FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Re: FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

Post by mojo84 »

dlh wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 pm Not familiar with Florida law. Isn't there a grand jury in any of this? And, of course, I understand a prosecutor can "indict a ham sandwich."
He has been charged.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-parking ... nslaughter

This does not appear to be a sickly old man that some seem to want to think he is.
RPOTEKWOMQ43TMGM3WDGMGNGOA.jpg
RPOTEKWOMQ43TMGM3WDGMGNGOA.jpg (3.7 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I've waited to weigh in on this, but from everything I've read about this guy, and yes I understand that people can claim anything, but there definitely seems to be a pattern, of someone, who, wanted so bad, to be able to use his gun, his carry permit, and the SYG law, to be able to shoot someone. He continually put himself into situations, where there was a likelihood, of someone throwing a punch, or some other violent act, and he finally got his wish. I just don't think it will end up like he hoped.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 9

Post by oljames3 »

John Corriea and a lawyer discuss this incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2jVmoHUizc
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TomS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomS »

Everyone can debate the details of the video and the law. I think everyone can agree that both parties were looking for trouble and had history of trouble. A whole lot of ignorance in that encounter. If you look for trouble, you will find it.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm
dlh wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 pm Not familiar with Florida law. Isn't there a grand jury in any of this? And, of course, I understand a prosecutor can "indict a ham sandwich."
He has been charged.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-parking ... nslaughter

This does not appear to be a sickly old man that some seem to want to think he is.

RPOTEKWOMQ43TMGM3WDGMGNGOA.jpg
Mojo84, somehow the stories that went around made him seem like an elderly man with some sort of physical ailments or disabilities. Now, maybe that guy does have disabilities of some sort, but no, he is certainly NOT elderly.

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

Sad he been charged I find that even in Johnson County we have issues finding parking for my wife. If I complain about it that doesn't allow some one to walk out and shove me to the ground.

My bottom line is don't park in Handicapped ♿ spots and don't get upset when you get called out about it. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I don't get upset if someone complains about my parking in a privileged parking place. I just ask them to read the bottom line of my license plate, "DISABLED VETERAN US ARMED FORCES", and accept their apology.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Another thing to remember is that not all of us are obviously disabled. Regardless of how I feel, you will not see me limp or exhibit any other obvious sign of disability as long as I am able.

If one were to bother to observe carefully, one might discern the care with which I enter and exit my vehicle.

There may come a day when my vanity must give way to physical reality, but it is not this day.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

I think one problem is that Doctors hand HC plaqardes our like candy and they are good until your drivers license comes up for renewal. I know my own Sister received a HC window sign when she broke her ankle, yet it was good for years even after she had healed.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

WTR wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:11 am I think one problem is that Doctors hand HC plaqardes our like candy and they are good until your drivers license comes up for renewal. I know my own Sister received a HC window sign when she broke her ankle, yet it was good for years even after she had healed.
Temporary disability placards are red and are expire in six months or less. Permanent placards are blue and are renewable every four years. The placards have an expiration date on them. License plates are intended to be permanent. Disabled vet plates are a little different in that we present the VA disability rating letter rather than a prescription.
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/disable ... rds-plates

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Problem is that I have never seen a red card and I know several people who had temporary disabilities who have received the blue card. I am in in NM and the card I was issued expired at my DL renewal date which was greater than four years.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

WTR wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 pm Problem is that I have never seen a red card and I know several people who had temporary disabilities who have received the blue card. I am in in NM and the card I was issued expired at my DL renewal date which was greater than four years.
Then again, this is a forum specific to Texas. I think it is quite evident there are quite a few differences between Texas and New Mexico. This may be one.

Here you go. www.txdmv.gov/motorists/disabled-parkin ... rds-plates
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

You may be correct concerning the expiration date of a card. However, I do 99% of my work in El Paso and I have never seen a Red card. Also, three of the people I know who have had temporary disabilities ( two broken ankles and one broken clavicle which required surgery) cards all received blue cards and are TX residents.

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by spectre »

mojo84 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:12 pm
WTR wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 pm Problem is that I have never seen a red card and I know several people who had temporary disabilities who have received the blue card. I am in in NM and the card I was issued expired at my DL renewal date which was greater than four years.
Then again, this is a forum specific to Texas. I think it is quite evident there are quite a few differences between Texas and New Mexico. This may be one.
And this happened in Florida which is yet another state with its own differences.

And there's no evidence the woman in Florida was a disabled veteran or the Queen of the Nile, so she shouldn't have parked there.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

WTR wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:21 pm You may be correct concerning the expiration date of a card. However, I do 99% of my work in El Paso and I have never seen a Red card. Also, three of the people I know who have had temporary disabilities ( two broken ankles and one broken clavicle which required surgery) cards all received blue cards and are TX residents.
Here is the info from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. You can see more at the links in previous messages. I've copied and summarized the TxDMV web page here for your convenience. Any questions can be answered by the TxDMV at (888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-3000.

This is the blue placard. According to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, "A blue placard is for a person who has a permanent disability. This placard is renewable every 4 years."

This is the red placard. According to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, "A red placard is for a person who has a temporary disability. This placard expires in 6 months or less."

This is a Texas Disabled Veteran Plate. They come in many flavors which you can see here: https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+d ... 73#imgrc=_

Applying for Disable Veteran status is a bit different. This is from the TxDMV:
Disabled Veteran license plates feature "DV" as part of the license plate number. DV-designated plates provide the same parking rights and privileges as a plate with the International Symbol of Access. To qualify:

You must be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, with a service-connected disability of at least 50 percent, or at least 40 percent due to the amputation of a lower extremity, and
Honorably discharged, receiving compensation from the U.S. government as a result of such disability.
Proof of eligibility may be provided with signed approval by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on Form VTR-615, or a letter from Veterans Affairs stating eligibility.
VTR-615 Application for Disabled Veteran License Plates and Parking Placards
Texas cities may provide additional parking privileges, such as free parking at the airport. Check with your local city officials.
Vehicles with Disabled Veteran license plates may be parked for an unlimited period in a parking space or area that is designated specifically for persons with physical disabilities on the property of an institution of higher education regardless of whether a permit is generally required for the use of the space or area. For more information about campus parking privileges, please contact the institution of higher education.
In addition to the Disabled Veteran plate, certain military honors license plates are also eligible for exemptions from payment of certain parking fees, including:
Air Force Cross
Air Medal
Air Medal with Valor
Army Distinguished Service Cross
Bronze Star
Bronze Star with Valor
Congressional Medal of Honor
Defense Superior Service Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross
Distinguished Service Medal
Former Prisoner of War
Legion of Merit
Legion of Valor
Medal of Honor
Navy Cross
Pearl Harbor Survivor
Purple Heart
Silver Star
World War II Veterans

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”