to the shooter that he needs to move away from the vehicle immediately (actual wording would violate forum policies in a big way).

But here's the key point, to me. As a LTC holder, when I choose to be armed, I believe that I have an increased responsibility to be a good citizen. This includes avoiding confrontations over traffic or parking infractions. Just this morning on my drive to work, I witnessed approximately 50 drivers who were speeding. I didn't initiate a confrontation with any of them, nor with the folks who failed to signal when making lane changes or who were following too closely. An untold number of tough use of force calls were avoided just because I decided not to play batman and initiate a confrontation when I saw someone breaking a law. The shooter in this case did the exact opposite.
:iagree: Good points Soccerdad1995.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LTUME1978 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:12 pm

I think you are taking this completely out of context. Asking someone to move out of a handicapped parking spot is not playing "police". I see it as being thoughtful of someone who may need that spot. Try calling 911 over this (as was suggested in other posts) and see what happens (the caller may get a visit by the Po-Po for abusing 911). The police won't respond on something like this. I just can't believe that there are so many on this site that would walk by this and not ask the person to move.

The shooter did not initiate being assaulted by the boyfriend. You folks are entitled to your opinion. We certainly are on a different page.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 10

Post by bblhd672 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:40 pm I think you are taking this completely out of context. Asking someone to move out of a handicapped parking spot is not playing "police". I see it as being thoughtful of someone who may need that spot.
Just about every time I go out to stores I see people abusing handicapped parking. It's wrong, I don't like it and wish they wouldn't do it. But I'm not going to start a confrontation with anyone about it because (a) there are a lot of people who simply will come unglued if you dare to confront them about their behavior and (b) I'd be spending too much of my precious free time monitoring and trying to change other's abhorrent social behaviors.
What's next, start berating the obviously not handicapped people riding around Wal-Mart and other stores in the electric carts? To me, that's just as bad. Most of those people look like they could desperately use the exercise.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

This thread prompted me to do some research. It turned out to be quite entertaining to search on YouTube for "illegal handicap parking" and watch some of the videos.

Be aware, you'll hear some words that may hurt your sensitive ears. That's why I didn't post a link. I'm a little surprised there aren't more instances of things getting out of hand.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 9

Post by oljames3 »

I'm curious. When I am driving my wife's car and park in a privileged parking spot, I don't hang a placard from the mirror as I am not required to do so. My question is; how many of y'all recognize this example license plate as authorization to park in privileged parking?

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 pm This thread prompted me to do some research. It turned out to be quite entertaining to search on YouTube for "illegal handicap parking" and watch some of the videos.

Be aware, you'll hear some words that may hurt your sensitive ears. That's why I didn't post a link. I'm a little surprised there aren't more instances of things getting out of hand.
Hmmm...a volunteer handicapped parking monitor program in Harris County, TX.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 pm This thread prompted me to do some research. It turned out to be quite entertaining to search on YouTube for "illegal handicap parking" and watch some of the videos.

Hmmm...a volunteer handicapped parking monitor program in Harris County, TX.
It appears there are quite a few around the country. They are trained and I doubt the training includes standing there and chewing someone out and I did see they cannot carry a gun why doing it.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 pm I'm curious. When I am driving my wife's car and park in a privileged parking spot, I don't hang a placard from the mirror as I am not required to do so. My question is; how many of y'all recognize this example license plate as authorization to park in privileged parking?

I recognize it.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:58 pm
oljames3 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 pm I'm curious. When I am driving my wife's car and park in a privileged parking spot, I don't hang a placard from the mirror as I am not required to do so. My question is; how many of y'all recognize this example license plate as authorization to park in privileged parking?

I recognize it.
Ditto

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Odinvalknir »

"That’s when McGlockton, who is black, exited the store and approached Drejka, shoving him violently to the ground with both hands, surveillance video shows. While still on the ground, Drejka, who is white, then pulled out a gun and shot McGlockton, firing a single round that struck him in the chest, deputies said."

I realize this is a little off subject, but WHY does the nypost feel the need to make this a racial issue? Damn I hate the news media. and the ominous music played over the video.... what a crock.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”