Non resident alien firearm purchase

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
samman2018
Posts in topic: 12

Non resident alien firearm purchase

Post by samman2018 »

hello everyone my name is sam and this will be my first post on this great forum.

This is aimed more towards non resident aliens but i would love the imput of all knowledgable folks.

So since we have moved to texas we have has a couple of car break inns and also an attempted burglary. we live in a good area but for some reason we are being targeted by crime. long story short i think its about time to arm myself so i am able to protect my family. I am aware that by obtaining a hunting license and providing some other documents i am able to purchase a firearm, but my concern is due to our immigration status ( e2 visa issued in united kingdom) if i was denied for some reason, that this could affect our immigration status. i am obviously very clean in regards to criminal history and mental health as the visa we have would not have been granted. any help from non immigrants who have been through this process your imput would be much appreciated, and also any knowledgable posters also.

thank you guys

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Non resident alien firearm purchase

Post by Beiruty »

samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:17 pm hello everyone my name is sam and this will be my first post on this great forum.

This is aimed more towards non resident aliens but i would love the imput of all knowledgable folks.

So since we have moved to texas we have has a couple of car break inns and also an attempted burglary. we live in a good area but for some reason we are being targeted by crime. long story short i think its about time to arm myself so i am able to protect my family. I am aware that by obtaining a hunting license and providing some other documents i am able to purchase a firearm, but my concern is due to our immigration status ( e2 visa issued in united kingdom) if i was denied for some reason, that this could affect our immigration status. i am obviously very clean in regards to criminal history and mental health as the visa we have would not have been granted. any help from non immigrants who have been through this process your imput would be much appreciated, and also any knowledgable posters also.

thank you guys
It should not affect your immigration status at all. You are not breaking any law by trying to purchase a firearm legally.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

thank you for your response

i was just wondering that if it was declined for some reason is that not in fact breaking some law as they have declined you ?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:45 pm thank you for your response

i was just wondering that if it was declined for some reason is that not in fact breaking some law as they have declined you ?
Assume you were declined for non-eligibility because you are not a citizen or permanent resident. you were declined for non-eligiblity requirement, not for a committing a crime.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

And this is why I came to this forum, thank you sir

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Killadocg23 »

When I was a non immigrant student I bought a weapon and also got my LTC(class was free so why not?). Just make sure you have a valid hunting license and it’s all good. My FFL has sold weapons to non immigrants before and just needed copy of passport and hunting license. Since I had my LTC I walked out that day with the weapon took maybe 15 mins most. Just follow the rules and you’ll be fine !

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

Thanks for the reply, would I be better getting my ltc first do you think then ? And valid hunting licence I have this years in date, I haven’t done the hunters ed. Does that matter ?

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 4

Post by PriestTheRunner »

samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm Thanks for the reply, would I be better getting my ltc first do you think then ? And valid hunting licence I have this years in date, I haven’t done the hunters ed. Does that matter ?
I would throw in that LTC is probably only worth it to you if you plan on carrying outside of your residence and vehicle. Otherwise, you are covered by applicable laws. As such, just the hunting license and passport should suffice.

I will note though, I would not expect you to be able to buy a weapon and leave with it. I image that the NCIS background check will not immediately return an 'all clear' and that a FBI agent will need to contact your home country to verify you are on the correct side of the law there. This would also happen with a LTC background check, but once you have the LTC in hand, the seller of the firearm doesn't have to contact NCIS/FBI to do the check because you have a carry license. As such, when the check is complete you will get a call from the FFL (firearm seller) that you are cleared and to come pick up your firearm.

The only way it would put your immigration status in jeopardy is if you have any crimes (not minor stuff like speeding tickets, but bigger things) back home that you did not report. Even then it would be a stretch to have that information set you up for deportation. Just know that if you are hiding anything that you did not disclose on your immigration paperwork, this process could expose it. I hope that is not the case (and I doubt it is), just want to let you know the process.

Also, Not a lawyer, not legal advice. Good luck and let us know!

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

This thread might be of interest to you:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=74717
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

Thanks vol, I did read that one in detail. It was more the possible repercussions of a denial and my immigration status and if that would affect me.

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

Thanks priest, no I have had zero interaction with the police in the uk or USA never had a speeding ticket. I think they do an fbi and Interpol check for visa grant.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 4

Post by PriestTheRunner »

samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks priest, no I have had zero interaction with the police in the uk or USA never had a speeding ticket. I think they do an fbi and Interpol check for visa grant.
With a clear background check, I see absolutely no way you are denied and also no way that causes an immigration issue.

The legal workaround is a hunting license and LTC (if desired) and has been done many times before. If a judge were to use firearms ownership as 'evidence' that you weren't fit for citizenship at any point in the future, the right, the NRA, the TSRA and about a dozen others would be on that judge like white on rice. Lol.

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

Ha ha god bless the nra, it was more an immidete issue I was worried about. Like if I was declined the cops would show up and haul me away haha

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm Thanks for the reply, would I be better getting my ltc first do you think then ? And valid hunting licence I have this years in date, I haven’t done the hunters ed. Does that matter ?
It will make buying firearms quicker from most places if you have your LTC. With an LTC no NICS check is necessary (although some places will still do them). Some FFLs may not be as familiar with selling to non resident aliens and the easier you make it the quicker the buying process.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Hunter Ed is required for people born after September 2, 1971.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter ... on/faq#who

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”