The Success of Concealed Carry at Texas Public Colleges

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The Success of Concealed Carry at Texas Public Colleges

Post by oljames3 »

:txflag: :thumbs2:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:40 pm
Campus carry, approved by the Texas legislature in 2015 and implemented a year later, allows those with concealed carry permits to possess firearms on public college campuses. The ruling expanded a 20-year-old law by allowing concealed carry permit holders to carry firearms inside buildings, rather than only on campus property open spaces.

In the two years since the law took effect, Texas colleges have been free of mass gun violence, much like previous years.
https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2018/10 ... -colleges/
So you're saying that everything the anti-2A crowd said hasn't come to pass? Shocking! :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Once again the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy study has been proven correct:
studies ...suggest there is no reason for laws prohibiting gun possession by ordinary, law ‐ abiding responsible adults because such people virtually never murder. If one accepts that such adults are far more likely to be victims of violent crime than to commit it, disarming them becomes not just unproductive but counterproductive.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

But.... But... Aren't all of the professors, going to get shot, for bringing up controversial topics??
Evidently, they aren't as controversial, as they thought they were. :headscratch

I'm confused, by the statement regarding, the shooting of a Texas Tech LEO. He said, the shooter, would not have been eligible for an LTC, but then tried to shade the argument, that Campus Carry, was not a deterrent. Anyone willing to shoot a LEO, would not be deterred, by civilians, carrying anyway. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jusme wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm But.... But... Aren't all of the professors, going to get shot, for bringing up controversial topics??
Evidently, they aren't as controversial, as they thought they were. :headscratch

I'm confused, by the statement regarding, the shooting of a Texas Tech LEO. He said, the shooter, would not have been eligible for an LTC, but then tried to shade the argument, that Campus Carry, was not a deterrent. Anyone willing to shoot a LEO, would not be deterred, by civilians, carrying anyway. JMHO
Perhaps. But there is some suggestion otherwise
https://www.wnd.com/2016/06/57-of-crimi ... than-cops/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:28 am
Jusme wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm But.... But... Aren't all of the professors, going to get shot, for bringing up controversial topics??

Oh I don't doubt, that fear of armed citizens, is a huge deterrent to the majority, of criminals. My point being, that the author, tried to make it sound like the argument, that campus carry deterred crime, did not hold up, due to this one incident. My point was that LEO are always armed, and yet one miscreant, decided to shoot anyway. This mention, had no place in any discussion, regarding campus carry, it's not germane to the entire article. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Jusme wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:46 am
chasfm11 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:28 am

Oh I don't doubt, that fear of armed citizens, is a huge deterrent to the majority, of criminals. My point being, that the author, tried to make it sound like the argument, that campus carry deterred crime, did not hold up, due to this one incident. My point was that LEO are always armed, and yet one miscreant, decided to shoot anyway. This mention, had no place in any discussion, regarding campus carry, it's not germane to the entire article. JMHO
Agreed. A non-LTC punk shooting a cop in the police station has NOTHING to do with the concept of Campus Carry not deterring crime. Mentioning it is simply a red herring.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

AndyC wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 am
The question should not be, "Do guns prevent crime?" The question should be, "Are guns useful at resisting crime?"
https://fee.org/articles/how-to-spot-mi ... ol-debate/
Great post Andy; I think we all need to re-think the argument; it is about effective resistance to crime vs. deterrence or prevention...I know the light went on for me.
thanks again
Dave :txflag:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”