Guns Allowed in Texas Polling Places

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Guns Allowed in Texas Polling Places

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Ok. Allowed for SOME people in SOME polling places.
Election workers who run polling places now have the state's blessing to carry guns there. In an opinion released Tuesday, Attorney General Ken Paxton said so-called election judges who are licensed to carry a firearm can do so during the performance of their official duties.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/electio ... ew-opinion

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/08/2 ... ng-places/

I'll admit, I'm conflicted about this. Living in a rural area, with little or no or delayed police response, I understand the situation that brought about this action. So I'm glad that SOMEone MAY be able to carry a firearm in a polling place in case the need ever arises. That's the good news.

On the other hand, there may or may not be an armed LTC worker at all polling places - it depends on whether the local election judge has an LTC or not, and if so, whether they choose to carry or not. Even if they do have an LTC, and even if they do choose to carry it in the polling place, and if something does happen, will he/she be willing to risk their life to save mine if necessary? After all, they are not sworn LEO, but just another LTC'er who also happens to be an election judge. Nothing against them - it's just that if I'm having to depend on an LTC'er to protect my life, I'd much rather that LTC'er be ME!

Also, I've looked over the referenced statutes, and I don't see anything close to saying that an election judge fits the description of an "active judicial official" as defined by the statute. I will concede that maybe the AG knows more about the law, but I do know how to read, and I just don't see it there. But apparently he does, so good for him.

But I guess my main beef is that here is yet one more carve out for "special" people, in this case allowing them to be able to carry a handgun in an area where a "regular," even licensed, person can not. And especially in this case, where the only thing "special" thing about the person with the "special" privileges is their political connection. Yes, that does twist my shorts. :mad5

JMHO. Feel free to change my mind for me!

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Guns Allowed in Texas Polling Places

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Oops. Already running I see. Nevermind. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93493

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”