3 D Printed guns in the news

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Re: 3 D Printed guns in the news

Post by Syntyr »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 am
Syntyr wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:00 pm
TexasCajun wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm
apostate wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:32 pm Maybe we should rile 'em up again in a few weeks with online plans for undetectable 3D printed plastic knives. ;-)
There are ceramic knives that don't contain any metal.
Carbon fiber how to video...
Sweet!
I would love to do that. About the time I got the carbon fiber mats cut I woul lose intrest and go find something else to do. So I will just admire from afar.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NotRPB »

The only reason I wouldn't get a 3D gun or 3D knife is those 3D Glasses you have to wear, give me a headache

That's why I had to remove the 3D Chainsaw Bayonet from the AR15

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Where this will be an issue in the U.S. will be based on other products. Could I 3D print a suppressor or a 50 round magazine? 3D printing will get cheaper and better. We should not fall asleep on this political issue because the current gun quality is poor or because it is expensive. I do not think this will be able to be regulated without exerting significant government control over individuals, companies, and the internet, or by potentially turning a lot of people into criminals.

This is very much a time for 1st and 2nd amendment absolutism. Tying this to the 1st amendment is politically a good move.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking ... g6yg0Z1JN/

Austin man at center of Printed guns, being investigated for sex assault charge.

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:38 pm https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking ... g6yg0Z1JN/

Austin man at center of Printed guns, being investigated for sex assault charge.
Call me cynical but this seems awfully convenient. I'm not that computer literate, how hard would it be to fake an account and set someone up?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

So the victim used basically a prostitute website to meet a rich guy, performed a service, got paid for said service, and now regrets it... and because she lied about her age, he is going to be screwed.

This is where I disagree with the law. She claimed to be an adult, most likely looked like one, yet he may go to jail. Sorry, if a 16 year old girl is going to lie about her age, the law regarding underage situations should not apply. This happens too often in my opinion. We need to update our laws... but it ain't gonna happen. He might be guilty of prostitution, which is a discussion for another day, but to hang him on sexual assault because she lied about her age is not justice.

As a single guy, I'm scared to even date anyone these days...I don't want to harass anyone with what used to be called flirting.

I don't even compliment women anymore unless I know them well. I don't mean catcalls either...i mean stuff like ... you look nice today. Overreaction maybe, but better safe than sorry.

:tiphat:

I'm not sure tipping a hat is okay anymore!
I do still open doors for women and older people... surely that will always be okay...I hope.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

RicoTX wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 pm So the victim used basically a prostitute website to meet a rich guy, performed a service, got paid for said service, and now regrets it... and because she lied about her age, he is going to be screwed.

This is where I disagree with the law. She claimed to be an adult, most likely looked like one, yet he may go to jail. Sorry, if a 16 year old girl is going to lie about her age, the law regarding underage situations should not apply. This happens too often in my opinion. We need to update our laws... but it ain't gonna happen. He might be guilty of prostitution, which is a discussion for another day, but to hang him on sexual assault because she lied about her age is not justice.

As a single guy, I'm scared to even date anyone these days...I don't want to harass anyone with what used to be called flirting.

I don't even compliment women anymore unless I know them well. I don't mean catcalls either...i mean stuff like ... you look nice today. Overreaction maybe, but better safe than sorry.

I do still open doors for women and older people... surely that will always be okay...I hope.

Yeah, I tend to agree, but, the fact that he suddenly "missed" his flight after being told, he was being investigated, makes him look like he may have had at least an inkling of her age. I guess, it will be up to a judge, or a jury to decide. Not a very smart move, to solicit, on line anyway. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

RicoTX wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 pm ....
Having been on the opposite side of the problem (I have a female relative who lied about her age and looked 19+), yes it is baloney. There needs to be a different standard based on the 'men's rea' of the situation. If constructive intent and its applicable reduced sentencing under the law were to be applied, that would be one thing, but now there is some poor guy out there that after spending months in jail is a registered sex offender and is supposed to tell all of his neighbors from here on out, as well as being listed in public databases. It is insane that we can't just make non-violent sex crimes drop out of RSO programs after ten years (or whatever arbitrary limit).

Not to mention the fact that he now loses out on tons of job prospects, can't work or live near any schools, ad nasuem... Would you want to have to explain that in every job interview for the rest of your life? Do you think it will affect his pay? You betcha. All because my relative lied and that guy didn't ask for id.

Its totally bull. :banghead:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

RicoTX wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 pm So the victim used basically a prostitute website to meet a rich guy, performed a service, got paid for said service, and now regrets it... and because she lied about her age, he is going to be screwed.

Yes I would say it would be rough to be a single guy today. I have several much younger acquaintances who got in tremendous trouble over incidents that would have been ignored by the police and the DA in my day. I didn't even know there was a thing called 4th degree rape. And apparently if a girl shows a fake ID that is not a defense either.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

philip964 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:22 am And apparently if a girl shows a fake ID that is not a defense either.
Can you imagine if they prosecuted bars and stores that sell alcohol to somebody who has a fake ID?

Or prosecuted you for possessing stolen property even if you have a bill of sale.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3d-printed-g ... 01790.html

Huff post calls it child sexual assault.

Yeah the’re not after him at all because of guns.

The dude is young and good looking. I’m just not understanding this.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I've been following the story pretty closely, and so far the official narrative is really hard to swallow. I'm not at all saying that it didn't happen. It may have. Plenty of smart people have done really dumb things. However, the timing of it is extremely suspect, and the whole thing could have been faked pretty easily if someone with even moderate resources wanted him gone. Since we know for a fact a ton of people with almost limitless resources wanted him gone...

Let's just say my personal bar for convincing is going to be pretty high on this one to get me to buy it. I will be very interested to hear his side of the story.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LucasMcCain wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 pm I've been following the story pretty closely, and so far the official narrative is really hard to swallow. I'm not at all saying that it didn't happen. It may have. Plenty of smart people have done really dumb things. However, the timing of it is extremely suspect, and the whole thing could have been faked pretty easily if someone with even moderate resources wanted him gone. Since we know for a fact a ton of people with almost limitless resources wanted him gone...

Let's just say my personal bar for convincing is going to be pretty high on this one to get me to buy it. I will be very interested to hear his side of the story.

It is convenient, and you are only paranoid, if it's not true, that they are out to get you. His problem right now, is that he left the country, maybe for legitimate reasons, but is now, not returning after learning of the investigation. He should have enough, money, to hire a lawyer, have the lawyer arrange for a meeting at an airport, and turn himself in to be booked, and bonded out. He can then let it play out in court. If the story, is true, whether, a set up or not, I don't think, a conspiracy theory, will be much of a defense. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Alf

Post by Alf »

Jusme wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:17 pm He should have enough, money, to hire a lawyer, have the lawyer arrange for a meeting at an airport, and turn himself in to be booked, and bonded out. He can then let it play out in court. If the story, is true, whether, a set up or not, I don't think, a conspiracy theory, will be much of a defense. JMHO
What is the risk versus reward of turning himself in? Even if he was set up, or completely innocent, he risks a guilty verdict and up to 20 years in prison. The best he can hope for is spending six figures and months to prove his innocence beyond a reasonable doubt, with no chance of recovering either from his accuser or the prosecutor. There's no way he can play the game by their rules and win.

He knows this. How much time and money did he spending fighting the government to defend his first and second amendment rights to publish and sell his gun plans? Then, after winning, he gets slapped with an injunction to prevent him from doing what he just won the right to do. Based on how the courts have treated him, why should he trust them this time? Maybe the smart thing is to make like mint jelly and go on the lam.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Defense Distributed held a press conference this morning. Wilson has left the organization and they will continue without him. Their mission and focus has not changed, and it sounds like the woman who was his right hand in the organization will be heading it up now. They wouldn't comment on Wilson's trial or legal troubles in any way. The audio on the live stream was terrible, so I couldn't make out much more than that. The woman leading it seemed very well spoken and confident. I can't remember her name. If I can find a recording of it somewhere, I'll post a link.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”