iPhone autocorrect is anti-gun

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jonmo1
Posts in topic: 1

iPhone autocorrect is anti-gun

Post by jonmo1 »

I knew it had to be, everything is anti-gun. But here’s the proof. It refuses to suggest the word bullets. It’s very telling that it does suggest bulletPROOF, but not bullet or bullets.
D1B20896-382D-4B70-BCD0-E5B67ACD8754.jpeg

FYI, the whole text I wrote is
“A second victim armed himself with an AR-15 rifle and fired a round at the robbers, nearly striking one.

That can’t be right, only one round fired with an AR-15? And it missed?
But their only purpose is to mow down people with a spray of rapidly fired bullets.
Something must be wrong here, maybe a defective AR-15?”

This was in response to the home defense use of AR-15 in HI.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/07/2 ... olice-say/

Maxwell

Re: iPhone autocorrect is anti-gun

Post by Maxwell »

You sound surprised... :biggrinjester:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You can actually make it suggest the word ‘bullet’ or ‘bullets’ going forward. It’s not hard to do. The autocorrect has a learning function. For a while, every time I wanted to type the word ‘ammo’, autocorrect would want to capitalize the first letter. Eventually, by overriding the autocorrect, it learned that most of the time, I don’t want it capitalized, and it stopped suggesting it with a capital “A”. Yours will do the same thing with the word ‘bullet’, if you persist. Also, you can very easily put an override into your system through your keyboard preferences.

Example..... I have set a preference in my keyboard functions (Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement) so that anytime I type “&shrug”, it comes out as ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Similarly, “FBI” comes out as Security Branch of the DNC (AKA “FBI”). Use that function to force a proper spelling of bullet.

Lastly, if you find it that annoying, go to Settings > General > Keyboard, find “Auto-Correction”, and flip the switch to turn it off.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I just typed in "bull" into a text message and "bullet" is the first suggestion it showed to complete the word.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am I just typed in "bull" into a text message and "bullet" is the first suggestion it showed to complete the word.
If you had gone ahead and typed the following “s” and the “h”, it would have offered something different. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

I find the voice recognition/auto-suggest function seemed to have massively deteriorated a couple iOS updates ago. I'll speak a sentence in, see it more or less correctly reproduced on the screen, and then suddenly the autocorrect/suggest turns in to into gibberish.

I would dump Apple in a heartbeat if there was something better, but I have an Android work phone and I don't like how it works at all.
USAF 1982-2005

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am
C-dub wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am I just typed in "bull" into a text message and "bullet" is the first suggestion it showed to complete the word.
If you had gone ahead and typed the following “s” and the “h”, it would have offered something different. :mrgreen:
Never in my life have I texted what you suggested but admittedly as soon as I read that I picked up the phone and started B u l l s and the suggestions were Bullish and bullies I guess it knows I don't type bad words often! :lol:

Although it didn't suggest bullet either- even when I was at "bulle"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Being bullied by a phone...orwellian...

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

On top of that, the I Phone or Google maps is, in my opinion, getting kickbacks from NTTA. Every time I enter an address for directions, it automatically takes me to a route that has a toll road on it. Even if there are shorter, quicker routes.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

RPBrown wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:02 am On top of that, the I Phone or Google maps is, in my opinion, getting kickbacks from NTTA. Every time I enter an address for directions, it automatically takes me to a route that has a toll road on it. Even if there are shorter, quicker routes.
You can tell google maps to "Avoid tolls". I do not know about apple maps, but I would assume they would have a similar option.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am
bullshoes?
bullshirt?
bullsheers?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Mel

Post by Mel »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am
RPBrown wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:02 am On top of that, the I Phone or Google maps is, in my opinion, getting kickbacks from NTTA. Every time I enter an address for directions, it automatically takes me to a route that has a toll road on it. Even if there are shorter, quicker routes.
You can tell google maps to "Avoid tolls". I do not know about apple maps, but I would assume they would have a similar option.
But you MUST tell it every time. You cannot make it a default!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Mel

Post by Mel »

lonestar144 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 pm
Mel wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:37 pm But you MUST tell it every time. You cannot make it a default!
https://www.howtogeek.com/316832/how-to ... ogle-maps/
Not available on my computer!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”