How to Spot Misleading Statistics in the Gun Control Debate

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to Spot Misleading Statistics in the Gun Control Debate

Post by Maxwell »

I was expecting something like:
They all start with "Only xx% of..."
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

AndyC wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:23 pm An interesting point.
The question should not be, "Do guns prevent crime?" The question should be, "Are guns useful at resisting crime?"
To illustrate the difference, let’s suppose that I encounter a mugger while taking a walk. I brandish my firearm to the mugger, who is undeterred and rushes me with a knife. I then shoot the mugger, stopping the crime. In that situation, my gun has failed to prevent a crime, but it was successful at resisting a crime. The gun was an effective and reasonable means of self-defense even though it failed to deter the would-be mugger.
https://fee.org/articles/how-to-spot-mi ... ol-debate/
In both cases the answer is yes. Jail/prison interviews with offenders show a very high percentage of them having been previously deterred knowing or suspecting their target was armed and that about 75% of them know of others who have also been so deterred.

As for the rest, you won't stop an armed, determined attacker with a few kind words.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

One of the major problems with the gun control debate is the focus on crime overall. It really doesn't matter whether guns reduce crime or assist in resisting crime. The fact of the matter is that the right to own and bear all weapons (guns, knives, bows and arrows, missiles, tanks, cannon, etc.) is based on the fact that our system says that the citizen is the sovereign, not the government. This concept not only helps preserve the right to own firearms by guaranteeing our ability to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government, it actually lays a duty upon us to be prepared to take control back over the government.

In the US, citizens have a responsibility to control the government, first through voting but through whatever means necessary. We have been working hard on the first part but we all must remember that the second part is also our duty. I pray that it doesn't become necessary but I also pray that we are prepared if it does.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”