Shopify Banning Gun And Accessory Dealers

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Shopify Banning Gun And Accessory Dealers

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 am How would this affect me as a consumer?
It's not always obvious what web sites use Shopify. For those sites that Shopify shuts down, the effect will depend on how Shopify goes about it.

1. Total shut down....
If Shopify "kicks sellers off the platform", then the sellers will not be reachable on the web until they move their web site to a new host.

2. Stop processing transactions, but don't disable the web site...
If Shopify stops processing purchases but leaves the web pages live... Customers will be able to view the sellers web pages, but not be able to add items to the cart or process purchases, until the seller moves to another platform.

If you are doing business via Shopify, your web pages are hosted on servers managed by Shopify (or their designee).

Here's the real pain..... Anybody can put up a basic web site in a few minutes. Shopify enables sellers to put up a complex web site that can do complex things like enable the selection of products based on multiple variables (a simple t-shirt purchase requires a buyer to select style, color and size, for example), match that selection to inventory and process payments (which are regulated and secured). Replicating that functionality independently can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Moving that functionality to a new platform is not a trivial or inexpensive task, and, the seller runs the risk of being booted from the next platform as well..

Quite a sticky situation.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

RoyGBiv,

Thank you.

One last question: Isn't shopify shooting themselves (along with many others like perhaps...yourself) in the foot with their anti-gun policy or whatever it may be termed as...?

And, thanks again.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 am RoyGBiv,

Thank you.

One last question: Isn't shopify shooting themselves (along with many others like perhaps...yourself) in the foot with their anti-gun policy or whatever it may be termed as...?

And, thanks again.
Depends on how people react to it....

Will many sellers abandon them... enough to make it painful?
Will many buyers stop buying from sellers using Shopify? (seems unlikely and would hurt the sellers more than Shopify)

Really the question is.... What safe alternatives are there, and what is the cost, for sellers like me that would like to switch away from non-2A-Friendly shopify, given what they've done here?

Unfortunately, I don't think shopify will feel much immediate pain from this decision.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBYC »

Abraham wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 am How would this affect me as a consumer?

I think Primary Arms sells Spikes merchandise. How will shopify's new anti-gun policy affect their inventory?

Given the new anti-gun policy Shopify plans to (or is currently implementing) does this mean businesses like Primary Arms can't receive Spikes products, thus as a consumer who does business with Primary, they'll no longer carry Spikes products?

Plus, is Spike's likely to eventually go out of business because shopify has so much control over their sales?

Inquiring minds and all that...
Shopify is generally used for online retail sales. I doubt there's much B2B supply chain activity on the Shopify platform but I could be wrong. I think the biggest effects will be felt by small online shops that use Shopify rather than build out a full online storefront in house.

In short, I don't think this will affect Primary Arms selling Spike's Tactical guns and gear, unless the PA web store uses Shopify.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

We're seeing more and more and more of these actions, where private businesses, banks, cloud software companies, etc. are enacting "legislation" using their restrictive and contractual powers. We have this Shopify policy, for example, and the recent refusal of some banks to process credit card transactions involving firearms.

These kinds of restrictions are supposed to occur through actual legislation and the democratic process, but it's seeming like more and more private entities are stepping in and "playing government." A very disturbing thought.

A civil tort approach would be very interesting, indeed.
-Ruark

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I'm woefully ignorant regarding the shopify nuts and bolts, that said: If I buy a gun using my credit card will my transaction be stopped once it finds it's way through the credit card pipeline causing me and the store grief or will my credit card be refused at the gun store counter or....?

Anyone?

I'm still not going to be stopped because 'cash' works just fine. In fact, in the past that's all I ever used. Sure Credit Cards are convenient, but necessary, ...nope.

So, if Shopify thinks they can control the gun buying public with their capricious nonsense they're sorely mistaken...

"Hello Local Gun Store"

"I'd want to buy a Glock 19 newest generation - how much will it cost me with tax?"

"Sounds Good, I'll stop by my bank on the way and bring that amount in cash. Perhaps you might have a discount for cash? Yes. Great!

"Thanks, bye!"

Easy Peasy!!

Yoohoo 'shopify' - go suck eggs.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”