3 D Printed guns in the news

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 3 D Printed guns in the news

Post by crazy2medic »

philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm https://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2018/ ... /#comments

So I saw the 3D gun in yellow. It’s so much prettier in yellow than the UN blue.

Trying to find it Huffington Post led me indirectly here where you can download guns or viruses.

It said there are plans for AR 15’s AK47 or their one shot .380.

So the 3D gun is not only one shot but is a .380.

Didn’t the Allies drop thousands of one shot guns into France? Weren’t they .45’s at least?
Yes, they dropped single shot .45 pistols to the partisan behind german lines, the pistol was dropped with 4rds, and was called......wait for it.....the liberator!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TreyHouston »

warnmar10 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:54 am
TreyHouston wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 am Computer, 3D printer, material and program would cost 1000’s. Buying a gun off the street thats serial number has been filed off is less than $100.
What do you think criminals will use :confused5
Actually you can get this done for 100's not 1000's but point taken.
Computer, 3D printer, SOFTWARE, and material (including all the errors) for 100’s? I think not good man! :lol:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:46 pm
philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm https://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2018/ ... /#comments

So I saw the 3D gun in yellow. It’s so much prettier in yellow than the UN blue.

Trying to find it Huffington Post led me indirectly here where you can download guns or viruses.

It said there are plans for AR 15’s AK47 or their one shot .380.

So the 3D gun is not only one shot but is a .380.

Didn’t the Allies drop thousands of one shot guns into France? Weren’t they .45’s at least?
Yes, they dropped single shot .45 pistols to the partisan behind german lines, the pistol was dropped with 4rds, and was called......wait for it.....the liberator!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

rotor wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:56 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm In case anyone doesn't get the gravity of this situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/us/p ... trump.html
Mr. Blumenthal and Mr. Markey were among a group of Democrats who announced they were introducing two separate bills related to 3-D guns: one that would bar the manufacture and sale of any untraceable weapon, and another that would prohibit the online publication of blueprints for the plastic guns.
...80% lowers...

And, this isn't only a 2nd amendment issue. This is a censorship issue, a 1st amendment issue. If they can block the release of these files, who's to say they can't start blocking other types of files? Fahrenheit 451 kind of stuff.

Also, one federal judge today ruled to allow defcad.org to stay up, while another ruled it had to be taken down. So on day 1, we have a disagreement in the court system.
At least someone realizes that this is not a gun issue. Can an individual release their intellectual property to the masses or does the government have the right to censor it? It's not about plastic guns. It's freedom of speech.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3997 ... blueprints
"Any legislation that comes forth from this body that begins with the following words will attract my attention and should attract the attention of anyone who's concerned about our first amendment and other constitutional rights," Lee said.

"It begins with the words 'it shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally publish.' That ought to be concerning to us," Lee added.
I couldn’t have said it better myself.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by warnmar10 »

TreyHouston wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:08 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 am Computer, 3D printer, material and program would cost 1000’s. Buying a gun off the street thats serial number has been filed off is less than $100.
Computer, 3D printer, SOFTWARE, and material (including all the errors) for 100’s? I think not good man! :lol:
Pretty much any modern computer can run Fusion 360 which is free for non-commercial use and there are plenty of open source slicers. Filament is $10-$35 a roll for most materials and a roll should yield several receivers. A quick scan of craigslist reveals 3d printers up to the task starting in the $400 range. If we're diligent I think we could be printing ghost guns for $5-$600. Why, I don't know but you could do it. Plus, hood rats aren't burdened with the stigma of having to pay for things. They just take what they need from someone with the ability to pay for it.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

warnmar10 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 am Pretty much any modern computer can run Fusion 360 which is free for non-commercial use and there are plenty of open source slicers. Filament is $10-$35 a roll for most materials and a roll should yield several receivers. A quick scan of craigslist reveals 3d printers up to the task starting in the $400 range. If we're diligent I think we could be printing ghost guns for $5-$600. Why, I don't know but you could do it. Plus, hood rats aren't burdened with the stigma of having to pay for things. They just take what they need from someone with the ability to pay for it.
Once it's stolen, the paper trail of ownership is broken, and it pretty much becomes a ghost gun. A few sales bypassing an FFL also breaks the chain.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TreyHouston »

warnmar10 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 am
TreyHouston wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:08 pm
Pretty much any modern computer can run Fusion 360 which is free for non-commercial use and there are plenty of open source slicers. Filament is $10-$35 a roll for most materials and a roll should yield several receivers. A quick scan of craigslist reveals 3d printers up to the task starting in the $400 range. If we're diligent I think we could be printing ghost guns for $5-$600. Why, I don't know but you could do it. Plus, hood rats aren't burdened with the stigma of having to pay for things. They just take what they need from someone with the ability to pay for it.
Thank you for the info. :tiphat:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

TreyHouston wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 amThank you for the info. :tiphat:
Here's a guy who built his 3d printer for ~$135.

FWIW the part source CD/DVD drives are available <$10 online so even if you have to buy new it isn't an impediment.

All the electronics are ~$25/free delivery: https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wareh ... 28QAvD_BwE

The extruder and hot end ~$50.

That leaves $50 for aluminum & hardware.

wOOt!

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

Do what you say you're gonna do.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I have a 3D printer at work that uses plastic filament. I would consider it on the high end of that type of printer. A 3D printed gun is nothing more than a novelty. If one values their life, it would have to at the very least have a metal barrel. The media has the anti's worked up with the belief that anybody with a printer can make a plastic gun to get by metal detectors which is just not the case. I could see a 3D printed AR lower that with the proper reinforcement, be functional and last more than a few rounds. This would be a "ghost gun" but so are 80% lowers and I bet there are plans in the works to out law them as well.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 am Image
WILL SCAN ANY GUN FOR YOU... ONLY $5.00
IMG_2814.jpg

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 am... A 3D printed gun is nothing more than a novelty. ...
This. When/if powdered metal molding comes to the garage hobbyist market maybe we can talk. Until then you're printing gun shaped plastic paper weights. I suppose you could print your very own blue guns too. Meanwhile I have not a care to spare about 3d printed guns.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

warnmar10 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:40 am
jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 amI suppose you could print your very own blue guns too.
That is actually what I am most excited about, lol! Getting some scale models so I can make 'blue gun' copies of my firearms for kyder holster making and training purposes.

A repository would be great if anybody has the link.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:33 pm
warnmar10 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:40 am
jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 amI suppose you could print your very own blue guns too.
That is actually what I am most excited about, lol! Getting some scale models so I can make 'blue gun' copies of my firearms for kyder holster making and training purposes.
A repository would be great if anybody has the link.

I think you got a few of your quotes messed up but I know what you are talking about.

https://www.3dnatives.com/en/top-10-low ... 280320174/

Industrial ones are pricey but have a finer accuracy.
https://www.artec3d.com/portable-3d-sca ... tec-spider

I wish I had the funds to have my own shop as I would have all kinds of fun toys like these.

As for a repository, check out https://grabcad.com/library Use those at your own risk because they are submitted by people tinkering not the companies themselves.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-apos-con ... 15371.html

Apparently when the NRA is making fun of gun laws the press fails to get it.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”