SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING AWARENESS DAY

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING AWARENESS DAY

Post by chasfm11 »

I have been the victim of neighbor bias reporting. So has my son, who lives not far away. This is the practice of
a neighbor who wishes something were illegal trying to use governmental entities (code enforcement, law enforcement) to
make their desires into reality. Unfortunately in this day of exception driven actions, this can result in
undeserved harassment of people who have done no wrong.

We often talk on this forum about the first person who calls police dispatch after a shooting being the one
more credibility. At least after an event, there is the opportunity for the person who was defending themselves to be
that caller. In the case of a neighbor or just someone passing through making an undetected report, there is no such opportunity for the one being
targeted to gain that advantage. They will always be on the defensive.

Our system of justice, as guaranteed by the Constitution, carries the presumption of innocence. This is not unique
to the United States. The Roman Empire held this truth
maxim ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
It says nothing about the one filing a report having the only credibility and the person being accused having to prove
their innocence.

That said, I believe that alerting authorities to potential problems is not wrong, any more than intervening in an
active situation where a evil person is gaining the upper hand is wrong. It is what and how the authorities do with
the report than turns it into being something good or bad.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 am I have been the victim of neighbor bias reporting. So has my son, who lives not far away. This is the practice of
a neighbor who wishes something were illegal trying to use governmental entities (code enforcement, law enforcement) to
make their desires into reality. Unfortunately in this day of exception driven actions, this can result in
undeserved harassment of people who have done no wrong.

We often talk on this forum about the first person who calls police dispatch after a shooting being the one
more credibility. At least after an event, there is the opportunity for the person who was defending themselves to be
that caller. In the case of a neighbor or just someone passing through making an undetected report, there is no such opportunity for the one being
targeted to gain that advantage. They will always be on the defensive.

Our system of justice, as guaranteed by the Constitution, carries the presumption of innocence. This is not unique
to the United States. The Roman Empire held this truth
maxim ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
It says nothing about the one filing a report having the only credibility and the person being accused having to prove
their innocence.

That said, I believe that alerting authorities to potential problems is not wrong, any more than intervening in an
active situation where a evil person is gaining the upper hand is wrong. It is what and how the authorities do with
the report than turns it into being something good or bad.
Good point here. Be the first to call it in and get your version on record with the 911 operator.

Keep the details to a bare minimum and don't get engaged in a long, drawn out discussion of what happened.

"I had no choice, he was about to kill me, my wife, my neighbor, etc and the address etc.

Make your next call to USCCA or [Pre-paid legal service].
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

We have a constable who has been posting "Be a Better Victim" type messages on nextdoor.com. He closes the comments immediately, so there is no way to respond directly.

I post corresponding "Don't Be a Victim" messages when I have the time and inclination. I don't know if it does any good. Nextdoor.com is kind of a joke anyway.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”