FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Re: FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 am So when you tell someone they are breaking the law or acting inappropriately, that justifies an assault from another person coming from another direction. Ok, got it. :thumbs2:

Good or bad shoot aside, the guy was attacked from the blind side and most here would have drawn if able, after being flattened. He clearly didn't know that the attacker was with the HC parker.

This wasn't about a HC spot- it was about somebody talking to the unstable, dead guys girl...
I read almost every post in this thread, and didn't see a single one that claimed the shoving was justified. Maybe I missed a post saying that, but in any event, I agree with you that the "shover" was not justified to lay his hands on the shooter.

The only real question being discussed here is whether the shooting was justified given the totality of the circumstances, including the shooters decision to initiate the confrontation in the first place.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:32 am The only real question being discussed here is whether the shooting was justified given the totality of the circumstances, including the shooters decision to initiate the confrontation in the first place.
:iagree:

This is a running trial update on the Tampa Bay Times website:
https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinellas/ ... it-begins/

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:32 am
flechero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 am So when you tell someone they are breaking the law or acting inappropriately, that justifies an assault from another person coming from another direction. Ok, got it. :thumbs2:

Good or bad shoot aside, the guy was attacked from the blind side and most here would have drawn if able, after being flattened. He clearly didn't know that the attacker was with the HC parker.

This wasn't about a HC spot- it was about somebody talking to the unstable, dead guys girl...
I read almost every post in this thread, and didn't see a single one that claimed the shoving was justified. Maybe I missed a post saying that, but in any event, I agree with you that the "shover" was not justified to lay his hands on the shooter.

The only real question being discussed here is whether the shooting was justified given the totality of the circumstances, including the shooters decision to initiate the confrontation in the first place.
My first comment was just sarcastic (about the shove being justified)

I agree with the question of good/bad shoot. But but the caveat to me is that the discussion with the parked car is not really part of the equation... he was blindly assaulted and the aggressor had no notion of what he and the driver were discussing or why. At best he heard his girl and a man arguing. And of note- the man was not up in the window physically threatening her.

My position is that he should not have shot... but I'm not convinced that he'll be found guilty either.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 9

Post by oljames3 »

Attorney Andrew Branca reviews CNN report. “Handicap Spot” Trial Triggers #FakeNews Tsunami.
The link below will only work today, 8/19/19, unless you join Branca's blog at the FREE Bronze level. Then it will work for 3 days. Some of the links in this blog post also are only available for those who join at a paid level.

https://lawofselfdefense.com/handicap-s ... s-tsunami/
“Handicap Spot” Trial Triggers #FakeNews Tsunami
By Attorney Andrew Branca / August 19, 2019
The Florida “handicap parking spot shooting” trial of Michael Drejka starts this week, and accordingly news coverage of the case—by which, of course, I mean “media lying” about the case—can be expected to spike.

An excellent example of such media lying is found in today’s lie-filled report by—no surprise—that festering sore of media lies CNN. In today’s post we step through that “news” report and fisk out the many lies within.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/trial-start-case ... 12996.html

Plastered as page one all over TV last night showing the video of the shooting over and over again.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

ANALYSIS: Michael Drejka Guilty of Manslaughter
Attorney Andrew Branca:
OK, folks, here’s a somewhat more in-depth commentary on Drejka’s conviction last night:

Last night “handicap parking spot shooter” Michael Drejka was found guilty of manslaughter, as charged, for the shooting death of Markeis McGlockton. The verdict was returned quickly last night, after the jury had deliberated only a few hours.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/analysis-m ... slaughter/

(Paywalled after three days.)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 am ANALYSIS: Michael Drejka Guilty of Manslaughter
Attorney Andrew Branca:
OK, folks, here’s a somewhat more in-depth commentary on Drejka’s conviction last night:

Last night “handicap parking spot shooter” Michael Drejka was found guilty of manslaughter, as charged, for the shooting death of Markeis McGlockton. The verdict was returned quickly last night, after the jury had deliberated only a few hours.

This shows the risk one faces with a jury. Right or wrong, one never knows what emotions will play out and find an innocent person guilty of a crime. IMHO

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 am ANALYSIS: Michael Drejka Guilty of Manslaughter
Attorney Andrew Branca:

Good read. Thanks!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thatguyoverthere »

And so now it looks bad at trial if it comes out that we took an extra half-second to actually aim our shot, rather than just randomly spraying bullets all over the place. Durned if you do and durned if you don't.
He [the prosecutor] called the shooting intentional, saying Drejka [the defendant] faced no imminent bodily harm or death and that he took "the most perfect shot he could take."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/micha ... spartandhp

BTW, I'm not arguing the man's guilt or innocence - the jury has rendered a decision and that is that as far as I'm concerned. I just mention this to remind us all that if we're ever in "a situation" then EVERY SINGLE DETAIL will be closely examined and might be used in ways that we might not have imagined.

Be safe, and may God bless.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Does anyone know if it is legal to "produce" (draw/point, but not actually use) the firearm, to create apprehension of its use if necessary, in the State of Florida?

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

Attorney Andrew Branca:

Good read. Reminder to NEVER talk to the police if you have to pull the trigger.

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DynamicDan »

Two people who made the wrong choice. One is dead and the other is going to jail. this self appointed defender of parking spaces should have known you don't put yourself in a confrontational situation when carrying a gun, unless it is absolutely necessary. This wasn't

03Lightningrocks

DynamicDan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:24 pm Two people who made the wrong choice. One is dead and the other is going to jail. this self appointed defender of parking spaces should have known you don't put yourself in a confrontational situation when carrying a gun, unless it is absolutely necessary. This wasn't
You make a very valid point. :iagree:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/parking-space-en ... 26748.html

Parking space enforcer sentenced to 20 years.

He is 48 probably now.

Interesting in the initial story the Sheriff said it was "stand your ground". Probably he had not seen the video.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:47 am https://news.yahoo.com/parking-space-en ... 26748.html

Parking space enforcer sentenced to 20 years.

He is 48 probably now.

Interesting in the initial story the Sheriff said it was "stand your ground". Probably he had not seen the video.
That sure seems like a heavy sentence for using self defense. I think I understand how it works now. If some thug knocks you to the ground, self defense is not allowed if he is black. OK... guess I would be going to jail because black, white green or brown, someone knocks me to the ground and then moves at me like they are gonna keep up the attack, they might just get shot. :tiphat:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”