State Senate Committee Hearing on School Violence

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

State Senate Committee Hearing on School Violence

Post by J.R.@A&M »

“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Pawpaw

Re: State Senate Committee Hearing on School Violence

Post by Pawpaw »

Your link doesn't work for me. I get "Permission Denied".

Edit: Apparently, that site needs a login.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

sbrawley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:39 pm I don’t know about y’all, but I think I heard more opposition to the red flag bill than for it. Hopefully that’s the way the legislature swings if it gets that far. As many have said, it leaves too much room for judicial abuse.
:iagree:
My Impression:

invited testimony had some anti-gun momsdemand and Texas Gunsense & Everytown people
and a few Pro-2a

That was followed by overwhelming numbers of Pro-2A people who drove from all over Texas, in addition to the normal Pro-2A groups, and then 1 or 2 momsdemand individuals

stash

Post by stash »

According to an email I got this morning (not going to say from where) this red flag thing is not going to fly.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

I testified at the senate hearing, and I was glad I did. I felt the hearing went well and Senate hearing was nowhere near as biased as the House hearing which felt like they were all in for more gun control.

I was especially glad last night to hear that the Lt. Governor pretty much said red flag is dead. That being said we must always stay vigilant. Politicians can always say one thing and then do another and they must be called out if they try.

I saw someone on the Open Carry Texas facebook forum post this AAR which I thought summed things up well.
Yesterday was a good day for liberty. The Senate had a hearing on red flag laws in front of a special committee formed by Dan Patrick to respond to Gov. Abbott's proposals relating to school shootings. (Abbott has proposed two gun control measures, red flag laws and more draconian gun storage laws).

The Senate hearing was different than the House hearings. It was not orchestrated in favor of gun control the way Dem Chair Joe Moody did. There was no enthusiasm for red flag laws. Even the Dems were skeptical. Sen. Rodriguez of El Paso made it clear from his questions that he thought existing law involuntary menal health commitment law, harassment law, and terroristic threat laws n Texas are sufficient. Sen. Royce West pushed on a pro-gun-control witness to get him to admit that the problem was ignorance and lack of enforcement of existing law that was the problem. Sen. West expressed concerns about due process and burden of proof a number of times.

The number of witnesses from the firearms freedom community far outweighed the gun-control proponents.

After the hearing, Dan Patrick posted yesterday that Governor Abbott has backed off Red Flag laws and that he never liked them

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

https://www.ltgov.texas.gov/2018/07/24/ ... -security/
“Regarding the topic of ‘Red Flag’ laws, which was discussed today in the select committee, I have never supported these policies, nor has the majority of the Texas Senate. A bill offered last session garnered little support. Governor Greg Abbott formally asked the legislature to consider ‘Red Flag’ laws in May so I added them to the charges I gave to the select committee. However, Gov. Abbott has since said he doesn’t advocate ‘Red Flag’ laws.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”